• Software
  • Tell me about Samplitude (p.11)
2017/12/16 01:55:36
mikedocy
More Discoveries 2:

You can add multiple vst/dx paths from the vst menu.
The vst menu makes it look like you can only add one user vst path but this is not the case:

"(multiple VST plug-in folders may be used).
Simply enter one VST plug-in folder path, then using the folder icon on the right, have Samplitude
scan this chosen folder. Then enter in a 2nd VST plug-in folder and rescan using the
folder icon. Now the contents of both VST plug-in folders are available. Samplitude
will automatically find new plug-ins that have been installed if they are present in the
specified folders."

2017/12/16 02:01:26
mikedocy
More Discoveries 3:

To reset all vst paths to zero; Example: you changed vst paths and you want SAM to unlearn the current vst paths.
Delete file "VstPlugins.ini"
Add the new paths as shown in the above post and rescan the plugs. SAM will build a new VstPlugins.ini file.
2017/12/16 02:26:27
Ruben
mikedocy
More Discoveries 2:

The vst menu makes it look like you can only add one user vst path but this is not the case:

Simply enter one VST plug-in folder path, then using the folder icon on the right, have Samplitude
scan this chosen folder. Then enter in a 2nd VST plug-in folder and rescan using the
folder icon. Now the contents of both VST plug-in folders are available. Samplitude
will automatically find new plug-ins that have been installed if they are present in the
specified folders."

Yes, I've never liked the way they did this in Samp - it's unintuitive to change the path to a new folder and then expect Samp to remember the previous path. But I understand that improving VST management is already a feature request for Samp.

BTW, good tips. 
2017/12/16 05:15:59
soens
I love INI files!
2017/12/16 05:25:26
mikedocy
soens
I love INI files!

It is worthwhile to go to the location of the ini files and open them all to see what's in them.
This is a big help with the learning curve of SAM.
Agree that ini files rule.    :-)

2017/12/16 07:38:05
Larry Jones
Paul P
Having appreciated bitflipper and scook's contributions for so long, I felt compelled to follow their lead and go the Samplitude route for a replacement daw.

I just found out that Samplitude is about the only daw not supported by Nektar for their 'deep integration' software for my Impact LX88+ midi controller.

Not sure what I miss out on, but I've sent Nektar a question about this.

I just acquired the LX61+. I'd be interested in how Nektar responds to your note. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe Samplitude can be integrated with pretty much any controller through a MIDI learn process.
2017/12/16 14:50:51
soens
Kraznet reminds me of Sonar's FastBikerBoy Karl Rose's videos. Whatever became of him? Don't think he was an "X" user so he kinda fell off the radar... er, sonar.
2017/12/16 15:00:33
35mm
Larry Jones
Paul P
Having appreciated bitflipper and scook's contributions for so long, I felt compelled to follow their lead and go the Samplitude route for a replacement daw.

I just found out that Samplitude is about the only daw not supported by Nektar for their 'deep integration' software for my Impact LX88+ midi controller.

Not sure what I miss out on, but I've sent Nektar a question about this.

I just acquired the LX61+. I'd be interested in how Nektar responds to your note. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe Samplitude can be integrated with pretty much any controller through a MIDI learn process.

The controller editor in Samp is amazing. I have an LX88+ but I haven't set it up yet. I have however setup my ProjectMix (Mackie protocol) which was designed for and has built-in integration for Sonar, Cubase, PT, Logic, and Live. Using Samp's controller editor I was able to set the ProjectMix up to integrate far better with Samp than with any of the DAWs it was designed for. The same should be possible with The Nektar LX range, and using the controller editor you will probably get far better integration than Nektar are likely to provide - I wasn't impressed with their integration for Sonar, FL Studio or Studio One.
2017/12/16 16:59:21
35mm
mikedocy
Be aware that you cannot drag and drop an audio file onto the timeline to set the project tempo from the audio file,
like we can do in Sonar and SOP.

Kraznet did say he would send a feature request to the devs for this.
It is a competitive feature so I'm sure it will get implemented before too long.

Actually, I think you can but not just by dragging it on the timeline. I am sure I have seen something in the manual about conforming a project's tempo to an audio file. I haven't tried it and not sure where in the huge manual I saw it!
2017/12/16 17:01:30
bitflipper
Ruben
mikedocy
More Discoveries 2:

specified folders."

Yes, I've never liked the way they did this in Samp - it's unintuitive to change the path to a new folder and then expect Samp to remember the previous path. But I understand that improving VST management is already a feature request for Samp.

BTW, good tips. 

This is one of the stranger conventions in Samplitude, as it's unlike any piece of software of any type that I've ever seen. Dropdown lists have historically represented a single piece of data. When you choose an item from a listbox, it's a little shocking when you realize you've just added a second selection rather than replacing the first.

As long as they're consistent, which they seem to be, you can get used to such annoyances, er, innovations. 

Just as we did when Windows first made us go to a Start button to stop the computer. We initially laughed at the recycle bin, where nothing actually gets thrown away without additional effort. That seemed over the top even here in green, recycle-obsessed Seattle. I still hate the Windows makes you hunt for system settings, but I suppose I'll eventually get used to that, too.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account