• SONAR
  • IRQ Problems.. I think... BSOD!! (p.2)
2004/11/06 17:24:13
fif4lifefif
Jimtoonz-

This problem started just recently- I've installed a new HDD and the Delta 1010 recently- after that is when my problems started- I assume they're the cause.
Ususally, the computer is just on w/AIM running, nothing else, and I'll go somewhere (like the store, to a movie, whatever), and it'll be crashed. But yes, if I start it and leave it running, it does happend. However, it seems as though if I'm using the computer, it doesn't happen.

MZTEK-

I'm using a PC Chips M811LU (or something like that). I still need the onboard sound, because the computer gets moved around, and I use the onboard sound for listening in other places. However, the problem still occurs when the onboard sound is disabled.

losguy-

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check the application out.
2004/11/06 18:20:11
Jimtoonz
I am in agreement with those who are suggesting that you return your CPU to spec clocking and see if it has any impact on the issue.

Also, you mentioned that you installed a new HD. Did you use the manufacturer's installation software ? Some of these products such as Maxtor's MaxBlast may install a dynamic drive overlay without letting you know. A dynamic drive overlay(DDO) is used is when a motherboard's BIOS does not recognize the full capacity of a hard drive. The DDO is a software translation driver that is installed by a modification of the master boot record so that it is the first thing loaded, overriding some of the BIOS code with its own driver. DDOs are known to cause instability in many installations and I STRONGLY discourage their use in DAWs. You can check this by looking to see that your BIOS correctly recognizes the full size of the drive in the BIOS setup screen. If it does not, then use the installation software provided by the vendor and look to see what it tells you regarding the presence of a DDO on the drive. How old is the motherboard ? If it is 2 years (give or take) there is a chance that it might not recognize the new HD in its BIOS. If this turns out to be true, look on the MB manufacturer's site to see if a newer BIOS is available that will allow the MB to see the larger drive geometry.

Your mention of having AIM running on the machine is troublesome. AIM is a software piece that I would NEVER run on a DAW. If you are serious about recording and working with audio, keep things like IM clients off your machine. This type of software is likely to use needed resources, is a potential security risk, and can interrupt audio playback or recording. If you are an AOL subscriber and use the full AOL client, then BY ALL MEANS put it on a second machine. The AOL client is a software that is highly intrusive at lots of levels and has no place on a DAW. In a general sense, I prefer that audio machines are not used as web browser machines and are run without firewall, anti-virus, and spyware detection coponents that are ESSENTIAL on an internet connected PC. All of these things can impact performance. They are probably NOT the cause of your BSOD, but are things you should address.

As the machine is used for IM and (I'm guessing) browsing, have you scanned it for spyware and virus issues ? Some infections can result in extreme instability.

Beyond looking for the DDO issue, I might suggest an uninstall/reinstall of your sound card after reviewing the BIOS settings to see that any and all unused devices are disabled. MZTEK is correct that disabling the onboard card is a good idea. DAWs should have the system sounds disabled. What do you listen to that you could not use the 1010 ?

If none of this helps, we'll try again.
2004/11/06 18:22:09
TjTisTru
Ahhhh,

Aint it great New software, new cards….

Just got Fireface800 and Sonar 4….+ a bunch O’ other Sh*t 2 weeks ago.

Before that it was DLL always giving me grief.

IMOP

Seems to me that XP and the DLL files will conflict when one prog (dll) wants to be god. audio card VS. the software (sonar etc etc) Sonar wants the sound card to respond (waiting for response) sound card want the software to speak up (that Make sense???)

loop 101

Clean install is always the best way to go, load the DLL’s in order of use.

ASIO from Creative products are causing me major grief, and that after a clean re-format and load, even when I ask/tell the sys to ignore the sound blaster. I’ll still get errors while trying asio vs. mme vs. wdm/hated kernel streaming.

How do I know? I get a nice little “window” with the Sound blaster ASIO logo on it saying this program does not exist…. (After disabling the sound card)

ASIO causes Sonar to become unresponsive while using ASIO – it will hang and never open. I believe now that has a lot to do with Fireface – even the terminology is conflicting in both manuals…. And of course Fireface says don’t use wdm. Which makes sense why double/triple the process when all “we” want is a “straight path”.

I can’t even get Sonar to recognize (it “sees” them, but I cant use it) the MME 32 bit drivers from fireface.

IMOP

Hence the DLL conflict, when the program has to decide which path to follow it goes on dll “hierarchy” (who is god /who do I recognize first) Plus I read awhile back that DLL and XP where conflicting all the time, The 1st DLL was never deleted and maintained 1st call even when not in use.

No big deal for those who do not try out a lot of software, but if your like me and always trying new the thing, then that DL library is full of crazy paths,,,,, my understanding is some that don’t even exist.

Re-install OS and load in order of use – OS – Fireface ( your soundcard)- Sonar. Then maybe Creative Products.

I have to do it again and I will leave out the creative products. (See previous post)
Pretty Blue Screen O' Death on XP (in Project 5 forum)

That’s if you want a dedicated “box”

If you continually install new software like I do, you better have a box just for trail and error and that’s if you don’t mind “losing” your box every couple of months…

And if I am in total error in the post, please tell me,

That will help me a lot…

: )

Still trying to figure out my rig….

TJ
2004/11/07 22:34:08
fif4lifefif
thanks a lot.

the problem with having a 'dedicated box' is that for that to happen, I'd have to spend another $300 I don't have (I work at a Subway and make like $250/a month, and have a $60 cell phone bill... leaving me with approx. $190 a month, which is better than nothing i suppose..). So this computer has to serve as a home pc and a studio pc until I can build a new one..

However, I don't think that makes me any less serious about recording...
2004/11/08 01:00:53
hybrid3
I had a similar problem on my 2nd computer with BSOD and lockups, sometimes I got the IRQL-message you mentioned.

After trying newer drivers for everything and the problem still persisted, I did a complete reinstall. Still, the problem was present.

After suspecting the hardware, I found one of the memory modules causing the problems. After removing it, problem was solved (though I am now running on 256MB of RAM instead of 512...).
2004/11/08 02:29:25
Saxon1066
ORIGINAL: hybrid3

I had a similar problem on my 2nd computer with BSOD and lockups, sometimes I got the IRQL-message you mentioned.

After trying newer drivers for everything and the problem still persisted, I did a complete reinstall. Still, the problem was present.

After suspecting the hardware, I found one of the memory modules causing the problems. After removing it, problem was solved (though I am now running on 256MB of RAM instead of 512...).

How is it that memory can cause an IRQ problem? Is it just that Windows give you whacked-out error messages?
2004/11/08 03:50:47
hybrid3
> it just that Windows give you whacked-out error messages?

Most likely! Of course, a did put a lot of efforts into the IRQ's since that was the indication of what I thought was causing the problem, I even pulled out all cards except the graphic card to free some IRQ's but that didn't help either.
2004/11/08 09:49:47
losguy
ORIGINAL: Saxon1066
How is it that memory can cause an IRQ problem? Is it just that Windows give you whacked-out error messages?

On a computer, the CPU runs everything from memory, including the OS (Windows), applications (SONAR), and yes, drivers too. Firing up an app and opening a file simply moves it from the hard disk over to memory where the CPU can crunch on it. When the CPU runs across a bad bit of memory, an error flag is thrown by the CPU, Windows catches it, and halts with a dump of whatever was running. Since some driver or another is almost always being run (and since drivers are almost always tied to an IRQ) you get an IRQ message. That's the "street version" of what's going on with your BSODs. (The real story is probably similar but much more detailed and boring, so you can follow this one for now.)

Short of an old or corrupted driver, I strongly suspect fif's computer has a memory problem, similar to what hybrid3 described. The fact that it's being OC'd makes it even more likely. It only adds weight to my earlier suggestion:

Memtest86

Unlike hybrid3, though, fif may not have to toss his memory stick. Run memtest86 first, and if you encounter errors, then ease back on the clock, the memory latency, or both, until the errors go away. Depending on what memory you have, I would start with memory timings that matched factory specs, and then play with the CPU clock rates until I hit the fastest rate that gave me reliable operation.
2004/11/08 15:15:25
fif4lifefif
thanks a lot... I d/ld the test program, but haven't had time to run it yet.
2004/11/09 18:18:47
fif4lifefif
ok, so I downloaded the program and put it on a floppy. Then, I set (in the BIOS) my computer to boot from the floppy drive. However, this did not work- the computer just said that there was a 'boot disk error.'
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account