• Techniques
  • Comparison of bass on different bounces of the same song (p.2)
2015/05/13 21:34:51
gswitz
Wow! Thanks folks!

(Only 10 minutes)
https://youtu.be/gal_VrOytEg

I've thrown up another where I play with the AutoDynamicEQ.
I also solo up the bounces on this tune without a bass boost in TotalMix. I was feeling guilty for having that on there. I was aiming it at people listening on laptop speakers and I get you Pros! :-)

Bit, I'm so grateful for your ears. I so totally want this to completely ROCK!
2015/05/14 10:47:07
bitflipper
Sounds like you're closing in with the dynamic EQ approach. That curve you're showing is very similar to what my bass EQs usually end up looking like whenever I use dynamic equalization on bass.

I find the sonogram display to be very helpful for this, as it'll let you see what frequencies are in there on what notes. This is important because before you can apply expansion you've got to first verify that there's something there to expand.
2015/05/15 08:40:29
gswitz
Thanks, Bit. I'm working on another bounce. I've got to get on mixing and playing soon, but one more mix before I call it quits.
2015/05/15 11:21:05
BASSJOKER
cool song...thx fur sharing.. I'm a bass n guitar player...(and novice home rec eng)...I like the response just before and during the automation....ie....you deff brought it to life versus the too flat for my liking at the beginning. if possible maybe mix/burn a few versions and let the bass/band hear the diffs....but if it's totally your call....your on the right track.... per my ears....sounds very decent . ;-)
2015/05/15 11:59:43
Beepster
Hi, Geoff. Kept seeing this thread title but wasn't sure if I could add anything useful... I probably can't but after listening perhaps there is a technique that might help you with this.

Do you own the  Craig Anderton X1 Advanced Workshop vid? If so in the Next Level vid (the second one) at minute 00:48:20 there is a section entitled "Multiband Imaging For Mastering". In it he shows how to completely isolate/remove the bass in a mix using the LP64 Multiband (but the Sonitus would likely work too). He then makes it so that range of freqs are mono by turning the output of that isolated bass signal to mono thus totally centering it and getting it out of the way of everything else (IIRC he does this on the bus but I'd have to rewatch it). Of course since it has isolated you can do whatever processing you want on it without messing with the rest of the mix.

It's a cool technique and it seems to be what you are going after. You are using the Spectral Dynamics method, right? This is kind of a manual way to do that (I think) so perhaps by doing the "isolate, mono-ize, process, blend back into the mix" method you can sharpen up/draw out the bass without muddying everything else up... which seems to be what was happening in your first set of vids (I personally like the original best as well but could see how the bass player might want more low end oomph which could be achieved with the process I just described).

Anyhoo... you know I'm just learning but your vid and this convo made me think of that tutorial/technique so if you have the vid check it out and maybe you can figure out a way to do it with your Melda stuff or in conjunction with it.

The basic premise is to totally remove the bass from the mix (as in do not just isolate and then re-add the signal overtop of the old... you yank it and ONLY reintroduce the process mono version), mono-ize, process then blend back in. Considering how slick everything else sounded and you just want some extra low end meat that seems like a good way to good. You can also get the kick centered at the same time.

Cheers... and sorry if that isn't helpful or doesn't make sense. lol
2015/05/15 12:03:23
Beepster
BTW... if you want I'll rewatch the vid and PM you a step by step. I wouldn't really want to post something like that without Craig's permission though considering that vid is still for sale. I'm sure he wouldn't mind but yanno... don't wanna be a dill.

Cheers.
2015/05/15 12:03:23
Beepster
Gah! Dupe!
2015/05/15 12:14:44
gswitz
Thanks bas joker!
2015/05/15 12:16:05
gswitz
I think I own all Craig's vids, beep, so share your thoughts in good conscience.

The bass is really centered. I do own that old X1 video btw.

If I wanted to create the illusion of the bass panned, this might make sense, but I'm not sure why center an instrument already centered.
2015/05/15 12:31:27
Beepster
He probably explains it much better and with real time vid so if you own it check it out and you'll see what I mean. However I will of course give it a re-watch and type something up for you if you can't find it or something. Let me know. I'm currently trying to bulldoze the filth in my apartment (AKA spring cleaning) but it could be a little break.

There is a followup using the Sonitus Multicomp for another technique but it kind of shows how any decent multicomp can yank stuff out for this type of work. He also does some stuff witht he VC-64 which is always cool to watch. Considering it seems like you are wroking with stereo mixes they're worth a look.

Anyway... see if you can find them. If not I'll hook you up with the Beeps analysis... lulz. Cheers.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account