• SONAR
  • VST Limit Reported by Other DAWs in Windows. What Say You, Cakewalk?
2016/08/22 10:26:34
JonD
Steinberg's announcement:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/vst-plugin-loading-limitation-on-windows-3852.html

Presonus' article:
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210757986-Problem-with-songs-refusing-to-add-plug-ins-in-Studio-One-on-Windows

Given CW's close relationship with Microsoft, I have a feeling this "flaw" may be old news to Noel and the gang, but I think it might be interesting to hear their thoughts on this.
2016/08/22 13:41:38
dcumpian
I wonder what the limit would be? DLL loading limit? In any case, I've never run into this using Sonar.

Regards,
Dan
2016/08/22 14:06:38
microapp
Since this is a C++ thing, it has always been there.
In either link, the actual number of VSTs allowed was not mentioned.
I have seen tables for Cubase on the DawBench site which list hundreds of VST compressors for some of the higher end CPUs. (DawBench adds compressors to a project until dropouts occur.) Certainly many more VSTS than I have ever used in one project.

It may be that until recently, CPU power was the limiting factor and the C++ VST limit was not achievable.
Unless there are other factors (yet undiscovered) which limit VSTs to a ridiculously low number, I consider this a non-issue... for me anyway.
2016/08/22 14:10:54
Anderton
microapp
I consider this a non-issue... for me anyway.

You mean you don't feel it's necessary to have 1,431 plug-ins on every track?!?

Maybe this is just Microsoft's gentle way of saying "Dammit, get the sound right at the source so you don't need to use so many plug-ins "
2016/08/22 15:42:02
slartabartfast
Anderton

Maybe this is just Microsoft's gentle way of saying "Dammit, get the sound right at the source so you don't need to use so many plug-ins "

Or maybe MS just does not understand the mania for audio under Windows, and cannot imagine anyone doing more than listening to Spotify on their PC. I refer you to the limit on MIDI connections and the failure to manage a cleanup system to free up ghost connections that led many musicians to think their computers were broken, about  which you have written. Microsoft has seldom been accused of over-provisioning Windows with features for the great masses of the prosumer audio marketplace, and I doubt that is because they intend to enforce discipline on those of us who have never learned to freeze a track.  

http://www.harmonycentral...dows-midi-port-problem
2016/08/22 16:25:14
pwalpwal
microapp
Since this is a C++ thing, it has always been there.
In either link, the actual number of VSTs allowed was not mentioned.
I have seen tables for Cubase on the DawBench site which list hundreds of VST compressors for some of the higher end CPUs. (DawBench adds compressors to a project until dropouts occur.) Certainly many more VSTS than I have ever used in one project.

It may be that until recently, CPU power was the limiting factor and the C++ VST limit was not achievable.
Unless there are other factors (yet undiscovered) which limit VSTs to a ridiculously low number, I consider this a non-issue... for me anyway.

seems like its a unique dlls limit https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=38
2016/08/22 16:28:20
microapp
I can't bash Microsoft for 'designing for the masses' and then say it is OK for Cakewalk to do the same. It is a business reality and not necessarily a chosen philosophy for either company.
The problem with the VST limit is that it is a C++ thing. C++ is not the ideal programming language for an OS. It is a major reason for so many security issues. Again a business decision.
Actually, I have always been surprised that Windows works as well as it does.
2016/08/22 16:30:09
BobF
slartabartfast
Anderton

Or maybe MS just does not understand the mania for audio under Windows, and cannot imagine anyone doing more than listening to Spotify on their PC. I refer you to the limit on MIDI connections and the failure to manage a cleanup system to free up ghost connections that led many musicians to think their computers were broken, about  which you have written. Microsoft has seldom been accused of over-provisioning Windows with features for the great masses of the prosumer audio marketplace, and I doubt that is because they intend to enforce discipline on those of us who have never learned to freeze a track.  

http://www.harmonycentral...dows-midi-port-problem

What a great article!  After reading that article I was able to solve MIDI weirdness a couple of times.

I don't know about the practical impact of this specific topic, but I do wish MS would focus a little more on prosumer audio under the hood.

2016/08/22 16:31:06
Sanderxpander
I wonder if this affects Waves the same way since their plugins run in their own shell. If all of those count together as "one" unique DLL I'll definitely never run into issues.
2016/08/22 16:53:54
Anderton
BobF
I don't know about the practical impact of this specific topic

Well, same here. If it's always been around, it seems strange people are just picking up on it now. I wonder if this affects ProChannel modules as well...probably?

but I do wish MS would focus a little more on prosumer audio under the hood.

Apple made a giant leap with Core Audio and aggregation, but I haven't seen a lot since then either. Remember, the only reason we have Core Audio and such was because audio and MIDI was a mess, to the point where Apple was reliant on Opcode to make things work for music...so the short form is they hired the people from Opcode who could make the same improvements as part of the OS. Similarly, Windows is reliant on Steinberg's ASIO to get things right for audio. 

The reality is the prosumer music industry is an infinitesimally small part of either company's user base. The two computers that really did try to appeal to prosumer music production, Atari and Amiga, are no longer with us. I'm not saying that's cause and effect but I'm not saying it isn't, either...

However, I will give props to Microsoft for what they did improve in Windows 10. They made MIDI multi-client, may have fixed the MIDI port problem (I haven't encountered it yet with W10), improved the audio stack, made gapless playback for data-compressed files, and hitched their wagons to FLAC instead of lossy compression. I've talked with people internal to Microsoft and their roadmap does include having Windows audio eventually (the key word) perform as well as or better than ASIO.

Unfortunately out of the 1.5 billion people using the Windows operating system, most are running spreadsheets, word processors, and surfing the net...not creating multitrack music or video productions in their homes.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account