2016/03/10 14:22:41
ampfixer
Bristol_Jonesey
ampfixer
IS this a "flack" trap? If something comes up on early access and the feedback is similar to LANDR and analytics, will you put it back in the oven for a while?

What makes you think LANDR and Analytics should have been "put back in the oven"?

I have no issue with either of those. Just thinking about why you would float a release a week ahead of schedule.
2016/03/10 23:27:28
Anderton
ampfixer
I have no issue with either of those. Just thinking about why you would float a release a week ahead of schedule.

Some people like previews, and some people are early adopters by nature. And if a showstopper bug does get exposed and there's a hot fix a couple days later, that wouldn't suck either.
2016/03/11 00:13:30
promidi
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]

When an Early Access release is available, we’ll post an announcement in the main SONAR forum. The Early Access will then appear in Command Center under the Rollback menu.

I am wondering if consideration has been given to having this early access program in its own separate menu - something like "Release Candidate" or "Early Access Program".  Of course such a change would require an updated Command Centre.
2016/03/11 08:51:38
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
promidi
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]

When an Early Access release is available, we’ll post an announcement in the main SONAR forum. The Early Access will then appear in Command Center under the Rollback menu.

I am wondering if consideration has been given to having this early access program in its own separate menu - something like "Release Candidate" or "Early Access Program".  Of course such a change would require an updated Command Centre.

Yes we had discussed prior to announcing and the goal was to get this rolling (pun intended) as soon as possible.
I'm all for clarity and reduced confusion, we just have to put our resources where/when it makes sense to do so. 

Keith
2016/03/11 11:01:34
FCCfirstclass
Great Idea! Count me in also.
2016/03/11 11:20:42
FanCake
I congratulate Cakewalk in this leap forward.

However:

I think releasing a Release Candidate e-zine simultaneously with these releases is important. Customers need to know what they are getting even with previews.

Also it will be far more useful if was released 2 to 3 weeks in advance rather than a week or a few days. I hope this will be the next step.

Don't get me wrong, this a good first step.
2016/03/11 11:49:04
Paul P

I think that it would be better for the brave to have to sign up to receive the previews.  If the idea is to spread out surprises in a fashion better suited to the person at the receiving end*, it should require a deliberate declaration that one is one of the brave and accepts the challenge and the risk.  If the preview is just thrown in with the rest of the updates, there's the chance that someone faint of heart will just grab it out of habit, then get hit with a surprise they can't handle.

*The brave get hit but they can take it.  Then they soften the blow for the rest of us by reporting their experience in a format that we can digest before having to act ourselves.
2016/03/11 12:00:27
FanCake
Paul P

I think that it would be better for the brave to have to sign up to receive the previews.  If the idea is to spread out surprises in a fashion better suited to the person at the receiving end*, it should require a deliberate declaration that one is one of the brave and accepts the challenge and the risk.  If the preview is just thrown in with the rest of the updates, there's the chance that someone faint of heart will just grab it out of habit, then get hit with a surprise they can't handle.

*The brave get hit but they can take it.  Then they soften the blow for the rest of us by reporting their experience in a format that we can digest before having to act ourselves.

People should make it their business to know what they are downloading in my opinion, and stop complaining about not being spoon fed. Besides if they make a mistake they can roll back.
2016/03/11 12:05:47
FanCake
A question has popped in my head.

If I...
Install a final release
then later on your preview/RC version.
then later on install the next final release.

If I decide to roll back at this point, which version would I be rolling back to? Is there a choice?

2016/03/11 12:15:34
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]
FanCake

If I...
Install a final release
then later on your preview/RC version.
then later on install the next final release.

If I decide to roll back at this point, which version would I be rolling back to? Is there a choice?

Just to better illustrate what I think you are saying...

1) March - You install the official public release.  
2) April - You decide to check out the Preview.  There's no issues with it so it eventually becomes the official public release (i.e. same build number, we just remove the "Early Access" label from the installer name as it appears in your store account - it's still the same bits).
3) May - You install the official public release, but don't like something with it so you want to roll back.

At that point rollback will install the last official public release for April.  Let me know if I followed your question correctly.

Jim

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account