2017/06/28 00:56:39
GjB
Hello everyone,

I'm a new (but old) guy who has finally bought Sonar Professional.
I'm currently learning the software, and enjoying the video tutorial 'Groove 3 Sonar Explained'.
I've always liked the Gary Numan type synth sounds, plus sweeps and atmospheric type moody sounds that mesmerize (and make me shiver, if I'm to be honest). Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology when I say sweeps and such.

I realize that this is a noob type question, but which extra software would you use or recommend, to get many of these types of sounds out of the box? Most music I intend to make will probably be the above kind of thing (atmospheric, trance, techno, orchestral, etc.) - the type of sound played using chords, because I can't play the piano.

Thanks for your time. I just want to know what you would use or recommend. Feel free to PM me with any ideas too, so long as it all works within or alongside Sonar.

Grant

(ps. I did subscribe to Sonar but had to cancel some 18 months ago. This time I bought it.)

2017/06/28 01:33:51
SF_Green
Hi Grant,

The Groove 3 videos are very good.  You've made a good call there.  To start I would really learn and experiment with the included synths that you got with Sonar.  The Zeta 2 would be especially good for the type of music you are looking to make.  That said, if you really want the Gary Numan Polymoog sound, Xils Labs is just about to come out with a Polymoog clone called PolyM.  I've been listening to some of the demos on YouTube and it really sounds good.

The other synth I would recommend would be Spectrasonic's Omnisphere 2 This is a really great synth, that does a lot, especially great atmospheric sounds and pads.  But also does some really unique sounding leads.  It's a monster of a synth. 

Cheers from SF,
Bud
2017/06/28 02:22:55
GjB
Thanks very much SF_Green.
I have always been interested in Omnisphere. It's a little expensive for me at this stage.
When I finish the tutorial and can get around Sonar more fluently, I'll try the demo of Zeta 2.
That PolyM sounds amazing on YouTube, especially if you are an old Gary Numan fan. I'll definitely keep my eyes out for that!

Thank you.
2017/06/28 03:31:12
abacab
You can actually do a lot with the z3ta+ classic that comes with Professional.  Try that out before you spend any money.

This free e-book covers a lot of synth programming topics using z3ta+ for many of the examples.
How to Make a Noise: a Comprehensive Guide to Synthesizer Programming
https://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make-a-noise-a-comprehensive-guide-to-synthesizer-programming/

The download link has the e-book in PDF format, as well as a z3ta+ patch bank for the examples.  The other synths outlined in the book are rather dated now, but zeta+ has aged well.  It's a very capable synth that sounds great, and is good to learn with.  If you decide to try out Z3TA+ 2, you will find that the updated version is based on the same engine, with an updated GUI and a few new features.

The author also made another e-book freely available that contains all the chapters that his publisher cut from the printed edition of his book "Cakewalk Synthesizers from presets to power user, 2nd edition".
https://noisesculpture.com/cakewalk-synthesizers-downloads/  (follow the link "Please click on this link to access the download materials that accompany the second edition of the book").  Chapter 26 covers z3ta+, while Chapter 29 includes a walkthrough with sound designer Francesco Silvestri as he creates a few sounds for z3ta+. 
2017/06/28 04:30:44
GjB
That's great. Thank you abacab.
I've downloaded the 2 books (and download materials) and I look forward to using those as tutorials.
Scanning through, I can see that it looks like a good way to learn more about z3ta, like you said.
I've bookmarked this thread too.
Much appreciated.
2017/06/28 13:23:30
abacab
GjB
That's great. Thank you abacab.
I've downloaded the 2 books (and download materials) and I look forward to using those as tutorials.
Scanning through, I can see that it looks like a good way to learn more about z3ta, like you said.
I've bookmarked this thread too.
Much appreciated.

Hope you find those useful.  The "How To Make a Noise" book has some very useful general info about synth architecture, filters, envelopes, sound sources, and modulation, that all synths have in common.

If you learn how to do that with one synth, then you can likely master them all! 

I always like to point out this "One Synth Challenge" contest over at the KVR forum, that requires all contestants submit a song that is recorded and mixed with only one synth (more than one instance is allowed) an all of the tracks in the mix.

You can stream and hear the archived track list from OSC #31 that used z3ta+ for the challenge.  I really find it inspiring!  Some of the styles aren't always my favorites, but it gives an idea of what is possible!
OSC 31: Z3ta+https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-31-z3ta
2017/06/28 22:11:58
Magic Russ
I always thought Rapture was a lot more atmospheric and moody than z3ta+.
2017/06/28 22:16:32
abacab
Magic Russ

Yup, but the OP has Sonar Professional, which only comes with Rapture LE.
2017/06/28 23:42:39
GjB
abacab
Hope you find those useful.  The "How To Make a Noise" book has some very useful general info about synth architecture, filters, envelopes, sound sources, and modulation, that all synths have in common.

If you learn how to do that with one synth, then you can likely master them all! 

I always like to point out this "One Synth Challenge" contest over at the KVR forum, that requires all contestants submit a song that is recorded and mixed with only one synth (more than one instance is allowed) an all of the tracks in the mix.

You can stream and hear the archived track list from OSC #31 that used z3ta+ for the challenge.  I really find it inspiring!  Some of the styles aren't always my favorites, but it gives an idea of what is possible!
OSC 31: Z3ta+
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-31-z3ta

Thanks abacab. Yes, it does give an idea of what is possible. I'll listen to the rest of them, and read the books after watching Groove 3 Sonar Explained. Thanks
2017/06/28 23:51:43
GjB
Magic Russ

Thanks Magic Russ. I have always liked the example piece of music 'Cosmic Lead' demonstrated on the Rapture Pro page. It actually just made me shiver listening to it again. (Maybe because I used to watch/stream the TV show House, which had that or similar Massive Attack (Teardrop) music in the intro.)
As abacab mentioned, I have Rapture LE at the moment, which also doesn't have Cosmic Lead.
No big deal though at this stage. I'm learning to walk before I try to run. Thanks.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account