• SONAR
  • Please Remove the Challende/Response Activation (for users who pay upfront) (p.2)
2015/01/17 12:03:56
yevster
Dave000

I know that Waves is setup that way, Ik seems the same or moving in that direction.
Actually, Waves is not that way. You can save your license to a USB drive and it will just work on any machine where you have your USB drive plugged in.

IK is that way. The challenge and response are the same for a single machine, but to install on a new machine, you need to activate.

I don't mind C/R for a company whose future appears secure for years, but given Cakewalk's history, I wouldn't trust it with C/R.
2015/01/17 12:45:30
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]
drjee
Hi,

all in all, I find the new system (choose to subscribe or pay up-front) fair enough. What I really do not like is challenge/response. From what I learnt reading the forum, a machine specific code is created and each install on an new machine must be activated separately. I do not like the idea that I am dependent on Cakewalk to exist to be able to activate my software. Therefore, I would rather accept a dongle. Cakewalk's liberal copy protection system was one of the main reasons why I chose Sonar (and not, for example, Cubase). Now, that seems to have changed. Please, remove the challenge/response for users who pay up-front (just as it used to be).

cheers, drjee

Our challenge/response offline activation has nothing to do with whether or not you've purchased upfront or chose to purchase monthly. SONAR is delivered to you in the same fashion in both ways.

1. If you're computer is connected to the internet then there is no challenge/response activation. You just login to Command Center and then Command Center will download/install the software. Serial numbers and all that is taken care of for you. This applies to SONAR, Dimension Pro, Rapture etc. This works on multiple computers and multiple systems running SONAR. Still pretty liberal, just a smarter- liberal way of doing it :)

Watch this video for activating SONAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG62qz0_q88

2. If your computer is offline then you have to activate with a challenge/response type of mechanism. In this case then yes - but it's painless and doesn't require any large amount of time. You can check this out here:

Offline activation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIgly_GjoI 
2015/01/17 13:23:17
Anderton
yevster
I don't mind C/R for a company whose future appears secure for years, but given Cakewalk's history, I wouldn't trust it with C/R.

Well, in addition to what Dan said, Cakewalk is now owned by a multi-billion dollar company and has been doing well since the acquisition, so I wouldn't be too worried.
2015/01/17 14:04:45
Vastman
OP... you're ridiculous!  This was the most painless installation of ANYTHING I can recall... Get a friggin' life!

Btw, I'd mark this solved... too bad we can't mark it: erroneous post resolved...  Headlines like this OP used just infuriate me...

2015/01/17 14:27:11
tlw
I'll admit that I much prefer the pre-2015 installation process because I can keep copies of the installers, serial and registration codes locally and reinstal on any PC capable of running Sonar even if Cakewalk the company no longer exists. I also have severe doubts whether Calkewalk could, as a final act of the company, remove all copy protection and make the installers a free download as Cakewalk staff have indicated on this forum. It would depend on the circumstances.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK if Cakewalk/their owners went bankrupt the software code and the possibility of charging for support would be regarded as a highly valuable financial asset by the reciever in bankruptcy. The reciever would be running the residual company, seeking to maximise its value so that the maximum possible can be paid to creditors, either by realising assets or selling the company. The owner (or staff) simply giving away a potentially valuable asset would not be allowed, and if the asset were given away at the point the company was clearly bankrupt but had not yet sought the protection of bankruptcy the owner/staff might find themselves in a great deal of trouble.

Having said that, the only alternative to Sonar I can readily see myself using is Logic Pro, and exactly the same situation arises with Logic as well. So I've just bought Sonar Platinum anyway.

I guess the safest answer is to not only back up projects and audio data but to also export all MIDI stems so that the project can be recreated, as far as possible, in other software if required.
2015/01/17 14:55:18
drjee
Dan Gonzalez [Cakewalk]

Our challenge/response offline activation has nothing to do with whether or not you've purchased upfront or chose to purchase monthly. SONAR is delivered to you in the same fashion in both ways.

1. If you're computer is connected to the internet then there is no challenge/response activation. You just login to Command Center and then Command Center will download/install the software. Serial numbers and all that is taken care of for you. This applies to SONAR, Dimension Pro, Rapture etc. This works on multiple computers and multiple systems running SONAR. Still pretty liberal, just a smarter- liberal way of doing it :)

Watch this video for activating SONAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG62qz0_q88

2. If your computer is offline then you have to activate with a challenge/response type of mechanism. In this case then yes - but it's painless and doesn't require any large amount of time. You can check this out here:

Offline activation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIgly_GjoI 

I did not say there is a difference, I said it should work the old way (receive a gereal activation code that can be used on any computer) for up-front buyers.
Both cases you describe require the Cakewalk servers to be operating in the future (and to perform the required task). I do not want to depend on that.
2015/01/17 14:59:56
John T
yevster

I don't have a view on the wider point, but this jumped out at me as an odd statement. Cakewalk has been in business continuously for 28 years, and if you take Cakewalk / Cakewalk Pro Audio / Sonar / Sonar X as a single product line, has been making a living off it's flagship product continually from day one. One can never predict the future, but it wouldn't pain me too much to bet a fiver on it being around for a good while longer.
2015/01/17 15:00:35
John T
Aside from that, it's not clear to me what's changed; as far as I can work out, it's the same as it's always been. Maybe I missed a detail somewhere.

2015/01/17 15:00:42
drjee
Anderton
yevster

Well, in addition to what Dan said, Cakewalk is now owned by a multi-billion dollar company and has been doing well since the acquisition, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Isn't Roland a multi-billion dollar company. And did't they sell the software to Gibson which now introduced challemnge/Response? Who tells me that Gibson does not change its mind and resell Cakewalk? And who knows what the new owner is going to do? It might not be very likely that I won't be able to activate in future but it is in no way sure.
2015/01/17 15:03:26
drjee
John T
Aside from that, it's not clear to me what's changed; as far as I can work out, it's the same as it's always been. Maybe I missed a detail somewhere.

yes, you missed a detail somewhere. Just read the post by Dan Gonzalez ...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account