• Computers
  • Useful article on Windows 10 update.
2015/08/10 11:06:38
Maarkr
passing on a few tricks i found after loading Win 10.  
Couldn't dl the driver from the NVidia website, but when I rt clicked on the video card in Device Mgr and selected update driver, that took care of it.

Nice free site here...  https://ninite.com/
This offers many common progs that may need updating in Windows 10.  You select the apps that you have and it checks them for updates and runs the update in one process for all apps.  FileHippo app mgr is another one but smaller and needs to be installed.

If you lost your startup apps after upgrading, go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp to add links to those apps.  Some may not work as a startup app... ie my WD Smartware backup software will need a rev.

so far only thing that did not work right in Sonar was XLN Audio needing an update.  I haven't tried many features yet tho.

...more to come as I fix up 10.
2015/08/10 11:48:23
Mesh
Hi Maarkr,
Any issues running Ninite (Win 8.1 or Win 10)?

That looks like a nifty/useful little program.
2015/08/10 12:22:22
Maarkr
slickest thing... don't install the app, just check the progs on the site and click to check them... it dl's the exe files in one batch and runs them all.  I updated abt 10 progs for Win 10 in a few mins.
2015/08/10 12:38:32
Mesh
Maarkr
slickest thing... don't install the app, just check the progs on the site and click to check them... it dl's the exe files in one batch and runs them all.  I updated abt 10 progs for Win 10 in a few mins.

Excellent!!
Thanks, will check it out tonight.
I'm also getting ready to update to Win 10, so this will really come in handy.
2015/08/11 18:09:43
Doktor Avalanche
I found better up to date drivers downloaded directly from the nvidia website.
2015/08/13 12:07:40
jbow
This is the reason I came to the Computers forum. I know that MS is just watching out for me and has my best interests in mind (huh?) but I want to make Windows updates MANUAL because there are things I do not want to update or download. AS for it interrupting my workflow, I remembered that I turn off WIFI when I use Sonar so that won't be a problem, at least I think not.
However, I want to be in control. I download and install most optional updates and pretty much all important updates. I don't update Skype and "optional" on my DAW (Studiocat) has been trying to get me to update Silverlight. I did a search on the PC and found no Silverlight so I assume Jim didn't install it, so I don't want to update it or install it. Now if I update my DAW to W-10, I won't have any say in the matter. I've updated my laptop and it is faster from a cold start, the up/down and pg up/down buttons didn't work until an update yesterday. I had to find IE, it's there but a bit hidden. Edge imported my Favorites in alphabetical order, I had them in a non-logical order, but an order that I like and is easy for me to use. Now I am going to have to spend time re-ordering my favorites unless I can figure out a way to import them.

So, back to figuring out how to make Windows Update manual without making some sort of mess. I'm a computer user, not a builder, not a gamer, don't know a thing about code. I can replace a battery, a hard drive and I've replaced a top and screen on a laptop... I've used regedit in conjunction with hijackthis back when I was on XP, to clean up malware problems but Windows 10 is a new beast and it makes me nervous to mess with it.
Frankly, sometimes I wish Cakewalk would make a Mac version of Sonar. I don't trust Google but I use it because it works, I won't use Chrome because I just don't trust Google enough. I don't care for Apple that much but I use an iPhone with only the location services that I really need enabled, I use it because it just works. I think the problems with W-10 are because of PCs being configured in SO many different ways, there cannot help but be problems. I'm sure there are people still trying to use 386x computers or trying to upgrade from Windows ME (buy wasn't ME a bit of fun). If Cake were to make Platinum for Mac, I'd go there... I think. Then I'd worry because with a Mac everything is proprietary and if it breaks, it is usually just broken and you become broke. Ehhhh maybe if I can just get update to let me choose what, if, and when (and get my favorites back in the order I want them in) I'll be happy.
It's like MS thinks they are the government or something. Even if it is better, I still want the ability to choose, I feel sort of violated or something. I don't like it.
I found this link before I came here:
http://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-10-automatic-updates-install-problem/

Jb

2015/08/13 12:19:41
Doktor Avalanche
Silverlight does nothing until you open a browser. It does not even execute until you visit a site with silverlight on it

It's probably best to keep skype updated if you value your security (or don't install it).

Windows update is generally a good thing, we now have quite a few articles to customize it to your requirements.

Security on iOS is in fact by far worse than Windows. This idea that Apple is better at it is just a myth. I just think most virus writtters are more familiar with Windows sadly, it's also far easier to develop under this platform.

If you want a security, control and non proprietary use Linux.

I'll read your link looks interesting... Thanks..
2015/08/13 16:00:37
ampfixer
I followed the link Alex posted at the top of the thread. The instructions worked well and now I have some control over the update process.

When it comes to data mining I don't think it matters what flavour of PC and OS you're using. If you go online there's a million eyes on you. If you choose to adopt and actively participate in social media, there's a billion eyes on you.

Nothing is free. 
2015/08/19 16:02:37
ampfixer
Bumping this because there are still many questions about updates. The article Alex links is very good and should be viewed by all users with a pro version or higher. Unfortunately the Home version has no such options.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account