• SONAR
  • Using tracks for song arrangement info and markers (p.2)
2015/05/21 18:19:08
mettelus
That video was rather eye opening for me. I like those features a lot.

Edit: This was released just yesterday and already has a demo of professional out?? LOL
2015/05/21 20:50:10
VariousArtist
I've set up key-bindings in Sonar so that my left and right arrow keys jump from marker to marker.  It's a really cool and quick way to navigate key sections of a song.  Very efficient workflow for me. 

The only downside to my workflow is if I add a lot of markers for different purposes, and that's where I'd like to realize the benefits of multiple "marker tracks".  If I could have one marker track for song sections, and another for my to-do list, and so on, then it would be great if my left-right arrow jumps could be context-sensitive to the marker track that has my focus.

These are some of the workflow enhancements I'd love to see.  The arranger idea is a special case for my suggestion though I think it would be a great benefit to moving sections of songs without having to specifically select those regions (which isn't bad to do now, but every little click saver helps).
2015/05/22 08:44:05
BobF
VariousArtist
I've set up key-bindings in Sonar so that my left and right arrow keys jump from marker to marker.  It's a really cool and quick way to navigate key sections of a song.  Very efficient workflow for me. 

The only downside to my workflow is if I add a lot of markers for different purposes, and that's where I'd like to realize the benefits of multiple "marker tracks".  If I could have one marker track for song sections, and another for my to-do list, and so on, then it would be great if my left-right arrow jumps could be context-sensitive to the marker track that has my focus.

These are some of the workflow enhancements I'd love to see.  The arranger idea is a special case for my suggestion though I think it would be a great benefit to moving sections of songs without having to specifically select those regions (which isn't bad to do now, but every little click saver helps).

Now I REALLY like the idea with the focus bit added.  I hope you capture this in an FR
2015/05/22 15:56:13
mettelus
I spent some time with Seth's recommendation from #3 (used for physically moving song sections), just to determine best conditions for such. In a sandboxing phase this can be very useful, but needs some forethought into usage:
  • Using folders in very finicky, and not recommended. I think I got this to work, but is too painful to use practically.
  • Not for use with automation.
  • Markers to not move with doing this, but also not necessary if navigating via the section track (i.e. can jump through clips on that track rather than use markers).
In situations where only MIDI or audio data exists in each section, it is pretty clean, but still requires overhead for selecting tracks, and moving/inserting. Once a project gets too involved, it begins to lose usefulness (or add frustration) quickly.

From simply a visual tracking perspective, it works like a charm though (back to the OP's point).
2015/05/23 01:52:42
mudgel
With the markers it would be great to be able to name the ranges defined by the markers.
Have those ranges appear in a browser tab and select to audition, move etc.
That's where the S1-v3 feature of then being able to move those ranges to a new composing window (scratchpad) is just genius.

If we could add those ranges to the mix recall window in a particular order you could easily rearrange a song and call up different versions of the actual song sections.
2015/05/23 09:58:36
VariousArtist
Great ideas!

Btw, I didn't realize there was a "Feature Request" forum until now. I've had a shortcut to this forum 'forever' and never saw that things had changed around me,

Perhaps this thread can be relocated there?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account