• Cakewalk Hardware
  • The ultimate guide to get your Roland/Edirol devices to work with Windows 10. [Updated] (p.7)
2016/06/29 18:26:25
richlion821
Thanks guys. I just update to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro, on the last free day, today. When booted Sonar, it said my midi was missing. I have a Edirol UM-550, which was the fastest midi interface using 5 parallel output ports instead of the normal series method for more precise timing. I forgot they moved to Roland like my old Delta 1010LT cards, they are terrible with providing drivers and I will NEVER buy anything from them again. I thought it was a typo when I found they had no Win 10 drivers, and boldly said they are not making one. So I took the Win 8/8.1 driver and remained stuck after I turned the unit on after I uninstalled the Win 7 driver. I tried to follow the instructions here, but found they were missing a few steps maybe, so I hope I can make it clear to how I got it to work with Win 10. First I uninstalled the Win 8 driver I put in, use the uninstall to get rid of the Win 7 driver. The Win 8 Driver comes in Zip form. Unzip it to another folder you name like; "Ediunzip", etc. After it is unzipped. you will see a .exe file, and one folder named; "files" and "Readme". Take that folder "files", then the 64 bit folder, and use the Windows Wordpad, and open it with the all file extension pulldown (*.*). You will see a bunch of files and one with a .INI extention (RDIF1020.INF). Now take the Windows Wordpad and open that file. You will see a few places where it has; "Windows 7" in the text, I changed them to Windows 10. I also changed wherever I saw that 6.2 to a 10. Saved and closed. Next step, restart the computer using the start button while holding the space key down. Click troubleshoot, to get to the option to boot without signature screen (#7), on next screen after the options are shown. Turn off the UM-550 before the computer will re-boots in the without looking for signatures mode, if you turn off the UM-550 you wont have to remove the USB cable. After the computer boots, do not use the setup.exe file outside the files folder, but use the one in the 64 bit folder (I have 64 bits, I can't say if the 32 bit folder would work for 32 bits, but use that for 32 bits and change the INI folder in there not in the 64 bit folder. When the setup.exe 64 file is executed you will be prompted to continue to load this driver. Click to use it, and after it is loaded you will be asked to connect the USB cable which I never removed, and turn on the UM-550 via the power button. After a few seconds your driver should be working.  
Thanks, saved me from buying another midi interface to my keyboards and midi sound hardware. A Motu 5 x 5 midi interface is $139, and the only thing wrong with the UM-550, is that no one updated the driver. The last thing I was thinking about was buying a midi interface. Keep that modified Win 8 to Win 10 driver file, in a safe place.   

164 bit folder.      
2016/07/03 05:01:28
Paul Thomas
I tried getting the win 8.1 driver installed in win 10 for my PCR 500 but it didn't work for me.

I also have an Edirol UA-25EX which does work with win 10. So I've connected my PCR 500 with midi cable to the UA-25EX and that gets round the problem for me. Not ideal but at least the keyboard now works in Sonar Professional.
2016/08/02 09:44:31
peterphelan
Hi Folks,
Just wanted to say a big thanks for the tips here. I got my old Edirol UA-25 working again after upgrading to Windows 10 and in case it helps, I did the following:

1) made the amendments to the .INF file as per that shown by OGG
2) Disabled the signing using the Win 10 interface as follows - rather than via the direct code insert, which did not seem to work for me:
  1. Select the Start
  2. Open  Settings
  3. Click on the Update & Security
  4. Click on Recovery
  5. Click on the Restart Now button under Advanced startup
  6. Select Troubleshoot
  7. Select Advanced Options
  8. Select Startup Options
  9. Select Restart
  10. A menu will appear where you can press 7 on your keyboard to choose Disable driver signing enforcement
Now Device Driver Signing should be disabled. You need to restart your Windows 10 computer before you can try installing that the driver again.
3) Went into Device Manager and found the UA-25 under "Other Devices" with its little exclamation mark.
4) Updated the driver and clicked "install anyway" at the big red Windows warning window.

The driver installed ok and the UA-25 now appears correctly in Device Manager under "sound, video and game controllers" Made a quick voiceover recording with my Rode NTG1 via ch1 + 48v power; and it all worked as before. So like others, I want to say again a very big thanks; I got there in the end!
Hope this helps.
Peter
2016/08/02 19:13:47
mitchellm44
I updated to Windows 10 on my music computer- on the last day you possibly could - and installed the new Sonar Platinum - when it was missing my external device MIDI connections - I realized the UM-880 driver was not there,
and after a while of searching - came across this post.

It worked for me.
Unplug your UM-880 from the computer - and turn off the unit
Download the windows 8 Driver. and Extract all the files to folders
Uninstall first (there was something there but it was not recognized)
which sends computer to reboot.
Go to the extracted files and locate the "SETUP Information" file (which is an .INF - hidden extensions don't show).

Using NOTEPAD - change the 6.2 string to a 10 string
save.
(I Did run the BCDEDIT commands - create a shortcut on desktop   cmd.exe - save shortcut and right click it - run as administrator).
I had to reboot (I think I uninstalled but did not disconnect - so I think  it reinstalled some version of driver)
It does popup a different warning - I accepted it to run.
I then plugged the USB cable into the computer - and powered up the UM-880.
Driver installed
And the Driver was recognized in Sonar Platinum - and all my old instrument mapping to channels was restored.

I did research a bit on what was changing in Windows 10 - and there is a whole new Midi API stack
https://www.namm.org/nammu/special-a3e-keynote-future-audio-harnessing-power

that I do not see devices delivering on yet - at least I did not find any.
Midi over network and Bluetooth.

I did see some Bluetooth for iPad and iPhone - but not for windows.
This hopefully will allow me to play my synths for a while until the manufacturers come out with drives that use the new Windows 10 stuff.

Thank you for posting an answer - that seemed very foreign - but absolutely worked.

2016/08/03 09:52:31
CSMR
The Windows 10 anniversary update uninstalled the driver. Edit: just needed reinstallation, no changes to .inf files needed.
2016/08/09 03:32:05
soundtweaker
CSMR
The Windows 10 anniversary update uninstalled the driver. Edit: just needed reinstallation, no changes to .inf files needed.

Same here. Which driver are you talking about?  The PCR drivers for 8.1?
2016/09/29 08:23:20
TonyL99
Hi People,

I just opened an account here to say 'Thank you so much' to you all.

This morning Windows 10 started it's upgrade to the 'Anniversary Edition' with no warning. Took some 40 minutes for the upgrade itself, then the fun started. Most of my original Win 10 tweaks had been erased, including the driver tweak for Edirol UA-25, my old faithful that has performed perfectly for years.

Pleased to say, method 2 setup from Windows driver install worked well again using the drivers for 8.1 I did modify the inf file but that may not have been needed as driver signing was disabled as per the method 2 list.

A few more hours and I may have this PC set up as I want. Fixed the Office Upgrade nag, fixed the Edge nuisance, shut up stupid Cortana (oops, it just came back), printer work next. Oxygen II keyboard is not working yet. It shouldn't be like this...

I'm glad so many folk take the time/trouble to help us regain at least a small amount of control over the computers we own.

Thanks again.
2016/12/05 16:56:29
sadicus
Did not get Roland GI20_Win7Drv_64 installed.
WARNING: The operating system - not supported Setup will be terminated.
any other way around this?
2017/01/01 12:22:54
Luju
Thank you. This worked for my modest A-500S controller. I did as you said:

- Advanced Restart and disable the driver signature enforcement only on the next session.
- Downloaded last official driver for Windows 8.
- Replaced text in the .INF file ("6.1" to "10").
- Installed driver as normal.
- Working A-500S in Windows 10.

I'm very disappointed with Cakewalk/Roland.
2017/01/19 19:05:43
Siggimund
Thank you very much
It worked with my Edirol PCR 300 midi keyboard controller on Windows 10  anniversary.
Can anyone tell me if the "Disable driver signature enforcement" are now permanently disabled or is this only for this driver install (what I would prefer for security reasons)?
ta
Siggimund
Edit: Think I found an answer to my question here: "maxedtech.com/about-testmode/" and here: "howtogeek.com/167723/" which seems to confirm that the method used by OP does not permanently disable driver signature enforcement.
Sorry, the forum software removes my links so you have to add "http://www." in front to follow them. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account