2018/09/30 23:19:13
amiller
Do you guys change your buffer size after you’ve finished tracking? In other words, do you increase the buffer size when you start mixing?
2018/10/01 00:45:36
Leadfoot
I don't. I monitor through my interface as I'm tracking, so latency isn't an issue for me.
2018/10/01 01:47:29
gswitz
I do alter the buffer depending on what I'm doing.
2018/10/01 09:45:54
Kalle Rantaaho
I often do, depending on what's in the project.
2018/10/01 15:28:45
bitflipper
I keep my buffers at the maximum all the time. With my current interface, that's 2048. My previous interface could go to 16384, which was excessive so I never put it higher than 4096.

I get away with this because latency is not a concern. My process was developed long ago when computers just weren't powerful enough to bring latency down low enough, and still serves me well.

I monitor live audio input through the interface, so there's no appreciable latency.

I do not play soft synths in real time. I do, however, use a lot of soft synths and samplers and always play every part in real time on a keyboard. I manage that by using an outboard synthesizer that I can hear in real time. After recording the performance, I'll then re-route the recorded MIDI to a soft synth or sample library.
2018/10/01 17:07:19
msmcleod
bitflipper
I keep my buffers at the maximum all the time. With my current interface, that's 2048. My previous interface could go to 16384, which was excessive so I never put it higher than 4096.

I get away with this because latency is not a concern. My process was developed long ago when computers just weren't powerful enough to bring latency down low enough, and still serves me well.

I monitor live audio input through the interface, so there's no appreciable latency.

I do not play soft synths in real time. I do, however, use a lot of soft synths and samplers and always play every part in real time on a keyboard. I manage that by using an outboard synthesizer that I can hear in real time. After recording the performance, I'll then re-route the recorded MIDI to a soft synth or sample library.

Wow, I do the exact opposite! My buffers are down as far as they go, which is around 45 I think (the 1st gen Focusrite settings have really odd settings).

Only in rare cases do I need to up it due to latency.

2018/10/02 13:09:04
dwardzala
Yes,  I track at 256 which is as low as my computer can tolerate and then bump up to 1024 for mixing.
2018/10/04 21:36:09
arlen2133
My buffers are down to 128 or so..
I don't change anything when i go to mix. 
Haven't had to in a while.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account