• Software
  • How to Use Cakewalk DX and DXi in Studio One! Really! (p.11)
2018/01/13 20:14:38
ptheisen
Regarding modifying Reaper's dxplugins64.ini to force it to show the Sonitus compressor and gate, I tried that.

Yes, the effects will then be available. However, when I actually inserted the compressor (or gate, I forget which) into a Reaper project just for the fun of it, within moments (maybe it was when I clicked PLAY) Reaper crashed, which is highly unusual for me. Removing the plugin made the project play normally again. I suspect there is a reason that Reaper chose to ignore those plugins by default, and I will respect that, so I changed dxplugins64.ini back to Load=0 for those two. That was my experience, YMMV.
2018/01/22 02:44:12
whattarush
Thanks for the great tip Craig!!! Now I can use all of the Sonitus plugins in Studio One3!!!
2018/01/22 03:30:11
CakeAlexSHere
sharke
I'm baffled by all of this trouble just to use some ancient dx plugins that could easily be replaced by free equivalents that are probably better in every way.

Jeeze why am I always agreeing with you.. exactly.. time to move on.. there's a billion out there this is ancient tech and who knows when it will stop working. It's certainly not supported in any way.

One good thing about Studio One is the total lack of support for 32 bit plugins within the 64 bit DAW by design...forcing people to improve their DAW performance and stability. I suspect this reduces their tech support costs quite a bit.. Anyway I'm sure their support are gonna be so...so very happy learning that ex Sonar users are hooking ancient DX plugins into their modern DAW as a common thing..hopefully without hidden side effects.
2018/04/27 17:12:42
ChristopherM
I had installed these shells with Studio One and they appeared to work fine. However, having installed CbB I see that I now have, for instance, all the Sonitus plugs appearing twice, once as DX and once as VST2 (in their wrapper). Just for kicks, I loaded one instance of each version of Sonitus Compressor and selected the same preset, so that I could A/B them. Routing the same signal to them would make it hard to tell them apart, so I thought. In fact, the one wrapped as a VST actually sounded terrible; to my ear, it sounded like some kind of severe bit reduction. I carefully checked the setup to make sure that I had created identical parallel setups and I had. FWIW, the graphics on the wrapped one seem sluggish and wrong, too. Anybody know/guess why the wrapped version misbehaves in CbB? (I know this is not really a significant issue, but it has piqued my curiosity).
2018/05/01 18:29:35
dubdisciple
Although I am weening myself of deprecated plugins, I can understand the reasons some people still use them. No one would ask why someone would still use an old physical delay or reverb because it is easier to comprehend the reasons. Similar reasons apply. Even in digital world, plugins are unique and if someone really likes a cerrain sound, it makes perfect sense to stick with method of creation.
2018/05/02 12:36:47
wst3
CakeAlexSHere
sharke
I'm baffled by all of this trouble just to use some ancient dx plugins that could easily be replaced by free equivalents that are probably better in every way.

Jeeze why am I always agreeing with you.. exactly.. time to move on.. there's a billion out there this is ancient tech and who knows when it will stop working. It's certainly not supported in any way.

As a rule I try to stay away from anything that is built on the x86 framework, anything that has been discontinued, and anything that even appears half baked. As a rule. It just makes my life in the studio simpler.

But there are a couple reasons to try to salvage plugins that fall into one or more of those categories:
1) they exist in old projects, and for some reason I need to briefly revisit that old project, and I don't want to spend time swapping plugins.
2) the old plugin has a feature that I have not yet found in a current plugin. Examples, for me, would include NI Vokator and Spektral Delay, and yeah, the danged Sonitus delay.

That doesn't mean I would stop my hunt for replacements, I'd dearly love to have a 100% x64/VST(3) system, but there are reasons to keep the dinosaurs, at least for a little while longer!

Now I've found a decent work-around for x86 VST instruments - VEPro has an x86 server that does a very nice job of hosting the older instruments. I suppose I should try it with old processors now?
2018/05/03 01:00:40
SMcNamara
The Sonitus plugs are the only reason I use Dxi in S1 (particularly the Delay and the "surround", which I just use for automatic moving left, right, center , but I like the effect).  If someone knows specific replacements for these two I'm happy to move on.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account