• Software
  • [solved] Ilok License Manager problems
2015/08/31 22:34:35
mikedocy
I installed a new graphics card and now "Ilok License Manager" (ILM) is giving me this pop-up error message:

"Software Component Unavailable
A background component required for iLok License Manager seems to be unavailable. If rebooting does not fix this issue, please visit iLok.com and download and run the latest License Support installer."

I rebooted and got the same result.
I reinstalled and was able to move my licenses to the cloud.
I uninstalled ILM, rebooted, reinstalled ILM then reactivated my licenses. Everything worked and seemed to be OK.
Now, one day later, I turn on the computer and start up Sonar, load a project, and all the previously activated vst are popping up with messages saying that they are not activated. I am back at square one.

I'm not sure what to do now. Any suggestions? I will contact Ilok, but maybe someone has been through this and can tell me how to fix it myself.

Thanks.

PS. I am beginning to dislike "Ilok License Manager"

2015/08/31 22:41:53
cclarry
Make sure you are running the current version of iLok Manager....
2015/08/31 23:22:45
mikedocy
cclarry
Make sure you are running the current version of iLok Manager....

Thanks, yes I am. That's one of the first things I tried.
I may be onto something here. I followed their online help and it told me to set pace services to "delayed startup" and, so far, it seems to be working. If the problem is indeed solved I will post more details tomorrow for the benefit of anyone else reading this post and having the same problem.
2015/09/01 01:33:14
Sycraft
mikedocy
Thanks, yes I am. That's one of the first things I tried.
I may be onto something here. I followed their online help and it told me to set pace services to "delayed startup" and, so far, it seems to be working. If the problem is indeed solved I will post more details tomorrow for the benefit of anyone else reading this post and having the same problem.

If that does fix it then it means that there is another service that the iLok is depending on that wasn't starting fast enough for its tastes. If it does fix it see if you can get a list of services it depends on.
2015/09/01 19:05:57
mikedocy
Yes, Sycraft. There seems to be another service (that is slow to get started) that ILM waits for.
If ILM doesn't get the needed service in time it doesn't run and you get VST authorization errors.

To check for this problem go to Administrative Tools/Services/ and see if "Pace License Services" status is  "running".
If not running then that is the problem.
The quick fix is to double click or right click and select Properties then change "Startup Type" from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Startup)". This causes the Pace service to wait a while before running.

I have no idea what service(s) Pace was waiting for. I could not find any dependencies for Pace.
My guess it that either the graphics card was calling home checking for updates or Microsoft was checking/updating and it caused Pace to time out and not run.

See here for more detailed troubleshooting information: https://www.ilok.com/#!resource/windows_troubleshooting

2015/09/01 20:26:44
Sycraft
So nice of them to not tell us what the hell it needs :P.
2015/09/01 20:43:13
backwoods
Good to know just in case :) Thanks for detailing this mikedocy.
2016/07/26 20:59:19
H3O2
Starting the service fixed the problem.  It was set to automatic but sometimes it NEVER starts.  Now I hate iLok a tiny bit less... maybe.

Thanks for the help and the details.

Steve S.
2016/07/26 23:51:44
arachnaut
On my Win10 laptop the PACE service starts on Automatic, but on my desktop it rarely starts up.
I switch to and from delay start, but I don't think it matters much, I just get into the habit of starting it myself.
2016/07/27 14:49:23
kitekrazy1
There's a cloud for iLok?   The problem is rarely the dongle unless you aren't using one.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account