• Computers
  • Windows 10 Upgraded - Edirol UM880 Not Working
2015/09/07 19:25:53
ibartley
Hi All,
I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 this weekend.   I'm running the latest Sonar Platinum with a MOTU Ultralite Hybrid interface.  Everything so far seems to be working fine except the Roland UM-880 midi interface.   I checked the Roland support site and don't see any updated drivers there yet.   Wanted to see if anyone has any information.   Any word if updated drivers are coming soon?  Is there a work around to get the Win 7 or Win 8 drivers to work in the meantime?

Ira

2015/09/08 14:30:14
kitekrazy1
ibartley
Hi All,
I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 this weekend.   I'm running the latest Sonar Platinum with a MOTU Ultralite Hybrid interface.  Everything so far seems to be working fine except the Roland UM-880 midi interface.   I checked the Roland support site and don't see any updated drivers there yet.   Wanted to see if anyone has any information.   Any word if updated drivers are coming soon?  Is there a work around to get the Win 7 or Win 8 drivers to work in the meantime?

Ira

Did you try installing them? I would think W8 drivers would have a good shot of working.  BTW are you using your MOTU with firewire or USB? That ? has nothing to do with your controller.
2015/09/08 17:26:39
RickJP909
Hi ibartley.

I'd be very interested in this outcome because I use both, a UM-550 & a UM-880.

Try what kitekrazy1 has suggested, installing the Windows 7 drivers again or even better, the Windows 8/8.1 drivers as I checked on the Microsoft site & it states that USB drivers for hardware written for Win8.1 should work under Windows 10 because there's no change to that sub-system.

Also, I've been annoying Roland by Tweeting them about updating drivers so how about you also contacting their support.  The more people annoy them, the more likely they'll update the drivers.

It would be a grave shame if they don't update them because potentially, Win10 is going to be the last major version of Windows because future updates will be rolling ones so any driver written for Win10 should work for years to come.

Incidentally, what version of Windows are you using, 32 or 64-bit?

Good luck & keep us posted dude!
2015/09/08 21:12:22
ibartley
Hi RickJP909,
I tried installing the Win 8/8.1 drivers as suggested but no luck.  I attempted every combination I could think of including running Setup.exe in Windows 8 compatibility mode but no go.  It looks like the driver itself would install, but when connecting the UM880 to complete the installation, it could not be recognized.  It would just show up as an unrecognized device.   

Looks like I have an expensive doorstop unless Roland provides a Windows 10 driver.   I'll try spamming Roland support to see if maybe we can get some attention on getting new drivers.  

To answer your question, I'm running Windows in 64-bit mode.   And to answer kitekrazy1's question, the MOTU is connected through firewire.   

IF anybody finds out any information on getting this thing to work please post.  

2015/09/09 09:32:14
ChristopherM
I don't have UM-880, so I may be wholly off track here, but many (including me) have found it possible to hack Roland 8.1 driver installers very straightforwardly to get them to work in 10. Search this forum "roland hack" for more.

2015/09/09 09:46:52
fireberd
In the Roland's, the .inf file is where the hack is as Roland wrote the .inf file for specific OS.  Changing the 8.1 drivers, for example, to read Win 10 instead of 8.1 is all that's required.  Then when you connect the device, point Windows to the hacked .inf file and it is installed. 

The Edirol MAY be the same way.

In some cases, such as my Frontier Tranzport, installing in a compatibility mode (in this case Vista) installed the drivers and the device works perfectly in Win 10.
2015/09/09 10:00:16
ChristopherM
fireberd
Changing the 8.1 drivers, for example, to read Win 10 instead of 8.1 is all that's required. 

It's not quite that simple, partly because MS's "mfg name" designation for is not 8.1 but 6.2 !
If you search for posts by me, you'll be able to find the exact recipe, courtesy of our friends at Vguitar Forums.
2015/09/09 12:07:52
pwalpwal
i got my ancient UA-1000 working in win10 by using the vista(!) x64 drivers:

have the driver package downloaded and extracted somewhere,
plug in the device & power it on,
wait for windows to do its thing,
then in device manager it had the warning icon,
right-click it, choose "update driver software",
then choose "browse my computer for driver software",
browse to the extraction point,choose the driver
ta-da

maybe you can have similar luck? i'd never have considered the vista driver unless i;d read it on a (french) forum
hth
good luck!
2015/09/10 07:17:26
Xhedron
This list unfortunately confirms that the UM-550 and UM-880 won't be getting Windows 10 drivers: .

There's also the option of using the generic MIDI driver for the device - see page 49 of the user manual. Not having used either of the UMs I don't know what the difference in functionality is between the drivers...
2015/09/10 19:25:19
RickJP909
That's a real shame that the 8.1 drivers didn't work. How about the Win7 drivers, have you tried them? As suggested by others, I've heard of people hacking Roland drivers so that they work on newer OS's but one thing is getting them to install (which you appeared to have done) & the other is getting them to work!

Is there anyway you can try the interface on a different PC with Win10, just in case there's some weird compatibility issue going on with your USB ports & the Edirol?  I once had a similar issue with an M-Audio interface on WinXP! In order to get it working, I had to buy a PCI USB card & then I was able to get my PC to recognise the M-Audio MIDIsport interface.

Worth a try otherwise we should head to one of the Roland forums & build some momentum to other users to annoy Roland & see if we can put some pressure on. Failing that, does anyone know a developer who'd take this little project on, even if it's for a fee?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account