• SONAR
  • Issue: moving overlapping clips SPLITS CLIPS!!
2017/02/06 12:39:04
VariousArtist
When I move an overlapped clip, part of the other clip moves with it.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
- Overlap two audio clips.  
- Select just one of the clips and move it.  
- NOTE: you may need to overlap with crossfade on and move "into" the crossfade a bit

The moved clip also takes with it the part that overlaps from the other clip.  Essentially it has sliced the other clip at the selection point.  

See this video here: 
https://youtu.be/UO8yHwxj2g8

Is this a feature or even desirable?  And can it be turned off?  I have tried selecting different points when moving but I don't see it being different than how I operated before (I had originally encountered this in 2017.01, but now I've rolled back I am seeing it in 2016.12 so maybe this has been around for a while;  but I've never experienced it before so I am perplexed)

Anyone else notice this issue?  I'm guessing it should be easy to reproduce.

UPDATE!  See this post http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3557425
2017/02/06 12:41:30
VariousArtist
On a separate note, after rolling back I opened my project and....all the fade points have been reset to some arbitrarily (way too) early point.  So if I did a short fade at the end of a clip, it has turned it into a long fade.  
2017/02/06 12:57:52
jpetersen
The Shards (aka Slivers) problem has been around for some versions now.
Annoying that it hasn't been fixed yet.

Also annoying is that fade points don't return to their original position.
Makes Auto Crossfade cost more time than it saves.

Reaper does this elegantly.
2017/02/06 13:08:01
VariousArtist
True jpeterson but what I am describing is a new issue.  I have removed the word "shards" from my title to avoid confusion 
2017/02/06 19:59:18
Anderton
VariousArtist
Here are the steps to reproduce:
- Overlap two audio clips.  
- Select just one of the clips and move it.  
The moved clip also takes with it the part that overlaps from the other clip.  Essentially it has sliced the other clip at the selection point.  

I've tried this multiple times with a variety of file types and can't reproduce. Can you provide more details? Are Take Lanes involved?

You are correct that "shards" was fixed, it was due to the Now time backing up upon stop/record, which doesn't happen any more.

I don't quite understand the fade issue, I have yet to open a project where the fades weren't where I left them. The only time I get in trouble with fades is I forget that multiple clips were selected, so then I change one fade and the fade changes on all of them.
2017/02/06 20:41:20
SMcNamara
Anderton
I've tried this multiple times with a variety of file types and can't reproduce. Can you provide more details? Are Take Lanes involved?

Same here, Craig; not reproducible with split clips, and no problem with fades (though I haven't had to roll back ever since the frequent update program started).
2017/02/06 21:00:40
Anderton
I do know that if you select part of a clip and move it by the handle, it will split off as a separate element. But that's always been a great feature for me. To see what I mean:

Take a clip that's, oh, 8 measures long.
Drag in the timeline to select measure 5.
Click on the handle in measure 5 and move it (even very, very slightly will do the job).

It will break off as its own clip.
2017/02/06 21:36:20
ampfixer
I'm curious if those with an issue and those that are good have their recording preferences set the same. There are a lot of options including what happens with overlapping clips. Perhaps the issue only occurs under certain preference settings.
2017/02/06 21:45:02
Anderton
Yes, that's certainly true and exactly why more details are needed.
2017/02/07 09:00:15
VariousArtist
Thanks for checking Craig. I may try updating again later to compare before and after, but for the moment I wanted to keep my momentum going productivity-wise.

I usually keep the recording button in sound-on-sound mode. And I rarely, if ever, use take lanes.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account