2015/11/11 06:18:29
2:43AM
I've been meaning to ask this very question to the forums for quite some time now...like years.  I've owned the original Rapture prior to X2 (actually bought it but given a store credit after it came free with X2).  Overall, I just can't seem to get myself into the thing!  It's hard to understand.  It seems like the controls don't do anything/enough.  And it's hard to reverse engineer patches to understand "what's going on under the hood."  To me, it just seems like a preset machine as opposed to a "builder's synth."  Am I correct in this assumption?

Also, there is (and has been) very little information on the Internet on Rapture.  Barely any videos exist that demonstrate, let alone talk about, its powers and/or weaknesses.  To me, Rapture seems like a failed piece of software.

Maybe I'm way off base, but the above is my opinion based on my experience and perceived experience from other forms of information.  I'd like to hear, for the sake of discussion, other people's opinions as well.
2015/11/11 07:00:30
Woodyoflop
Iv used Rapture in some projects, theres quite a few generic sounds but if you dig into it you can really find some good sounds especially when you tweak them. The new Rapture pro is amazing is by far one of my favorite VSTs alongside Z3ta-2 and all of Outputs instruments. Rapture pro essentially just combined dimension pro and rapture and the new rapture pro all into one program now. One program and you can select between all the instruments as well as the expansions for each. (i apologize if you already knew all this)

As far as the original rapture though, iv enjoyed it from time to time. Taking the time to search and tweak is to your benefit and your arsenal.
2015/11/11 10:00:52
AT
Probably the biggest impediment to using Rapture is the many pages - they are logical but most users are more comfortable with faceplate synths.  The same as the difference between early modular analog synths and the minimoog.  The biggest mistake is to try to change the sound w/ more than one element (voice) on - which means jumping from page to page to turn off other elements, change the effects and global effects & sequencer, etc. etc.  Once you strip a patch down to a single element (and know where that element fits in the overall patch) it is very easy and simple to work on the sound - everything from changing the sample to filters and amps and envelopes.

I think some people get tired of working to get an element right and then have to switch to 2-3 other pages to fine tune that element within the overall patch.  If I haven't used Rapture (or pro or Dimensionpro) lately it is easy to forget how to move with purpose within the synth until working with it a while again.  But that is a quick process, like learning to fall off a bike again.

It is a very flexible, logical and deep synth that ain't all that hard to grok and one of my favorite sample-based synths.  It has a bright, non-VA synth sound that works well cutting through clutter and against thicker VA-type synths (or even the real thing).

@

@
2015/11/11 22:34:48
robert_e_bone
I have used it off an on for quite a while, and I REALLY like the new Rapture Pro - I could create similar layers separately, but I like the combo sounds it comes with, and find them inspiring creative thinking of using them, which is the whole point, I think.

Bob Bone

2015/11/12 02:45:55
Richard Cranium
I use, and have used the Original Rapture for many years, Love it, still use it even though I have many newer and arguably better synths and stuff, it is a old fav. (Also use and have used Dim Pro and Z3TA 2 for many years, love them also)

Rapture Pro however, stinks to high heaven, it is a buggy piece of crap, always has been from the start, don't let the fanboi's tell you any different, just check the threads on these very forums, not to mention other 3rd party forums for the real truth, it still has major issues, unless of course you don't consider silent patches (factory content) and huge volume differences between patches that actually do work a problem. No it's not like every second patch or anything, but it is enough for those of us who actually do come across these issues, not to mention the pathetic condition it was released in. Yes it is usable . . . . Now, I just don't use it out of principal, and will never purchase another Cakewalk Synth, the amount of better top quality synths out there which work correctly as they should from day one, why would you even bother with a company with Cakewalks record in the Synth area, where they are well known for releasing synths then basically abandoning them while still having major, glaring bugs (Z3TA 2 for example) even though they continue to actively sell them, again for proof, look no further than threads on this very forum, let alone other 3rd party forums which can be far more aggressive, and might I say honest.  
2015/11/12 10:04:16
RogerH
I use Rapture Pro a lot, and one of the main reason is that I think it's fun and easy to use.
I also have U-he DIVA and it's got an amazing set of presets, but I think it's hard to understand all the controls and possibilities.
I actually plan to use DIVA samples for designing sounds in Rapture Pro.
But there are still things in Rapture Pro that need improvements, and I'm waiting for the update that I hope will come soon
2015/11/12 16:17:38
BobF
I use them.  I REALLY like the Ethereal Organ patch ... lotsa good stuff, IMO.

Tweaking is on my list
2015/11/12 18:53:36
arlen2133
Have had both Rapture and Dimension Pro since Sonar 5.  Have used and loved both.  Haven't bought Rapture Pro cause I couldn't understand why I'd need them to be under one hood (since I already have both of them)? But that's just me! 
Anyways, like I said - they are usable and I have a bunch of expanded modules for them.  Lots of sounds to use yet.

Since I typically reach for the preset first, both are easy enough and get me in the ballpark the majority of the time.
I try to not use them so much nowadays (since I have other synths that supposedly do the same job) but I DO find that when I pull them out, browse through,  I still find patches that work MOST of the time. 
2015/11/12 19:24:36
Doktor Avalanche
Rapture Pro is almost a good synth. I am not sure which decade the bakers are planning on releasing a long overdue service pack however.
2015/11/13 18:30:46
arlen2133
I agree Doc.  Could've used an update BEFORE they decided to go "Pro" on us. 
Might've kept a lot of the haters happy (or at least happier then they are now). 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account