2016/09/07 12:19:07
Stefano Bellezza
In English, values of notes are expressed as fractions: whole, 1/2, 1/4 and so on. Other languages however also have a set of names for each value, e.g. Italian uses "semibreve", "minima" etc., French uses "blanche", "noire", etc. and so on.

By peeking in our translation projects, I noticed that these languages are somewhat inconsistent: there are places where they follow English and use numeric values, and others where they use the local names.

I have gathered some feedback from experienced users, and the consensus is that numeric values are understood even by those who have a formal musical training, plus they are more immediately useful when dealing with quantizing, step sequencer, and so on. Finally, numbers save space: compare "1/64" to "semibiscroma" or "quadruple croche", and imagine them in a busy dialog.According to some users, the place to use note names, if at all, would be when working with scores.

So, my question: what is your preference? Would you like to see numbers used consistently? Would you save note names for some areas? Which areas exactly?

Thank you for your opinion. I will keep the question open for 6 weeks, and then work on elaborating and implementing the feedback - you should see the results by release 2016.12

Best regards,
Stefano Bellezza
Localization Manager
2016/09/07 12:40:42
TheMaartian
All numbers. All the time.

And, please, can we in the U.S. finally bite the bullet and convert to metric?
2016/09/07 18:02:44
Sir William
Personally, I don't like the American way at all. Whole note, half note, quarter note etc.
I was classically trained in the UK and much prefer semibreve, minim, crotchet, quaver etc.
However, I do realise it's a big world out there, and as long as we all understand each variation I am happy.
2016/09/08 10:31:49
KPerry
US method - way easier for non-musicians to understand too.

Although I prefer to see my notes valued in USD or GBP personally :-)
2016/09/08 12:12:05
Sir William
KPerry

Mmm...

A quarter note is a quarter only in 4/4, it's a third in 3/4 - however it IS a crotchet in any time signature.
2016/09/08 12:55:41
Slugbaby
I prefer the "US version."

Although I'd like it to be known as something other than that, due to the empirical Yankee stereotype.  
2016/09/08 15:57:24
BobF
Sir William
KPerry

Mmm...

A quarter note is a quarter only in 4/4, it's a third in 3/4 - however it IS a crotchet in any time signature.

A quarter is a quarter of a whole under all circumstances.
2016/09/08 16:15:47
Sir William
So what is a whole note in 3/4 or 6/8 etc?
2016/09/08 16:35:12
stevec
Sir William
So what is a whole note in 3/4 or 6/8 etc?

It's still 4/4 or 8/8, which probably explains why whole notes typically aren't used in those meters. 

Perhaps they need to provide two different sets of note names, one in color A and the other in colour B.   

2016/09/09 01:12:26
Kamikaze
Sir William
KPerry

Mmm...

But it still feel like a foreign language, 'crotchet' 'minm'. I would have to look these up (I'm English), but I can tell from fractions easily and in any language. I could teach my Vietnamese kids, and they would be fine with it. 

Music for the most part and for those not familiar with the more technical side of is in 4/4. Of course their are plently of exceptions, but by a long way, it's 4/4. And when you start experimenting 3/4, you get the not length distinction pretty quickly.

Their is also an issue of disply. Not length is shown in the Tool Hud and on the control panel. Snap on the control bar gos to 1/128. That fits on the button top. If you do have it shown in written form somewhere elese, I'd think you'd need to inlcuded the numerical format alongside so it teid in with the control bar.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account