• Songs
  • Fizzy Pickle return - Missing You
2016/04/30 20:35:53
Fizzy Pickle
Hi Folks
Here is our latest recording, a cover of John Waite's Missing You.
(See next post for link as this is a new forum account)
Fizzy Pickle are
Elizabeth (the current Mrs daryl1968) Greenway
Ed (Bapu) Kocol
Daryl (daryl1968) Greenway
Izzy Awkward
Joining us on this one:- Lasse (Leizer) Williamson on violins
Recorded at Studio Qocol, Sky Blue Studios and Sleepwalker Strings Studios
2016/04/30 20:40:43
daryl1968
2016/04/30 21:00:02
bapu
Excellent job by Liz, Daryl and Lasse. I enjoyed working on this one as I have a direct connection with a co-writer on this song.
2016/04/30 21:03:24
daryl1968
bapu
Excellent job by Liz, Daryl and Lasse. I enjoyed working on this one as I have a direct connection with a co-writer on this song.

Excellent job by you Ed.
Go on, tell the story mate.
2016/04/30 21:08:52
bapu
Ok mate, here goes (it involves a band mate from long ago, Frank Zappa, my son and a guy named Peter Wolf):

In about 1971 or so Chas Sandford (he and I were in a band before he became a record producer) left to make it big in England* but left his Marshall head with me for safe keeping.

In 1980 he called me and asked that I sell it and send him the money. I put an ad in the The Recycler (the craigslist of the day) and this (what I thought was a) German guy comes to my house in Simi Valley to buy it. We get to talking and he tells me that he loves Simi Valley and hopes to live there one day.

I ask him if he plays guitar and he says no, he plays keyboards but wants the head to make his keyboard sound like a guitar. I ask him if he's in a band and he says he is and that he just joined Frank Zappa's band. So I have to give him a receipt an I ask his name and he says Peter Wolf.

Do I believe him? No, because Peter Wolf was in the J. Geils Band and I know he's American.

Fast forward to 1991 or so. My son and his band answer an ad from a producer who wants to re-record an album concept of his from the 70s but using all new (and young musicians). Jason tells me about this producer who lives in Simi Valley who is named, are you ready for it? Peter Wolf form Austria.

Of course a few years after I sold the head to Peter I became aware of his presence in Zappa's band.

So, I ask Jason did Peter remember me. He said he did and that it was because of meeting me in Simi Valley that he (Peter) and his wife decided to live in Simi Valley.

The only down side to the album production was that my son and his band got too cocky and thought they could write their own (more relevant) material and ending up abandoning the project and moved to Berkeley, CA.

* Footnote on Chas: while in England he meets John Waite and co-writes Missing You, which certainly helped Chas' career.

2016/05/01 07:40:52
jamesg1213
Love it, what a great version. Works beautifully with that melancholy piano. Production is top drawer as always.

Can you do an XTC cover and let me play on it so I can tell my Andy Partridge story...again?
2016/05/01 07:42:37
jamesg1213
Love that avatar too, I saw that pic a while ago, brilliant.
2016/05/01 08:17:39
Wookiee
Very enjoyable chaps and chapess your usual level of production shines through,.
2016/05/01 16:00:01
Lynn
You guys do some of the best cover songs because you can take a so-so song and elevated it.  Elizabeth's voice just gets better.  Nice one!
2016/05/01 16:24:42
Leizer
Thanks guys/Liz for letting me in on this song! It was a pleasure and don't hesitate to ask next time there is urgent need of strings.

Loved this version from the start to the finish. And I need to buy that piano plug!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account