• SONAR
  • Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] (p.5)
2018/03/29 14:28:21
stevenpanter
Thank you for this opportunity and for taking an interest in the thoughts of your customer base.

Some of my thoughts concur with what others have already said, but here goes:
  1. The staff view again. As many have already said, it is in need of a big overhaul. I think it would be well worth investigating the capabilites of other DAWs and notation software and updating it to at least the same degree of capability.
  2. Improve the integration with Mackie control surfaces and give them support for ACT. Also, for those who have an MCU and an extender, implement the ability to have for example tracks displayed on one unit while displaying busses on the other.
  3. Patch Browser - Many MIDI synths and workstations have the ability to categorize their patches so I think it would be useful for the patch browser to also support categories and even sub-categories. For example you could categorize a patch by 'Piano' and the sub-category could be 'Acoustic' or 'Electric' as appropriate.
  4. Bank change - I was using Reaktor 6 (full version, not the player) as a VST in Sonar and wanted to make an instrument for sending bank and patch changes to my Roland XV-5080. The patches were to be arranged in their respective banks and categories; kind of a replacement for the existing patch browser. The problem was that the bank changes were not sent correctly from inside Sonar. The same instrument worked fine though in Reaktor's standalone version. Perhaps this could be looked into?
Regards
Steven
2018/03/29 14:46:51
rog999
Thanks for the opportunity to input.

1. create software which will make it easy to integrate the most popular DAW controllers without having to configure them manually. 

2. If you are keeping the Matrix view and see that as the platform to invest in for this area of the product give it a radical update.

3. A specific tool for arrangement I suppose this could be part of matrix view

4. I find the GUI to pro channel quite fiddly it might be nice to open this out abit so that all the options are more visible.

All the best of luck with the new Sonar
2018/03/29 15:29:40
kzmaier
Things I use the most.
TrackView
ConsoleView
PRV
ProChannel
VST's

Things I would like the most.
1. Bug fixes, something is wrong with metronome where it stops playing, work-around toggle global fx.
2. Calibration tool to sync timing with midi, vsti's, and audio.  Making a loopback would not be a problem.
3. Better drum mapping.

Thanks for asking and keeping the dream alive!!!
2018/03/29 15:39:45
bz2838
I would like to see a Chord Track similar to the one in Cubase.  It is really helpful to guitar players who are not proficient on the piano or keyboards.  No matter what note you hit on your midi keyboard, it will be within the chord, this works with audio as well as midi.
2018/03/29 15:52:09
Thatsastrat
Please make audio engine more responsive. After working with Studio One 3 after the divorce I was really tuned into how often Sonar would lock up. Especially when looping playback for an extended period with Sonar.

A visual clip edit feature. I really enjoy the edit window in Studio One 3 . The clip edit in Sonar just does not seem as complete to me, and no visual feed back. 

Midi improvements with some better handling of VSTi in instrument rack view is welcome.

Someone else mentioned when a track is hidden it still will hold a spot on a controller, which can lead to confusion.

+1 for all other requests as they are all worthy.
2018/03/29 15:52:35
BJZ
1. Bring .cwb and track templates up to date with Aux tracks etc. and track templates need to save sends
i2. Better drum mapping interface as well as Excel export/Import
3. Introduce true song arranging along the lines of Studio One/Reaper
4. Allow folders in Console View and give collapse/expand capability
5. Folders in Folders
2018/03/29 16:25:13
ekamis
1. I'd like to copy and paste in tempo view.
2. Another nice feature: drag grid lines left or right freely to set tempo changes.
3. Maybe something like "smart tempo" in Logic? Something even better than audiosnap 😉.
As You can see I like tempo changes! 😁
2018/03/29 16:34:57
Geo524
Thanks a million, Meng. 

My requests are rather simple. (For the most part.)

1) Add a 4 band EQ to the mixer channels. A good one.
2) Please FIX Audio Snap. It never worked right. 
3) All around fixes and tweaks. TDFKAS has always been the best one out there IMO but it can be even better now.

That's it for now. If I think of anything else I'll come back and add it.

EDIT: 4) "Clean Audio Folder." Needs to be more accurate and get rid of all unwanted audio files.I know there's a workaround but to have this feature work like it was designed to work would be great. Thanks again
2018/03/29 17:03:52
michael diemer
Staff View: all that has been said, but also: Don't lose the good things it already has, especially, infinite horizontal and vertical scrolling. I mention this because of the suggestion that you might incorporate Overture to replace Staff View. If so, this scrolling capability is paramount in my workflow. It's how I edit, I don't use PRV. Also, please keep Step Record, I use that , along with direct placement of notes.

My only other suggestion at the moment is to continue to let us customize the view. I prefer the GUI of 8.5 Sonar. I like to switch between full-size pages of Staff View, Event List, Track View and Console View.

And please keep Event List! I recently tried Home Studio, and it doesn't have it. I tried using PRV for a couple of weeks, but it's just not for me. I absolutely need Event List. Just keep all the classic views of Sonar, and let me decide how to use them.

Many, Many Thanks!
2018/03/29 17:14:38
SandlinJohn
  • I will echo the request for a updates to Staff Notation - or integration with external tools. As has been mentioned, and I imagine Noel is aware, there were apparently talks with a notation developer to bring a new notation / scoring feature to what was then SONAR.
  • I think the MusicXML import/export needs to be updated with the latest standards (which might actually work along with the previous item).
  • a more universal control surface editor or better universal control surface editor for things like the VS-700, only universal (so I don't have to choose the Mackie Control Interface for my controller / synth [MX-49]).
  • Bring the MIDI support upto the latest MIDI specification just recently ratified.
  • Bouncing a MIDI track to audio doesn't line up the events accurately - that will need to be fine tuned. To clarify - if you bounce MIDI to audio, then play the audio and the MIDI together, they are slightly out of time from one another. 
Thank you for listening and giving us a place to provide feedback.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account