• SONAR
  • Bandlab Clarification Please (p.2)
2018/05/20 16:03:23
iRelevant
djwolf
Instead of getting a launch menu offering the saves I've made to my current project I'm now getting an internet redirect to download a new update for my "Cakewalk Sonar Platinum" software from Bandlab.  I understand that Bandlab is the new owner of the software but I have ignored this download for some time so let me explain the source of my resistance and perhaps someone could ease my concerns.

"A free Streamlined version"...  I paid for mine.  Nothing is free.  What begins as free ALWAYS ends up costing you and any assertion on my part that I have spent thousands on Kontakt, instruments, and processors to make this system work will be "My Problem" when Bandlab demands a return for their investment.  The word, "streamlined," used to be a good one but it has lost its innocence.  It used to mean allowing you easier and better access to what you wanted but now its code for removing options and choice to allow the developers to give us what they want to give us regardless of what we want.  I really fear that the new update will remove things I use and need rather than give me extra stuff.

I do not own a mobile phone...  Let me rephrase that.  I WILL NOT OWN A MOBILE PHONE, a tablet, or any other push technology.  I don't like the way they have ushered in yet another addiction to "the Age of the Rude, the Shallow and the Stupid" and  turned us into slaves.  I like being unavailable and away at my discretion.  I don't use "the Cloud" for anything and I have no need to "Collaborate" with anyone.  Now, I realize that many musicians that use this DAW will want many of these features and that is fine but will I still be able to use it with Kontact 5, Spitfire audio files and others, away from the internet to create MY music as I have done?

I've been burned before.  I was an owner of Logic Platinum Audio for PC and I knew this software completely.  All my music was in the Logic Audio Format and then it was bought out by Apple.  My upgrade agreement was pronounced null and void unless I spent thousands on a high-end Mac and went back to "computer school" to learn a new computer environment.

So while Bandlab promotes its new features that I have no need for, sound more like buzz words for the social engineering of conformity and are saying I wasted my money on something that's now free, I want to know what I will lose by downloading this "not quite up to scratch to charge money for" upgrade.              

I'm with you on your thinking, but as long as you live in the western world and don't plan on dying any time soon ... you will own a mobile telephone. It's becoming mandatory to function in society and for the tax man to get his cut ... it's just a question of time. And I don't see no resistance movement taking shape.

With on line activation you have already crossed the bridge of self-sufficiency, and with the company issuing your license in effect out of business ... all is lost. You can write off your monetary expenditures. The main argument against, and worst case scenario for on-line activation has happened. Your left with nothing, except your existing install.

Do you get it ? 

It's only due to the grace of the company that bought the IP from Cakewalk inc., that this forum still is active.
Check out your options in the stickies on top of this page. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  
2018/05/20 16:31:37
pwalpwal
i keep reading that as "lunch menu"
2018/05/20 18:03:37
JohanSebatianGremlin
35mm
Because Cakewalk is a high end, professional DAW available at no cost, it is likely to become the most popular, most supported DAW out there 

If that truly is the business model Bandlab is hinging their success on, they're going to fail miserably I'm afraid. 
2018/05/20 18:54:24
iRelevant
JohanSebatianGremlin
35mm
Because Cakewalk is a high end, professional DAW available at no cost, it is likely to become the most popular, most supported DAW out there 

If that truly is the business model Bandlab is hinging their success on, they're going to fail miserably I'm afraid. 

I suspect BandLab might have a slightly more sophisticated business model.
2018/05/20 21:35:03
35mm
JohanSebatianGremlin
35mm

No one knows, so shall we wait and see? Or just moan because Cakewalk got rescued - again? If you make a high-end DAW free, it is likely to dominate the market. That's not a bad bet, is it?
2018/05/20 22:00:28
JohanSebatianGremlin
35mm
JohanSebatianGremlin
35mm

No one knows, so shall we wait and see? 

You wrote as if you knew. Forgive me for assuming same. My bad.

Or just moan because Cakewalk got rescued - again?
Wasn't moaning. At all.

If you make a high-end DAW free, it is likely to dominate the market. That's not a bad bet, is it?
Its not a bet I would put any money on. Reputations die hard and Sonar has a reputation problem. Making it free isn't going to help that issue and quite possibly may only serve to reinforce it. I could be wrong and I hope I am. But I wouldn't risk any of my hard earned cash on that bet.
2018/05/20 22:28:39
35mm
JohanSebatianGremlin
35mm
JohanSebatianGremlin
35mm

No one knows, so shall we wait and see? 

You wrote as if you knew. Forgive me for assuming same. My bad.

Or just moan because Cakewalk got rescued - again?
Wasn't moaning. At all.

If you make a high-end DAW free, it is likely to dominate the market. That's not a bad bet, is it?
Its not a bet I would put any money on. Reputations die hard and Sonar has a reputation problem. Making it free isn't going to help that issue and quite possibly may only serve to reinforce it. I could be wrong and I hope I am. But I wouldn't risk any of my hard earned cash on that bet.

Yea sure, but you wouldn't want to be trying to sell it it would you? Cakewalk is still well respected, and going by the recent updates it looks like they are serious about making it even more so. They do have some bad karma to shake off though.
2018/05/20 22:49:51
Skyline_UK
Bristol_Jonesey
The only way you will lose anything is if you make the dumb move of uninstalling Platinum.
Assuming you don't do this then you'll have access to everything you enjoyed in Platinum with the new version.
Also, please remember Platinum will not get any more updates, CdB will

Just a thought: I'll probably be buying a new desktop PC in the next few months.  Will I need to install on it both my Sonar Platinum (by downloading from the Comand Centre) and Cakewalk by Bandlab?  i.e. are these two now Siamese twins for ever?  The corllary being that the Command Centre must stay active for ever as it's the only repository of all the extra stuff I bought for Platinum?
2018/05/20 22:52:42
msmcleod
Skyline_UK
Bristol_Jonesey
The only way you will lose anything is if you make the dumb move of uninstalling Platinum.
Assuming you don't do this then you'll have access to everything you enjoyed in Platinum with the new version.
Also, please remember Platinum will not get any more updates, CdB will

Just a thought: I'll probably be buying a new desktop PC in the next few months.  Will I need to install on it both my Sonar Platinum (by downloading from the Comand Centre) and Cakewalk by Bandlab?  i.e. are these two now Siamese twins for ever?  The corllary being that the Command Centre must stay active for ever as it's the only repository of all the extra stuff I bought for Platinum?

This is definitely the case for the moment, at least until BandLab has done all the migration of our accounts & products.

M.
2018/05/20 23:18:18
Daibhidh
Skyline_UK
The corllary being that the Command Centre must stay active for ever as it's the only repository of all the extra stuff I bought for Platinum?

You can install Melodyne essential and addictive drums 2 without command centre.

I do believe much of what's currently missing in Cakewalk by Bandlab will be added back for purchase for those who haven't previously purchased Platinum, but some of it might not, and if you want all of it, then yes. You'll always need both installed.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account