• SONAR
  • What causes wave to be flattened above zero only? (p.4)
2014/10/13 17:51:55
gswitz
On closer review, it had already limited to -6 before I changed the Mics. The track clipped off the negative a couple of times during that song, but it was hard limiting above 0 at -6.

Then after I changed the Mic I was at -12.

2014/10/13 18:21:30
gswitz
2014/10/13 19:18:26
The Maillard Reaction

2014/10/13 19:38:50
gswitz
Mike,

I recorded the line direct as well, and that signal doesn't show the squaring off above 0.

I was also in the room, and I can confirm that what it sounds like when I replay the track recorded with the Guitar Cube is not what it sounded like in the room. It's all crackly and f-d up.

So, I'm pretty sure it was power to the guitar cube that was the issue. I've used the guitar cube before. And just prior to using the guitar cube, I was using the MXL. The MXL 63M limited the above 0 to -6. The Guitar Cube to -12.

I think the problem is definitely power supply to the mics.

I've never had the problem before. I did have a pile of things plugged in. I'll try using the 2 Neumanns again with the others and see if I can replicate it again.

Do you think I can crank the gain or do I have to record something pretty loud in order to replicate?

I'm going to try replicating with only the 2 neumanns and the guitar cube and see what I get.

More to follow.

Geoff

PS... when I say it clipped before I changed the Mics I mean it did clip. I had the gain all the way down and the mic was clipping.
2014/10/13 20:10:00
gswitz
I just tried the 2 Neumanns and the Guitar Cube.
Next I added the MXL v63m.
I only used them for a couple of minutes but the problem didn't occur.

These 4 inputs are the only ones with Phantom Power. I could plug in 8 Mics...

I turned up the gain and clipped them, but I wasn't making a lot of noise. You know, I wonder if the volume has an impact. 
2014/10/13 20:17:29
The Maillard Reaction

2014/10/13 20:43:36
gswitz
Mike, I think I'm going to be wary of the device. :-)

I'm not sure how to do all those tests. I do have a voltage meter and soldering kit but...

If I had more time, I might try to plug in all 8 mics the way I had them in that basement, but one of the lines was a direct off an amp and etc. Some things I won't be able to replicate exactly. I'm chalking it up to experience.

I'm not sure I'm going to get to the bottom of it. I've returned to mixing. One of the band members is coming over tomorrow and I want to get the mixes I've done switched to use only the direct guitar patch and get it to sound as close to his undistorted amp sound as I can using TH2.

Remember a couple of years ago you recommended I drop a couple of bills on the Behringer ADA8000 or 8200 which is out now. I keep wishing I could wait to afford something better. I do need something like it. The 8000 is only like 200 now that the 8200 is out. 

What I really want is the RME OctaMic single U coolness.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OctaMicXTC?adpos=1o5&creative=54989553361&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw8O2hBRDKur2lseLW6C8SJAC-r1J3WWL603sguoPTP8W-CcKRDLDmvs_mZFym6NQEm2QjgBoCUZTw_wcB

Not sure my family deserves the financial punishment so I keep holding out. I've been carpooling to work to save my pennies. Maybe some day. This year it was the Neumann's. That's enough for now. I'll keep muddling through for a bit.
2014/10/13 21:33:07
The Maillard Reaction

2014/10/14 07:27:14
gswitz
Thank you Mike! I am totally convinced that this is what happened to me.

I really appreciate your help!

For me, it is enough to know it can happen. Next time, I'll bring preamps to lighten the load.

I've used and loved my tascam for so long! This is the first time I asked too much of it.

I just need to be tender with my old war horse.
2014/10/14 07:43:42
gswitz
I think I should put star stickers on my devices for every good session... Like football tackles. They'd be covered!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account