• Cakewalk Hardware
  • The ultimate guide to get your Roland/Edirol devices to work with Windows 10. [Updated] (p.8)
2017/01/20 20:13:48
Afrodrum
Siggimund
Thank you very much
It worked with my Edirol PCR 300 midi keyboard controller on Windows 10  anniversary.
Can anyone tell me if the "Disable driver signature enforcement" are now permanently disabled or is this only for this driver install (what I would prefer for security reasons)?

I guess it is permanently. Perhaps the driver would stop working at the next restart if it was not permanently.
2017/01/21 07:15:50
Siggimund
Afrodrum
Siggimund
Thank you very much
It worked with my Edirol PCR 300 midi keyboard controller on Windows 10  anniversary.
Can anyone tell me if the "Disable driver signature enforcement" are now permanently disabled or is this only for this driver install (what I would prefer for security reasons)?

I guess it is permanently. Perhaps the driver would stop working at the next restart if it was not permanently.

Well, as mentioned in my edit I found some sources (don't know how reliable though) that say otherwise. ( Well, the internet says so, so it must be true )
Especially "maxedtech.com/about-testmode/" compares 2 methods, "Test Mode" and "Disable driver signature enforcement (This/OP's method)", and gives OP's method a + for, quote: "+ does not permanently allow the installation of unsigned drivers".
But yes,
Afrodrum"... driver would stop working at the next restart if it was not permanently"

also sounds logical to me. 
Regards
Siggimund
2017/01/21 15:45:41
azslow3
The following information is MY PERSONAL imagination. It is based on a little bit more then a "rumor from the internet", but since I have not went throw the whole procedure to prove that (yet), some statements can be wrong.

The problem of the driver is NOT that it does not mention windows 10. The problem that it DOES mention never existing version of windows. That is why many old drivers install without any pip, which Roland drivers require "the hack". Explicitly, the problem is:

[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8
%RDID0106DeviceDesc%=RDID0106Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0117 ; VS-20

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; not supported

64.6.2 is Windows 8; 64.6.3 is Windows 8.1; 64.10.0 is windows 10; 64.7 ... does not exist!

What this statement means for Windows? That the driver is ALLOWED to be installed on ANY version between 6.2 and 7. Effectively on Windows 8 line only (so Windows 8.1 is allowed, Windows 8.5 is also allowed... but MS has moved to Windows 10 instead).

Without 64.7 section the driver could have an "open date" and be installed without problem. But in current situation, Roland has per-programmed the drivers and so devices will be obsolete during the time they was making them. They put a "time bomb" there.

Was that the Evil plan? I do not think so. They was releasing separate drivers for separate Windows version. I guess that was to avoid users by mistake install let say Windows Vista drivers on Windows 8. And as long as new drivers are released that is good. But I think they had to release the driver with open date when they have made the decision no longer continue the development, removing the time bomb.

------------------------------------

Now to the latest discussion. The signature is checked during the installation and during loading. But the signature is PER FILE. There is a separate file with signatures for all other files. By described procedure, we modify only INF file, which describe how to install the driver. So its signature is not longer valid. The driver itself (binary files) still have correct signatures. So we have to disable signature checking during installation only, when the file with broken signature is used (the last sentence I have not checked, so like 95% sure...)

--------------------

I have installed the driver disabling signature checking during reboot. I had to do this again after anniversary update. I am sure the signing was/is on after the installation and I am sure my VS-20 is working.

I have not found any method to disable kernel level drivers signature checking without going into the "test" mode, which is clearly visible when on. So if you do not see you are in the test mode, drivers are checked on loading.

2017/01/22 05:51:06
Siggimund
azslow3
Now to the latest discussion. The signature is checked during the installation and during loading. But the signature is PER FILE. There is a separate file with signatures for all other files. By described procedure, we modify only INF file, which describe how to install the driver. So its signature is not longer valid. The driver itself (binary files) still have correct signatures. So we have to disable signature checking during installation only, when the file with broken signature is used (the last sentence I have not checked, so like 95% sure...)

--------------------

I have installed the driver disabling signature checking during reboot. I had to do this again after anniversary update. I am sure the signing was/is on after the installation and I am sure my VS-20 is working.

I have not found any method to disable kernel level drivers signature checking without going into the "test" mode, which is clearly visible when on. So if you do not see you are in the test mode, drivers are checked on loading.

Thanks azslow3,
+100 for that explanation. That makes it a lot clearer to me of what is going on.  ( The pressure from my tin foil hat is easing up now <:-D )
2017/02/21 10:00:27
NeCaster
Better late than never... HUGE thanks to a topic starter who brought my tried and true SonicCell back to life (Win 10, all updates, blah blah..)
Method 1 (replacing 6.2 with 10) did all the magic. Previously working .inf file did NOT work with updated Win10.
Shame on you, Roland!

2017/02/24 16:34:21
soens
What about deleting all references to Windows versions or using Compatibility Mode? I'm using Windows 7 drivers for my interface under compatibility mode with Windows 10. They work fairly well but I do have to reinstall them periodically.

Some of the .inf file lines:

; This file supports:
;     Windows XP
;     Windows XP x64 Edition
;     Windows Vista
;     Windows Vista x64
;     Windows 7
;     Windows 7 x64

; x64-based systems
[_Devices.ntamd64]

[_Install1.ntamd64]
CopyFiles=_CopyFiles_sys_x64
[_Install1.ntamd64.Services]
AddService = %S_DriverName%, 0x00000002, _AddService_x64, _EventLog_x64
[_Install1.ntamd64.HW]
AddReg=_AddReg_ChildDev, _AddReg_DevSpecCfg1
2017/02/25 03:59:05
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
soens
What about deleting all references to Windows versions or using Compatibility Mode? I'm using Windows 7 drivers for my interface under compatibility mode with Windows 10. They work fairly well but I do have to reinstall them periodically.

I did the moded driver install as outlined in this forum and only had to reinstall once (after the anniversary update). maybe that reinstalling you need to do periodically derives from issues with the compatibility mode???
2017/02/25 08:20:18
soens
My drivers aren't for a Roland but "some elcheepo brand" that does not reference any specific version of Windows except in the list of supported versions at the beginning. And since they do install ok in Windows 10 (I used compatibility mode for insurance), I was just wondering if the Roland drivers could be modded by simply deleting those references (example in red).

Roland Original:
;----------------
[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.7

Roland Edited:
;----------------
[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64

My Brand:
;************
; Manufacturer
;----------------
[Manufacturer]
%S_Provider%=_Devices, ntamd64

And then delete the entire entry where it says:

[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; not supported
2017/03/09 14:53:30
greg_moreira
Just a quick for what its worth.

up until recently I was working on an M audio interface with an old version of sonar and old copy of windows(either XP or 7....  cant remember at the moment).

Anyhow all was well til the PC died.

I chose to update everything.  I got a new windows PC with windows 10, bought sonar platinum, and bought the roland studio capture(for my interface).

I was not aware that there were any windows 10 issues at all(as a matter of fact roland was advertising the studio capture as something that integrates very well with sonar and works on windows 10 just fine).

in this case...  ignorance is bliss.  Had I seen this thread I may have had reservations about the roland unit and went a different way.

But I didnt so I bought the roland and zero issues to date with this rig as a whole.

although there may be some bugs out there with older roland gear...  it seems like at least the current gear coming out does indeed play well with windows 10.

Just thought Id throw that out there for anyone contemplating anything new from roland.

As a side note....  this thread just might be the reason that the new gear seemingly integrates just fine :) 
2017/03/14 04:21:44
solarfly
I've followed these instructions previously and got it working several times. It stops working many times, especially lately.  I had it working for an entire day 2 days ago and the next morning the Fantom G would no longer be recognized as a MIDI device, no matter how hard I tried.

I have boxed up my Roland G7 and listed it on Ebay, but I will also frame that decision with the fact that it is emotionally not a happy moment for me. I was so proud of this workstation and used it for all my studio recording for years. I am really sad to part with it. 

I wrote this letter on Roland's Facebook and I copied it on mine and here as well so they don't just bury it:

My open letter to Roland USA:
The Fantom G7 was one of the most fantastic synths Roland built. That Roland couldn't spend 1 day of Engineering time for 1 developer to adjust the Windows 8 drivers and sign them for Windows 10, and 1 day of QA to certify it -- choosing instead to end-of-life the Fantom G7 or force users to run Windows 7 has caused tens of thousands of MIDI/USB users grief. I have followed all of the instructions on the workarounds on Cakewalk's forums here:  but Roland ignores the "open letter" which shows more than 20,000 people have hit that thread looking for a way to keep using their $3000 device.
It worked for a day, then Windows 10 no longer saw it as a MIDI device. So, after weeks of struggles, I photographed it, boxed it up in the original box and put it on Ebay. To add insult to injury, an old MOTU Axiom 61 Mk1 WORKS FLAWLESSLY and that is older than my Fantom G7.
I'm a software engineer. Changing the Windows 8 INI file didn't take much effort. Only Roland can resign the drivers with their private key. Then they need to make sure it's stable in QA and works after each reboot.
I owned a Juno/HS10 when I was a teenager in the 80's and I've always loved Roland products. But I'm no longer a loyal customer, I will never buy another Roland product again after this. I feel this is a loss of money and a workstation synth I was very proud to own.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account