• SONAR
  • IRQ Problems.. I think... BSOD!! (p.8)
2004/11/29 19:04:41
Saxon1066
Ok, madcow. I'll give that a try. By the way, anyone, what is the best way to remove a PCI card? First use device manager to uninstall drivers before physcially removing the card? In my case, it's a firewire card, which had no drivers to install.
2004/11/29 22:13:04
losguy
ORIGINAL: canum
WRT moving your 1010 to a different slot, I've read that the PCI slot closest to your AGP connector shares an IRQ with it so it's best to select another slot. In my case, the 1010 is in the "last" slot... the one furthest away from the AGP connector.

Glad that worked, but that's not a recipe that works for everyone. As far as slot sharing goes, it's best to check the PCI table in your MOBO manual. Otherwise, it's a total crapshoot.
2004/11/29 22:14:19
losguy
ORIGINAL: Saxon1066
Ok, madcow. I'll give that a try. By the way, anyone, what is the best way to remove a PCI card? First use device manager to uninstall drivers before physcially removing the card? In my case, it's a firewire card, which had no drivers to install.

No need to ununstall drivers. Just turn it off, static-protect yourself, and move the card.
2004/11/29 23:25:14
madcow
ORIGINAL: losguy

No need to ununstall drivers. Just turn it off, static-protect yourself, and move the card.

Exactly...and it will re-install the driver when Windows Plug and Pray finds the device.

Also...the mobo manual only goes to say IRQ 15. For instance, my 424 card is on IRQ 17. So yes...it can be a crap shoot.
2004/12/04 03:39:55
Saxon1066
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIIIIVVVE!

I've had 3 heavy-duty recording sessions now, about 3 hours each, and only at the end of the last did I get an IRQ BSOD. (I think that may be because I had my USB hard drive on that time.)

This feels miraculous. For the past couple of months, I had gotten a BSOD about every 10-20 minutes, at unexpected times, like saving. Now I can really push it, adding markers on the fly, undoing and redoing, editing clips--NO PROBLEM!

The main cure, obviously, was finding the right permutation for the memory modules, using MemTest86. It may have been a subtle RAM problem, because it always took MemTest four passes to start finding the errors. Now I pass MemTest over and over again without errors.

I think it helped to move my firewire card into another slot--no longer next to (duh!) the graphics card. Sonar had been very shaky about recognizing my MOTU 896. I often had to go into the ASIO panel and just "OK" it to get the MOTU working. That problem has lessened a great deal after moving the card.

I've been struggling with the Dell computer for over a year, getting blue screens and pops and crackles far too often to record seriously. It's still not the best for audio, but it does work now!

Thanks a million to everyone who has helped in this forum, especially Losguy the Great, but also madcow and others
2004/12/04 04:49:30
fif4lifefif
Yes, I too have conquered the almighty BSOD! After installing newer, more high-quality RAM, I have eliminated ALL BSODing! Thanks to all who contributed to "my" succes!
2004/12/04 11:45:07
losguy
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIIIIVVVE!
The main cure, obviously, was finding the right permutation for the memory modules, using MemTest86. It may have been a subtle RAM problem, because it always took MemTest four passes to start finding the errors. Now I pass MemTest over and over again without errors.
I think it helped to move my firewire card into another slot--no longer next to (duh!) the graphics card. Sonar had been very shaky about recognizing my MOTU 896. I often had to go into the ASIO panel and just "OK" it to get the
MOTU working. That problem has lessened a great deal after moving the card.

Sounds like you're on top of it now. Excellent!

I've been struggling with the Dell computer for over a year, getting blue screens and pops and crackles far too often to record seriously. It's still not the best for audio, but it does work now!

Yeah, you're not alone with that experience. It's strange how something that's as rock-solid for business desktop apps as a Dell can be so miserable at real-time interactive apps.

Thanks a million to everyone who has helped in this forum, especially Losguy the Great...

Now don't go starting that! Next you know everybody will be calling me the "King of Town"!
2004/12/04 11:46:16
losguy
ORIGINAL: fif4lifefif
Yes, I too have conquered the almighty BSOD! After installing newer, more high-quality RAM, I have eliminated ALL BSODing! Thanks to all who contributed to "my" succes!

Cool! Thanks for the good news.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account