• Cakewalk Hardware
  • The ultimate guide to get your Roland/Edirol devices to work with Windows 10. [Updated]
2015/08/04 06:56:42
amitte
Recommended: Link to my updated Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2aSb4q2Kvw

Alternate Link to my Youtube video on how to do Mathod 1: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub9D08OGsmY

Message to Roland (The guide starts below):
(yes i know this is the cakewalk forum but here is the highest chance of someone reading it)

Dear Roland,

By now this is the most viewed thread on the entire cakewalk forum, that was not created by a Cakewalk staff member or a site admin. 
I feel very honored by that. Especially since this thread helped so many awesome people and musicians to use their amazing devices again. At the time of writing, this thread had about 24 thousand views, and my Youtube videos together have around 20 thousand.
UPDATE: Thread and YouTube each now (20.9.2017) have around 90-100 thousand views, which even further underlines my point.
But on the other hand those numbers are very alarming to me! Let's just assume each person visited this thread or my Youtube videos 2 or 3 times. That would still mean that at least 30 to 60 thousand individuals had a problem with their Roland product. This leaves out the ones that did not find this solution or any of the other guides on the internet. Lets also assume that some did not have the time or will to even do the research, and just went out and bought a new device. So in reality, the number might be much higher.

And I also have to make a correction regarding your official statment about Windows 10 drivers. Windows 8/8.1 drivers, in reality, do support Windows 10. You just can't install them without a tiny amount of effort. In most cases you can even install Windows Vista drivers as i proved well enough. As we found out, in most cases editing only one number was enough to make the drivers install again and in the others it was two numbers. And we should really ask the question: "Why?". Why do we as the customers have to put up with that laziness of a relatively big company? Yes, many devices got updated, but there are also a ton of older ones that did not. Again, for like 99% of those devices only one number in the driver ".inf" has to be changed. If you are not willing to spend the time to change that single number and sign the drivers again, which by the way can be automated extremly easily, why should we be willing to still buy a Roland device just to be abandoned again in a few years? I have my UA-25 almost since the day it came out and it is hands down the best and longest lasting sound card i have ever owned and it is still working like on day one. Same goes for my PCR-500.

My point is: There is a big community in need of Winsows 10 drivers and that need will not go away in the future. It is hardly any work to update the drivers and you will not even need to test the drivers since windows 7/8/10 are basically the same os when it comes to drivers (the same might be true for OSX. but i dont own one so i cant say anything about that). If you dont want to test the drivers yourself, maybe because you dont have the time or ressources to do so please still put them out as experimental/beta drivers and add a report errors/bugs button to the download site so the user could report a non working driver in the very unlikely case that it does not work.
Many friends of mine that own roland devices felt let down by you as a company and consider buying new devices. But this time it sadly might not me be Roland, which is a shame since you made such amazing devices that now simpely have a lack of drivers. I suppose this is not in your companies interest, so please! Don't sacre away your long time customers. They are worth much more than quick money you get from selling new devices. They are the ones that support your company. Even in bad times.

Amitte

The guide starts here:

If you follow my guide there is absolutely no risk of doing any damage to your hardware since it is only about software but I am not taking any responsibilities if you threw a hammer at your device anyways ;). However there is the very small possibility that your system could run unstable and crash in some situations.

Edit: I strongly recommend the first method since the drivers used are newer and might play better with your system.

Method 1 (Recommended):
For this we will need some restarting and a little bit of work. But for that, we might achieve better results.

Links: 
Link to my Youtube video on how to do Mathod 1: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub9D08OGsmY

Download archive with the bat files: This might not work anymore.
http://www.mediafire.com/...nature+Enforcement.zip

www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Step 1: 

Download and extract only the Windows 8/8.1 Driver.

In the extraced folder you have to look for an .inf file. Commonly it will be placed in "Files\64bit\Files\". Do not move this out or any other file in the folder!

Step 2: 

Now you have to open the .inf file with a texteditor like notepad and notepad++. (rightclick->"open whith"->"more"->"notepad")

Step 3: 

Hit "Control + H" on your keyboard (not midi keyboard tho :P), for find we want to enter "6.2" and for replace with just "10", now hit "replace all" and save the file afterwards.

Step 4 (shoutout to bpembo for the contribution of the commands): 

EDIT: Most of you will need to restart your PC instead of using CMD commands or the Bat files. Just ignore everything related to it in this step (italic font). Guide here, or watch my newest YouTube video, where I show the process:

www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Right now you only have to disabe driver signature verification.

Run the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" bat file as administrator or open an elevated command prompt. For that, click start, type in cmd, right click on it and select to run as administrator.

Enter this:
BCDEDIT -Set LoadOptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
BCDEDIT -Set TESTSIGNING ON

(I did not need to reboot, but some sources say it is necessary at this stage.)

Now you are going to install the Windows 8/8.1 Driver as you would normally. When Propmted with a warning just click install anyways.

To re-enable driver signing enforcement enter this into the elevated command prompt:
BCDEDIT -Set LoadOptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
BCDEDIT -Set TESTSIGNING OFF

Method 2 (Only if everything fails) (might only work with edirol devices):

Keep in mind that your device might not work 100% as desired because we will use drivers that are old and not ment to be used with your os.

Link to my youtube video on how to do Mathod 2: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDCnCyhrVE

Step 1: 

What you will need to download and extract:
  •   Windows 8/8.1 Driver
  •   Windows Vista (64Bit) Driver
I only tested this on Windows 10 64 Bit. You might be able to do the same for 32Bit if you replace the Vista 64 dirver with the Vista 32 bit.

Step 2: 

Now you are going to install the Windows 8/8.1 Driver as you would normally exept you will cancel the setup when you are asked to plug in your device. Also you do not want to run the uninstaller. We do this to make sure all the other components like contol pannels or software interfaces are also installed on your system. Right now we will have everything ready to go exept the driver. 

Step 3: 

To install the driver you will need to go to the device manager. You can do this by hitting Windows + X on the keyboard and then clicking "Device manager". 
Plug in your device. In the device manager you will have to look for a device named simmilar to your hardware. Right click on it and click "Update Driver Software". 

Now you have to follow this steps: click "Browse my conputer for driver software", click "Let me pick form a list of device drivers on my computer", click "Next" (leave "Show all devices" selected), click "Have disk", click "Browse".

Step 4: 

Now navigate to the path you extraced the Windows Vista (64Bit) driver to. now you should only see one ".inf" file. Select it and click "Open". Right now you should be confronted with a list of possible drivers but in my experience there was only one apperant. (You might have to unselect "show compatible hardware"). Now hit "Next" and wait for the driver installation to finish. 

If you followed my steps correctly, you should now have you drivers installed and working correctly.

I hope I could help you and have a nice day!
2015/08/04 17:09:22
awurtele
You sir, are a genius! This is the solution that I was desperately seeking. I have a Roland Fantom G8 and Roland would have never done a driver for Windows 10 as they have abandoned this wonderful keyboard. I didn't want to give it up or go back to Windows 8.1. Your solution works like a charm. I don't know how you figured this out but thank you so much for sharing.
2015/08/05 05:24:30
musichoo
Tried the method 1 on A500 pro keyboard did not work. It is at the last step where vista driver was not recognized. I might tried that on ua25ex later.
2015/08/05 11:05:24
amitte
musichoo
Tried the method 1 on A500 pro keyboard did not work. It is at the last step where vista driver was not recognized. I might tried that on ua25ex later.

The first method (now second since i modified the guide) only seems to work with Edirol branded devices, so for you A500 pro keyboard try out the second method (now first) (it looks longer and much more complicated than it really is).

You can try the first method (now second) on your UA-25EX but it might only support playback from one source so either your DAW or system.
2015/08/05 22:14:41
musichoo
Thanks. Might try method 2 when I have muster enough time.
2015/08/06 09:50:40
joakes
Thanks - I've printed a copy of your OP out for future reference.

FWIW I had already hacked my SD-20 and PRC-800 files as per another post ! (And the hacks worked).

Cheers,
Jerry
2015/08/06 10:37:01
bpembo
Found an alternative way to Disable the Driver Signature Enforcement.  It allowed me to install the drivers remotely.  I'll paste the instructions below and the reference to them.  Can't thank you enough for posting this.  It really made my life much easier amitte:

Open an elevated command prompt.  Click start, type in cmd, right click on it and select to run as administrator

I did not need to reboot, but some sources say it is necessary at this stage.

Install the unsigned driver.

To re-enable driver signing enforcement enter:

BCDEDIT -Set TESTSIGNING OFF.

2015/08/06 10:41:25
amitte
bpembo
Found an alternative way to Disable the Driver Signature Enforcement.  It allowed me to install the drivers remotely.  I'll paste the instructions below and the reference to them.  Can't thank you enough for posting this.  It really made my life much easier amitte:

Open an elevated command prompt.  Click start, type in cmd, right click on it and select to run as administrator

I did not need to reboot, but some sources say it is necessary at this stage.

Install the unsigned driver.

To re-enable driver signing enforcement enter:

BCDEDIT -Set TESTSIGNING OFF.

Oh wow this is awesome! I knew how this was possible but did not think it was that easy. Really thank you i will edit my post and maybe upload bat files to disable and enable.

Thank you and you're welcome ;)
2015/08/11 02:42:37
asdfasd123
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info! With both methods 1 and 2, my computer sees my Edirol UA-25 and says that it's working fine, but I still can't get audio to come out of the speakers. Turning up the volume control on the Edirol increases the natural hiss in the speakers (as you'd expect) but none of the computer's audio seems to be making it to the UA-25. The UA-25 lights up etc as normal, so is receiving power via USB fine.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks again.
2015/08/11 02:54:38
ChristopherM
Excellent! Method 1 has restored my (ancient) UM-2 Midi Interface and my (still current!) GR-55 guitar synth.
One side effect is that I now have a watermark saying "Test Mode ..." in the bottom right corner of my desktop. I'm guessing that this is to do with defeating the driver signing. Do I have to live with it, or can it be made to go away without causing the hacked drivers to be rejected?

Edit: Using BCDEDIT -Set TESTSIGNING OFF seems to have made it go away again. Perhaps I mistyped it the first time.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account