• SONAR
  • Big and Bright EQ Setting
2018/07/17 02:12:04
gswitz
Ok we all go back and forth on using FX Presets, but I just had happy success with one where it saved me some trouble.

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tunes/20180615_Roadhouse.html

I made this mix and the drummer didn't like it. He said it sounded dull.

So I went back and dropped Craig's Big & Bright EQ on the master bus and bounced them out again and surprise, surprise the drummer's happy!

:-)

I'll still listen to my first bounce when I put them in, but it's nice to be able to do different bounces for different band-members without much hassle.

One thing I noticed is that Craig reduces the output a 1 dB or so. The EQ setting on these song adds back about 0.3 dB so I'm having to push them up another 0.7 dB into the limiter with the gain. No problem. Just something I noticed I thought I'd share.
2018/07/21 15:56:34
kevro2000
Is Craig's Big & Bright EQ a plugin?
2018/07/21 16:41:06
Anderton
It's a Mid-Side preset for the LP EQ that's located in the "Mastering" folder (not the "Mixing" one). The treble boost looks really huge, but it's processing only the sides to widen the image and give "air." The bump around 3.5k brings out articulation and a drum's snap, while the slight dip at 500 Hz reduces potential mud. If the kick is crucial, it should make it through the highpass but if not, you can lower its frequency from 70 Hz to 50 Hz.
2018/07/21 17:21:56
kevro2000
Excellent! Thanks for the description/explanation!
2018/07/22 16:58:37
gswitz
Thanks Craig.

I find those presets really useful in a listening session with band members after mixing.

Again, i kinda like the first mix. But everyone had different ears and honestly, it doesn't take that long to drop on the lp eq and bounce all the tracks with a different setting.

I keep scenes or whatever for each bounce so i can go back and adjust.
2018/07/25 21:23:32
doment500
Good work gswitz! It's good to see fellow Cake users in the Central VA area! And as always Craig, you always come through with the presets, tips and tricks!!!
2018/07/25 22:52:23
Songmeister
I tried using it, definitely makes a difference!  Great too, but, is it a resource hog?  I added it and my project started crackling here and there...  Granted, it IS a very large project, although the processing/cpu meters show, at 15%-20% usage... What is the max people get?

Also, speaking of resources, is there a way to see how much resources a plug-in takes up?  (I probably should start a thread on that)
2018/07/26 00:20:01
gswitz
Not in cakewalk you can't see latency added by a plugin. In Mixbus you can see it.

Try pushing your interface buffers higher to avoid crackling.
2019/01/11 20:05:44
newdreamstudio
OK, I'm confused about this...
I see the Mastering Folder and the Mixing Folder... they show   .cfx files

the plugin for LP-64 EQ apparently uses .fxp files for presets....

I'm missing something simple, looking for some help!
Thanks in advance!
Rusty
2019/01/13 13:37:45
Klaus
The preset is for the (newer) LP EQ, not for the (older) LP-64 EQ.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account