• Hardware
  • WOW! Is the PortaStudio Back? (p.2)
2018/10/13 14:04:51
fireberd
I had a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder.  Was pretty good considering what it was.  I then went to a Fostex hard drive unit with a built in CD burner and I liked it until I found Sonar (V6) and then it was "history".  I don't think I could go back to a standalone recorder.

I have a laptop that I use with my MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid for "off site" recordings.

2018/10/13 16:07:33
mettelus
I still have a 424 sitting on a shelf under my desk as a reminder of "what was" when digital recording got frustrating. I was a bit surprised the ones online are listed for the original price. I only unpackaged it once in the last 20 years to offload tapes with it, but hobbled along on that till Cakewalk was recommended to me. That one in the OP is a monster in comparison.
2018/10/13 17:56:01
rsinger
I started with a dual cassette deck in the early to mid 80s that could dub from one side to the other. I then got a PortaTwo and later a Korg D8. I got a Roland TR 505 when they came out and not long after a Roland S-550 that had a midi sequencer. In 1990 I got my first PC and I got the Cakewalk midi sequencer. I was using the PortaTwo then and had a Tascam MTS-30 that allowed me to sync midi to tape.

I love working on a DAW 
2018/10/13 17:56:01
rsinger
I started with a dual cassette deck in the early to mid 80s that could dub from one side to the other. I then got a PortaTwo and later a Korg D8. I got a Roland TR 505 when they came out and not long after a Roland S-550 that had a midi sequencer. In 1990 I got my first PC and I got the Cakewalk midi sequencer. I was using the PortaTwo then and had a Tascam MTS-30 that allowed me to sync midi to tape.

I love working on a DAW 
2018/10/14 17:24:45
Wayfarer
rsinger

I love working on a DAW 

Interesting. I started with one of those tiny Fostex X-15 4-tracks and then went to a TEAC A3440S 4-track reel to reel. But oddly enough, I later ditched the TEAC in favor of another 4-track cassette unit by Audio Technica called the RMX64, arguably the best 4-track cassette portastudio ever made. They somehow managed to get 16k of high-end from it (and yes, that's at 20 down and 0-VU at 3 3/4 ips). Lots of bells and whistles like XLR ins, two headphone outputs, 2 effects send, channel inserts, parametric EQ, Dolby C, lighted VU meters, and an excellent tape transport. It really did sound comparable to my TEAC reel to reel. If it had 8-tracks I might still be using it today.

I also had those horrible Roland drum and bass machine units, the TB-303 and TR-606. Then I went to the TR-707 which sounded miles better, but you were still stuck with forced quantization and no way to turn it off, which made them sound very robotic, and some drum patterns couldn't be done at all such as a bolero. Then I went to an Alesis HR-16 and all was right with the world.

I miss those days, but find DAW recording much easier and way more flexible. No turning back now I guess.

Bill
2018/10/16 04:49:28
soens
BobF
Looks great, but based on the 90 Day warranty that came with my us-16x08 I would be leery.  I took a quick look and didn't see the warranty info on this new gear, so perhaps that has improved.

Not the industry best:1yr parts, 90 days labor. Heads & disc drive parts is 90 days but this unit has neither.

By comparison my Behringer counterpart has a 3 yr warranty.
2018/10/21 17:29:51
jimfogle
soens
Is this the 5th entry in the multichannel "analog mixer" interface genre?

1. Behringer UFX1604 & 1204
2. Soundcraft MTK 12 & 22
3. PreSonus StudioLive
4. Allen & Heath ZEDR16
5. Tascam Model 24

Then there is:
6. Zoom LiveTrak L-20
https://zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/live-sound-recording/livetrak-l-20

2018/11/13 22:31:28
Mannynyagain
Love this thread. I had a teac 3440 and a small teac mixer. Recorded my tunes in my attic. If you want a laugh check the video I made. All on the 3440. If you don’t like beer, you might not want to watch.
https://youtu.be/jcXqwCzdLa0
2018/11/16 20:15:34
Cactus Music
To this day I do not think I've topped any of the recordings I made on my Yamaha MD 8 mini disk 8 track. I also had the MD4 4 track and figured out how to sync them together. SO I had 12 tracks plus the MIDI sync driving an Atari and my old Roland and Korg hardware synths. But mostly I only recorded audio in those days. ALl those recordings have a very clean crisp sound. The bottom end is also nice and round.

2018/11/16 22:03:51
HighAndDry
Jim Roseberry
The latest generation digital mixers offer similar features
Behringer XR18 (about half the cost) doesn't have knobs/faders and doesn't record to SD card, but it has more extensive EQ/processing, and built in multi-channel audio interface. 

Does it's usb port have decent performance for recording?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account