• SONAR
  • Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] (p.3)
2018/03/29 09:06:47
msmcleod
Hi Meng, my top five are:
  1. .ins / SYSEX support for VSTi plugins - if direct support on instrument tracks is too hard, being able to do it via standard MIDI track routed to the VSTi would be good enough
  2. A way of wrapping 3rd party VST effects for use within ProChannel. I guess this could be done by extending the existing FX Chain functionality, but a distinction between a "preset" and a "chain template" (i.e. I create an FX Chain Template and have presets based on it) and the ability to add more buttons/knobs.
  3. An extended API for 3rd party developers along the same line as ACT, but to include tracks, project and global settings as well - areas such as ACT and CAL could do with a revamp, but opening up an API could allow the community to add their own, such as a better ACT editor, LUA replacing CAL, project import/export from other DAW's etc.
  4. BandLab project management e.g. browsing/import/export/forking directly within TDFKAS
  5. Fix timing issues, especially when loop mode is enabled

Mark.

2018/03/29 09:23:27
Wookiee
Since I started using Cakewalk software for music production back in the early 90's the staff view has always been one of its most attractive features, it has over time been heavily neglected:-

A. Staff view improvements.
1. The same control over snap in staff view as in the PRV.
2. Ability to place a 1/4 note triplets anywhere on the staff, not just beat 1 and beat 3
3. Note length selection tools for use with mouse. as in SONAR 8.5

B. Synth Rack improvements
1. When replacing a Synth it renames not just in the rack but in the track as well.
i.e. If you replaced Dim Pro with Rapture Pro
the Synth Rack will reflect the change but the track view folder remians as Dim Pro.
2. When Deleting a Synth the naming is consistent with track names.
i.e in a recent project I had 6 instances of the same synth, I deleted one instance, the rack renamed all the synths 1 to 5 but in the track view the tracks maintained their original numbering which did not relate in anyway to the numbering of the synths. Such that Synth 1 in the Rack was Synth 3 in the track view.

c. Control Bar.
1. More slots in the custom module.
2. The ability to control placement of modules without being restricted by left right or centre justification.

D. Pro Channel.
1. More Modules.
2. Pro Channel version of the Linear Phase plugs Multi band, Limiter and EQ, with the same fly-out capability of the Quad curve EQ.
3. More than one instance of the Quad Curve EQ in the Pro Channel.

There are a few more things but the above will do for now.
2018/03/29 09:24:40
marled
Thank you Meng for the interest in user opinions!

1.) Most important: Fix the constant crashes working with Melodyne (ARA).
2.) The project should remember more different folder settings (project,
    project audio, audio import/export, midi import/export), so that I do not
    have to change folders permanently using those functions.
3.) PRV/staff view: The current values of the selected note should be displayed
    for direct manipulation (double click to enter value). I have seen in other
    DAWs that this speeds up note entering immensely, because you do not always
    have to open a popup.
4.) Staff view improvments: E.g. single triplets (with rests), correct display
    of quavers and semi-quavers (with rest in between if necessary).
5.) Don't change the Quadcurve EQ, it is super!
2018/03/29 09:58:22
Soundwise
Sonar is nearly perfect for me, yet some things need to be improved.Here is a short wish list:

1. Mackie/HUI support. There is a solution by azslow, I believe it can be integrated into TDFKAS out-of-the -box.
2. Staff view has a lot to be desired. I wish it was as powerful and intuitive as in Logic.
3. Ability to swap enable/disable rows of plugins in FX bin. Possible cell like organization similar to the latest Cubase or Pro Tools is a good idea.
4. Pre- and post- recording buffer like in Samplitude. Long overdue!

Also worth considering:
Audio engine has some hiccups when looping is triggered. Presumable it takes a lot of work to overhaul the audiocore. But if done properly, things like arrangement track would be possible to implement.

Auto accompaniment like in Digitech Trio would be awesome! If it's possible in a pedal format, why can't this be done within a full power DAW?

2018/03/29 10:47:18
HarryC
Feature:
1. Optical view if ripple edit is active
2. Optical input gain control if input is clipping (without ProChannel is activ) maybe a input metering control
that would be great.
2018/03/29 10:54:43
35mm
I think now that many of us have seriously examined and tried out different DAWs there will be lots of ideas popping up in this thread!

1. Fix the random audio engine dropouts.
2. Act & Mackie improvements - check out the power of Samplitude's controller editor for setting up any controller just how you want it.
3. Staff view obviously.
4. Pre and post recording buffer as Soundwise said above.
5. General bug and performance fixes.
2018/03/29 11:07:55
Daibhidh
Hi Meng,

Thanks for asking!
1) For me, Sonar already has the pro-channel of the CA-2A, but it would be fantastic if TDFKAS could have Universal Audio's Bluestripe 1176 compressor in the pro-channel! Green day's sound engineer, Chris Lord-Alge, constantly uses it, and for good reason. Slate and UA have great versions of it, but that doesn't mean TDFKAS shouldn't have its own native pro-channel version! :)
Here's a YouTube comparing their audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=0m30s&v=0eclFxIzWlE

2) If you want to radically change the GUI please leave the skylight for those users who don't like change, while being totally free to make a totally new one for the next generation. I think it would be a great way of keeping the old timers happy while also being free to be creative and make something very different for the future.

3) Let the fan base vote on features they want and if they would cost a certain amount, allow for something like Kickstarter so features really important to users can be fully funded if there's enough interest. Logos Bible software has a feature like this called community pricing. I think a similar model would work well for special features you might not be willing to fund yourself.
https://www.logos.com/communitypricing/about

The beauty of it is, it makes interesting things happen that wouldn't otherwise, and the daw will retain whatever features are created by it.

4) The most basic ability to select multiple tracks and move them together up or down.

5) Custom hardware for TDFKAS by Bandlab in future years to come.

Thank you so much for keeping my favourite DAW alive!
2018/03/29 11:08:05
CookiesnMilk
Features - Quick browsing for automation parameters like in Studio One and Ableton. As easy as turning the knob and seeing it appear in the arrangement.
- VCA Controls
- Group Tracks instead of a group folder. In this way, you have the ability to assign effects, busses etc. to the group. 
- Arranger Tracks like in Studio One and Cubase

2018/03/29 11:28:20
Daibhidh
Did an admin delete my post or did I do that myself accidentally? I'm doing this on my phone and my fingers are too big sometimes.
2018/03/29 11:29:58
Glenville
1. Better stability with the audio engine
2. Ability to change tempo of audio randomly like ableton
3. Improved windows 10 driver support for VS700c Control surfaces
4. Improved stability of midi editing in the PRV
5. Improved track colours
6. Introduction of an updated sampler with Sonar

Glenville
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account