• Software
  • How to Use Cakewalk DX and DXi in Studio One! Really! (p.10)
2017/12/25 17:42:21
JonD
scook
soens
Once I thought it did but now it's dead in Samplitude

No need for DXshell wrapper in Samplitude. There is DX support built into the DAW.

But can the Sonitus FX be used outside of Sonar?  Has anyone tested them in Samp (without the wrapper)?
2017/12/25 18:07:23
scook
Yes, all but the Compressor and Gate are available in Samplitude. By default DX plug-ins are not loaded, to enable them add NoDirectXInit=0 to the [Setup] section of Sam_X64.ini and/or Samp.ini (for 32bit Samplitude). There is also a [DirectX_Hide] section of  DxPlugins.ini for the names of the plug-ins to hide such as the synths (no DXi support in Samplitude), Cronus (V-Vocal), the previously mentioned Sonitus Compressor and Gate and anything else that does not look useful.
2017/12/25 22:54:19
soens
So will having dxshell in the plugin folder for the DAWs that need it be a bad thing for those that don't? Or will they just ignore it?

EDIT: see post 101
2017/12/26 01:07:07
sharke
I'm baffled by all of this trouble just to use some ancient dx plugins that could easily be replaced by free equivalents that are probably better in every way.
2017/12/26 01:18:39
Anderton
sharke
I'm baffled by all of this trouble just to use some ancient dx plugins that could easily be replaced by free equivalents that are probably better in every way.

There are some unique features in the Delay, Modulator, Surround, and Wah that I haven't found anywhere else. Also the Multiband Compressor CPU hit is so low it makes a great crossover for multiband processing.

It was often a problem writing articles where I didn't want to be too "rah-rah Cakewalk." I'd come up with some cool technique using the Sonitus plug-ins, then try to find something else that did the the same thing so people using other DAWs could apply the technique. Often I came up empty-handed and had to write about something else.
2017/12/27 14:21:46
azslow3
For Reaper. In case someone want Sonitus Compressor and Gate,
find the following in %APPDATA%\REAPER\reaper-dxplugins64.ini
and make sure "Load=1" is set for both (Reaper set it to "0")

[{C54E2D60-F9CA-11D2-8C30-00805FE9FC03}]
Name=Sonitus:fx Compressor
Load=1
[{C54E2D90-F9CA-11D2-8C30-00805FE9FC03}]
Name=Sonitus:fx Gate
Load=1

Notes:
* no side chaining
* if you force Reaper re-scan DX plug-ins, they will be reset to "0" (but continue to work in existing projects)
* the compressor adds one buffer delay (not Reaper specific, just simpler to see in it).

2017/12/30 01:35:24
MarkSSwanson
Worked like a charm!  Thank you Craig!
2018/01/03 01:56:08
mikedocy
Anderton
There are some unique features in the Delay...

Agree. All the Sonitus plugs are good. My go-to delay is the Sonitus.
I have not found a suitable replacement for the Sonitus delay yet.
It can do Haas effect delays in .1 mS steps with the ability to mix in the dry signal, offset slap-backs or echos for stereo width, all the usual tempo related echos, Ping-Pong, EQ high and low filters, option for diffusion on the echo, etc.

2018/01/13 14:34:45
soens
All my Sonitus plugins are named "dxshell.dll"... in Sonar!

In Plugin Manager they're all properly named. Just not within Sonar.

dxshell works for other DAWs, but as long as it's in Cakewalk's folder and you try to use the plugs in Sonar, it will replace each plugin name with "dxshell.dll". Even after deleting this file and reopening and rescanning the plugins, they are still named "dxshell.dll".

Sounds like a registry hack or reinstall to fix this.

2018/01/13 14:42:31
soens
azslow3
For Reaper. In case someone want Sonitus Compressor and Gate,
find the following in %APPDATA%\REAPER\reaper-dxplugins64.ini
and make sure "Load=1" is set for both (Reaper set it to "0")

[{C54E2D60-F9CA-11D2-8C30-00805FE9FC03}]
Name=Sonitus:fx Compressor
Load=1
[{C54E2D90-F9CA-11D2-8C30-00805FE9FC03}]
Name=Sonitus:fx Gate
Load=1

Notes:
* no side chaining
* if you force Reaper re-scan DX plug-ins, they will be reset to "0" (but continue to work in existing projects)
* the compressor adds one buffer delay (not Reaper specific, just simpler to see in it).

Same for
rgc:audio Pentagon I
Dimension LE
Roland GrooveSynth

I haven't tried these since I no longer have Reaper installed.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account