2018/07/06 19:48:44
razor
Hey Folks--

It's time for me to seriously think about upgrading my monitors. I used to work with a company that specializes in mulit-display configurations in a business setting, but I'm thinking of buying from them for my studio now.

The thing is, their stand configurations would make it possible for me to have 3, 21.5" monitors even though I have very limited studio space. I am completely dependent on 2 monitors, and wouldn't reduce that. I also use three monitors at my day job...but the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering what I would place on each monitor if I go with 3-- or is that overkill?

What are your thoughts on 3 monitors--I know it's a personal decision, but I wonder if you have a Cakewalk work-space layout that's customized for three monitors, and what is it?

Cheers

PS. I definitely can use three monitors for mastering in Wavelab--but I only spend a fraction of my time in WL compared to CW.
2018/07/06 23:55:28
BobF
I went with a single 43" 4K, which is the same as 4 X 1920x1080, a while back.  I will never go back.

I still have one of my 1920x1080 off to the side for ancillary use, but for the DAW it's the big, single display all the way.
2018/07/07 00:48:44
Leadfoot
I have two monitors now, and use one for track view, and the other for the console view. If I had a video card that supported three monitors, I would use the third for VST instruments, piano roll view, or plugins.
2018/07/07 00:57:15
Tim Flannagin
If you can run 3, I'd run 3. I like having one for track view, one for the console view and one for whichever vst I'm working with. I'd eventually like to move to a 4K setup like Bob's, but that's where I am currently.
2018/07/07 03:39:03
GaryMedia
I had 3 displays...track view in the center, console bus view on the left, VST's on the right. It was great. Their sizes were 28-28-28 as HD, then 24-30-24.
I now use a single 55-inch 4k which gives me the same pixels per inch as my 28's. I have an article on my website called '4K Hooray' about the calculations and the journey. You may find it helpful.
2018/07/07 04:24:52
Genghis
I went to a laptop for portability, but when I'm at home it's also connected to a 43" 4K monitor.  Best I've ever worked with, and I can still use the laptop screen for extra stuff. I'll generally have my RME Mixer up there so that I can make minor adjustments to the way it is configured and have my DAW open on the other screen with track view on top and the mixer docked at the bottom.  I was using the dual monitor thing with track view on one and mixer view on the other, but I really like this way better.
2018/07/07 04:53:22
soens

2018/07/07 16:00:13
TheMaartian
For me? One. My next monitor. Not 4K. Not as expensive. Now down to US$750. One reason I own Samsung TVs and monitors is that they're the only hardware tech company to have service/repair personnel in all 50 states. I needed to use them once. They were at my house 2 days later with the correct part. New TV working again. No charge. No need to ship it back to the vendor.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/34--cf791-wqhd-monitor-lc34f791wqnxza/

2018/07/07 18:45:52
BassDaddy
I use 3. a 22 and a 24 for track and console above the Macke which is down about 4" lower than counter on both sides. I have a 21" sitting to the right directly in front of the Akai keyboard. I use that with the keyboard and  instruments wfhen tracking. When mixing I use the 3rd for parking instruments and FX. I even have a pair of speakerson each side of the monitor so I get a good stereo field. Number 3 will rotate 90 degrees so I can have it in portrait and have thing very close the the other monitors. I would trade the 2 main ones for a 27" or a curved but would still want the keyboard monitor. My 3rd sits on the desk but the other 2 are on arms above the Mackie.  
2018/07/08 03:08:03
mettelus
I only run a second monitor with DAWs, which is generally for Console View or VSTs. I am not sure if 3 monitors would be useful, but they will definitely take up more real-estate on the desk. Track View has always been my nemesis, and I hit B, I, and D a lot when working, but realized that even then the Track View was too narrow. I ended up getting a ultrawide monitor to counter this and it has been very beneficial for me. I went with a simple 2560x1080 since my viewing distance is almost 3' away and it made no sense to buy a 4K and dumb down its resolution so that I could read it. I was specifically seeking the 21:9 ratio, and that extra width is nice for editing.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account