• SONAR
  • [Solved] how do I make Kontakt louder than 127?
2014/02/06 15:03:34
Matt
I can't believe I never noticed this before... it just didn't come up I guess until I'm working with a really soft sample.

With Sonar set to "127":

The corresponding Kontakt instrument is set to "0.0":

So how could I set the Kontakt instrument to say "+4.0"?  As soon as I hit play in Sonar it will get the volume=127 message and revert back to 0.0.  I know I could either try to edit the Kontakt instrument or send it out it's own port and boost the audio volume within Sonar.  But let's just say it's mixed in with a bunch of other loud sounds, is there any way to send Kontakt a +4.0 message?
2014/02/06 15:23:49
Guitarpima
Your going about it the wrong way. Lower your midi values and bring up the volume using the audio portion of Kontakt's outputs.
2014/02/06 15:26:55
Sidroe
There is a setting in Options that allows you to add some decibels of loudness if the volume is maxed out. It's on the audio tab if I remember correctly.
2014/02/06 15:28:08
Sidroe
I'm sorry! That's Options on Kontakt.
2014/02/06 15:41:46
Matt
Guitarpima
Your going about it the wrong way. Lower your midi values and bring up the volume using the audio portion of Kontakt's outputs.

This is a good point I never thought of that.  But I have dozens and dozens of samples that I've been using for so long I know exactly the level I want them in my mix... like for a certain cymbal swell the difference between how volume=70 and volume=75 will sit in the mix.  I would rather not re-learn all these numbers if possible.
2014/02/06 15:43:43
dcumpian
Change the output in Kontakt, from "st. 1" to Custom output. Then, open the "Outputs" pane in Kontakt and pull the fader up for your new Custom output.

Regards,
Dan

2014/02/06 15:48:33
Matt
Also... I can't crank Kontakt audio high enough for this sample!  To make the other instruments on the same output a comparable level I would have to set most of them to volume=40 in Sonar... which turns down the Kontakt volume by -20.0.  But I can only turn the output level up another +6.0.  So now everything is just soft!

Sidroe I can't find what you're talking about in the options menu... anything more specific?

2014/02/06 15:53:59
Matt
dcumpian
Change the output in Kontakt, from "st. 1" to Custom output. Then, open the "Outputs" pane in Kontakt and pull the fader up for your new Custom output.

Regards,
Dan

This is perfect thanks!  I boosted that instrument +12.0 now I have it set to volume=110 in Sonar which even gives me room to turn it up a bit if I need to and it is a similar volume to everything else.  Thanks again!
I guess it was really a Kontakt question not a Sonar question...
2014/02/06 16:11:44
robert_e_bone
While you are in there, using the Output Section, this is a hopefully helpful tip.

For whatever the worth, I always use the Output Section, as I always load up whatever instruments I will be using, (Piano, Bass, Strings, Organ, etc.), then use the batch function to clear the output section and create separate outputs for each loaded instrument.  This gives each instrument its own stereo output, but the names are goofy  - Kontakt uses a mashed up version of the preset name.

So, to make the output section channel names more readable, which is useful to fix prior to setting input routing assignments on the audio tracks, I rename each of the output channels, so that instead of something goofy - like 'Bechstein Mood', I end up with Piano, Strings, Bass, etc.  Doing this makes it much easier to see what is what when I look at inputs on channel strips in the Console.

Each loaded instrument then has its own output section fader, to give you more volume when needed.

I hope you find the above to be helpful, 

Bob Bone

2014/02/06 17:42:18
John
Not sure if this has been mentioned but each instrument has  tool header and to the right is a volume control just below the meter. 

I often setup my Kontakt with 16 outs in the mixer of Kontakt. Then I set each instrument to go to its own mixer channel and that is set to its own Sonar track. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account