2013/11/09 13:15:08
Splat
Whoever recommended this thankyou - this is a time saver!
http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php
Although you MUST decline the second time it prompts you otherwise it installs a toolbar and some adware (remove via Add/Remove Programs).

Procedure:
Run.... Next -> Accept -> Decline -> Next -> Next -> Finish.

Updated 18 Dec 2013

After you install it:

When running driver boost go to settings (down arrow at the top), disable "Automatically launch at program startup" and "Minimize to system Tray when closed.

Go to Task scheduler and delete any tasks to do with Driver booster.

Thanks

Alex
2013/11/17 13:09:47
2:43AM
This is interesting. Thank you.

I wonder, however, how this software knows something is outdated, and how does it install an updated version, especially to a Windows device, when even Windows Update does not detect an outdated driver?

Upon Driver Booster updating a USB driver, I did notice the icon changed for an SD card that is located in my multi-format card reader. It now is labeled with a big Helvetica "SD" logo and a non-Windows-esque icon. So did it load its own set of drivers? A trick perhaps?

As of now, I am talking the "updates" with a grain of salt.
2013/11/17 14:53:36
Splat
>So did it load its own set of drivers? A trick perhaps?
No. Find out exactly what you updated, roll back, then go to the website where the drivers actually came from, install directly and you will see exactly the same behavior...

> when even Windows Update does not detect an outdated driver?
 Windows update not detecting the latest drivers is normal. Simply put windows update only handles drivers submitted by manufacturer to Microsoft, and often Microsoft are so far way behind (they want to certify everything) that manufacturers simply submit a driver to MS once or twice a year.

If you are that panicky about it you can simply run it to see what drivers you are missing and install them direct from the manufacturers website yourself (which is what I tend to do anyway). The usefulness of this tool is mainly to educate people where they can find drivers, and to update rivers they might not have considered upgrading (e.g. firewire chipset drivers are often overlooked).

As long as you've installed it correctly (see first post) it is totally legit.

Cheers

Alex

2013/11/17 17:22:04
mettelus
Holy cow, I posted that 5 weeks ago  http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2909231 I do not (and will never) endorse anything I do not use, or isn't effective.

Iobit has a nice suite called "Advanced System Care" which also includes a free version that is about 75% functional. I have used it now for 2 years (pro version), and is very effective and loaded with machine optimization goodies. The Driver Booster release just happened to coincide with X3 and my return to the forum, and seemed it would help out a lot of folks.

The "Driver Booster" was launched with ASC 7, and is free (for now). As with all software, I don't install the "garbage" and often disable it from startup in msconfig. Depending on how new an OS or hardware is, it may not need to be run more than once (newer OS and hardware probably weekly or so).
2013/11/17 18:04:38
Splat
Yup it's your fault ! :)
Just a reminder though you must use the instructions in original post or get "ad-related functionality" on your PC though which is putting people off in droves I notice. But again I says it's good....

2013/11/17 18:34:36
Geo524
I have the entire suite ASC 7 Pro. I used IObit years ago on my internet PC but never installed it on my audio PC till now. It's good stuff.
2013/11/17 18:36:45
mettelus
I only make recommendations, not twist people's arms about things. The rest is simply "choice"
2013/11/17 20:05:10
Splat
Absolutely.....

2013/11/24 19:38:52
mettelus
The "honeymoon" on this may be over. I popped it open last night for a weekly check, and they choked the download speed to ~11KB/s with an upgrade option to "increase your download speed" by purchasing the upgrade. I just killed it and did it manually... oh well, was good while it lasted.
2013/11/24 20:39:55
Splat
Well it's useful enough for me just to have something to detect there may be updated drivers. I don't mind installing them manually but it's a pain having to go site to site just to see if an upgrade exists.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account