• Cakewalk Instruments
  • Which instrument offers the most Synths, sweeps, atmospheric type sounds? (p.3)
2017/07/01 13:54:38
GjB
Thanks for the info about synths. I've been doing a fair bit of research and need to spend time learning Sonar now.
Omnisphere2 is out of the question at my skill level (and financially) at the moment.
Yes, I saw the u-he synths in a few top best synth videos on YouTube.
Some Nexus2 sounds are my cup of tea, but that's pretty expensive too at this stage.
I'm very interested in PolyM when that is released.
I'd be tempted to enquire more about Wibbles's unregistered CM version of Rapture, but I'm still trying to setup my controller keyboard properly, so I should concentrate on the basics, watch tutorials, continue learning, and ask a few noob questions for now.
Thanks for your opinions, advice and hints. Much appreciated.

2017/07/01 14:42:09
abacab
GjB
Thanks for the info about synths. I've been doing a fair bit of research and need to spend time learning Sonar now.
Omnisphere2 is out of the question at my skill level (and financially) at the moment.
Yes, I saw the u-he synths in a few top best synth videos on YouTube.
Some Nexus2 sounds are my cup of tea, but that's pretty expensive too at this stage.
I'm very interested in PolyM when that is released.
I'd be tempted to enquire more about Wibbles's unregistered CM version of Rapture, but I'm still trying to setup my controller keyboard properly, so I should concentrate on the basics, watch tutorials, continue learning, and ask a few noob questions for now.
Thanks for your opinions, advice and hints. Much appreciated.

Good luck on your journey.  Just relax and take it a step at a time.  Trying to swallow the whole thing at once can be challenging.

Just getting a new DAW setup and working with a new controller can be a big project in itself.  Saw your other thread where you just picked up a new M-Audio Code61.  It looks good!  I have an old M-Audio Axiom, and the keys still feel great, with velocity & aftertouch, and the pitch bend and mod wheels are very functional.  Solid build, and so the Code series look like a good replacement if I ever need to do that.

But if you can still grab Rapture for $5, that would give you plenty of atmosphere, when you are ready!  Definitely worth more than that price!
2017/07/01 14:55:30
abacab
Another thing that I just noticed about the Code61, is that the software bundle includes two synths, AIR Loom & AIR Hybrid 3.

I think you will find that Hybrid 3 offers a huge library with some very interesting sounds.  Have fun with that if it came with your bundle!  http://www.airmusictech.com/product/hybrid-3

I also have the AIR Loom as well, and love some of the unique sounds that it can make. But it may be a little advanced due to the dedicated additive synthesis mode that it uses.  Quite different from the typical subtractive synthesis modes used by mainstream virtual analog synths.  It is fun to explore, though!

2017/07/01 15:12:15
GjB
abacab
But if you can still grab Rapture for $5, that would give you plenty of atmosphere, when you are ready!  Definitely worth more than that price!

Good idea. Thanks. I just did. (And the bundled software was done yesterday.)

2017/07/01 18:04:45
Wibbles
Well, that saves me having to look for my copy of the mag. I'm having some building work done on my hovel and everything is in chaos at the moment. But, yeah, the offer was there.
2017/07/02 00:56:51
GjB
Wibbles
Well, that saves me having to look for my copy of the mag. I'm having some building work done on my hovel and everything is in chaos at the moment. But, yeah, the offer was there.

Thanks
2017/07/19 18:11:39
Wookiee
If you are looking for those old analogue sounds I would seriously check out Arturia's range, in particular their V collections.  Such soft synth toys as the Jupiter 8 V, the CS 80 V, Matrix V, Mini (Moog) V, ARP 2600, (Moog) Modular, Synclavier, and many more useful keyboards.
2017/07/19 23:09:23
GjB
Thanks Wookiee,
I'll look into Arturia's V collections.
2017/07/20 00:03:51
abacab
GjB
Thanks Wookiee,
I'll look into Arturia's V collections.

I have demos of several of Arturia's full instruments, as well as Analog Lab.  They are all excellent.

The full V-Collection currently lists for $499, but was recently on sale 50% off at $249.

But I think the bang for the buck is Analog Lab at $89.  It has 5000+ presets from the V-Collection of 17 modeled vintage keyboards.  The preset browser search lets you narrow down the type of sound you are looking for, and the instrument, if desired.

The full instruments all have demos, and are excellent recreations of the hardware interfaces.  But unless you really know the hardware, you will need to dedicate some time to learning each instrument. 

The Lab is the quickest way to get all the sounds, but you will be limited to the 20 knobs/sliders in the interface for sound shaping, and you cannot create patches from scratch.  The sound designer has dedicated the most relevant functions to the controls for each preset.  But it still rocks! 

Check out the free demo here: https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/analoglab/overview
2017/07/20 00:19:45
abacab
And just in case you missed it, the IK Multimedia Syntronik is being released tomorrow, and this is the last day to get in on the $99 pre-order price.  http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/syntronik/

"Syntronik is a cutting-edge virtual synthesizer that raises the bar in sound quality and flexibility thanks to the most advanced sampling techniques combined with a new hybrid sample and modeling synthesis engine. Syntronik includes 17 amazing instruments, available as a collection or separately, with over 2,000 preset sounds covering a wide selection from 38 of the most iconic to ultra-rare and painstakingly multi-sampled vintage synthesizers. Syntronik’s synthesis engine goes well beyond traditional sampling thanks to a brand new analog modeled filter section created with the utmost expertise from IK, the pioneer in virtual circuit modeling. This is coupled with exclusive DRIFT™ technology to accurately reproduce the behavior of oscillators from real hardware synths. All of this combined with an effects section that is unrivaled in the world of virtual instruments along with advanced features like 4-part layers, splits and arpeggiators make Syntronik the ultimate source of inspiration with the widest palette of synthesizer sounds ranging from exact reproductions of the originals to sounds never heard before that will stand out from the crowd in productions covering any genre and style."

Here are a couple of videos demonstrating the new synth collection.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3632665

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account