• Songs
  • Fizzy Pickle return - Missing You (p.2)
2016/05/01 19:14:56
bapu
jamesg1213
so I can tell my Andy Partridge story...again?

Go ahead mayte, tell it again.
2016/05/01 19:20:18
eph221
entertaining.  
2016/05/02 07:06:46
daryl1968
bapu
Ok mate, here goes (it involves a band mate from long ago, Frank Zappa, my son and a guy named Peter Wolf):

In about 1971 or so Chas Sandford (he and I were in a band before he became a record producer) left to make it big in England* but left his Marshall head with me for safe keeping.

In 1980 he called me and asked that I sell it and send him the money. I put an ad in the The Recycler (the craigslist of the day) and this (what I thought was a) German guy comes to my house in Simi Valley to buy it. We get to talking and he tells me that he loves Simi Valley and hopes to live there one day.

I ask him if he plays guitar and he says no, he plays keyboards but wants the head to make his keyboard sound like a guitar. I ask him if he's in a band and he says he is and that he just joined Frank Zappa's band. So I have to give him a receipt an I ask his name and he says Peter Wolf.

Do I believe him? No, because Peter Wolf was in the J. Geils Band and I know he's American.

Fast forward to 1991 or so. My son and his band answer an ad from a producer who wants to re-record an album concept of his from the 70s but using all new (and young musicians). Jason tells me about this producer who lives in Simi Valley who is named, are you ready for it? Peter Wolf form Austria.

Of course a few years after I sold the head to Peter I became aware of his presence in Zappa's band.

So, I ask Jason did Peter remember me. He said he did and that it was because of meeting me in Simi Valley that he (Peter) and his wife decided to live in Simi Valley.

The only down side to the album production was that my son and his band got too cocky and thought they could write their own (more relevant) material and ending up abandoning the project and moved to Berkeley, CA.

* Footnote on Chas: while in England he meets John Waite and co-writes Missing You, which certainly helped Chas' career.

Cool story
2016/05/02 09:37:44
dcumpian
I wasn't sure about the early sparseness of this version, but after that first chorus comes in, I was sold. Very nice, clean mix, and great job everyone!

Regards,
Dan

2016/05/02 12:53:55
Vilovilo
Hi,
Great performance. I didn't know the original so I gave it an hear and I must admit I didn't like it though I like what you did with this song.
The vocals are really nice something that reminds me about Sally Oldfield.
Give an ear to a group named : The Corrs,I'm sure a tune or two would fit.
BRAVO .
Thank you for sharing.
Olivier.
2016/05/02 14:02:00
daryl1968
jamesg1213
Love it, what a great version. Works beautifully with that melancholy piano. Production is top drawer as always.

Can you do an XTC cover and let me play on it so I can tell my Andy Partridge story...again?

Thanks mate. I'll work on the XTC thing.
2016/05/02 14:52:09
stevec
As usual, a version that is different than the original yet completely stands on its own.  The instrumentation makes for an interesting combination that works nicely, and Liz' vocals are clean and clear.  A little less rock, a little more pop, and bang - it's a hit.  

2016/05/02 19:40:26
daryl1968
jamesg1213
Love that avatar too, I saw that pic a while ago, brilliant.

Bapu's the one in the dress
2016/05/02 19:45:03
bapu
daryl1968
jamesg1213
Love that avatar too, I saw that pic a while ago, brilliant.

Bapu's the one in the dress

And Daryk stole my pants (errm trousers) and Bass.
2016/05/02 20:36:40
emeraldsoul
Your version, being less histrionic than the original, is better, in my opinion.

And, in my opinion, you used the correct amount of reverb!!!  :)

well done, love her voice, and how you did a simple, deconstructed version of the tune.

cheers,
-Tom
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account