2018/10/20 18:49:01
Johnbee58
I've been making music on my Lenovo i5 for 3 years now.  I've also over the years accumulated quite a few plugins, free and ones I paid for.  When I set up my current system in June 2015 it took me 16 hours to download, install & configure the relatively small amount of software I had back then.  I don't even want to think of how long it would take me now if I ever had to reformat/rebuild or replace my HDD or perhaps even the whole computer with a new one.  It would take WEEKS, for sure!

In an attempt to be pro active, I wonder if anybody here could suggest perhaps some kind of program or technique to make this process faster if (when) I have to reload from scratch.  I do religiously back up EVERYTHING on each project, even things I wouldn't have to, because I always want to have access to anything I need in case of a failure.  I also know that programs like Bandlab Assistant will help set up the DAW as will the other program managers I have such as Toontrack Program Manager, Waves Central, Native Access and others like it, but not all programs have those kind of set up managers (I wish they did.  They are a BIG help).  I also recently made an extensive list of all my plugins and programs to check off at the time.  Does anybody else have any suggestions?  I would appreciate it.
John B

2018/10/20 20:51:27
Jim Roseberry
Acronis True Image Home
I've used it hundreds of times over the past 12+ years.

2018/10/20 20:57:57
fireberd
I make periodic full disc image (all partitions) backups to a separate hard drive (currently a USB connected).  Then if something were to happen either a data corruption or an actual disc failure I can restore from the disc image.
I actually use two external USB drives and alternate the backups (and keep the last two backups).  Maybe overkill but that protects in case one of the USB drives would develop a problem. 

I use the free version of Macrium Reflect to do the disc images (backups).  From what I see on computer forums I participate in, that is the most popular disc imaging program. 

I have my Sonar projects on a separate drive and just do a disc copy from that drive to a USB connected drive to backup the projects.

The only issue is if you were to get a new PC.  You are then faced with reinstalling everything.

Macrium Reflect:
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

2018/10/21 11:25:16
Johnbee58
Thanks for the suggestions.  The OS on this PC is Windows 8.1.  I have a 1 TB portable USB hard drive that I made a bootable image (as per Windows 8 backup and recovery program) back shortly after I set up the PC (which means it doesn't have much on it).  I'm wondering if I could remake that image now for a more up to date version.  I know Windows usually allows this only once, but I also recently was able to make a backup via Windows Backup and recovery of just the OS (factory default setting) and I put that on a flash drive.  What do you think?
John B.

2018/10/21 12:33:46
msmcleod
I use clonezilla, which is also free: https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

This does full disk imaging, or full partition imaging.

This works for me as I also use it for imaging my Mac and Linux drives too. You burn an ISO image to CD (or DVD) and boot from that.

Not the most friendly user interface, but once you get used to it it's fine.
2018/10/21 13:11:51
BobF
Macrium Reflect is another option.
2018/10/21 16:51:53
Johnbee58
Hi.  I just looked on my PC and Lenovo has an Image backup system that's already on the PC and ready to use.  It will take about 2.5 hours to back everything I have up but it will be worth it.  I just have to pick a day that I can let it run for that long without tending to it.  I have a 2 TB USB Passport that I can use.

2018/10/21 17:54:39
stratman70
John
Have you looked at the free image programs?  I have been using acronis True image for many years but its not free.

But Macrium refelct is.Or like mentioned above Clonezilla.
The reason  say this is the time factor may be much less with macrium or clonezilla compared to Lenovas bu. Also I would bet you get more options with the dedicated image makers. 
Just a suggestion and it's free.
2018/10/21 19:23:35
Johnbee58
stratman70
John
Have you looked at the free image programs?  I have been using acronis True image for many years but its not free.

But Macrium refelct is.Or like mentioned above Clonezilla.
The reason  say this is the time factor may be much less with macrium or clonezilla compared to Lenovas bu. Also I would bet you get more options with the dedicated image makers. 
Just a suggestion and it's free.

Yeah, I guess it's worth looking into.  Couldn't hurt.  Thanks!

JB
2018/10/21 20:06:15
fireberd
I used to use Acronis but now use Macrium, like most of the techies on computer forums I visit. 
Macrium also has an (mostly) automated procedure to create a WinPE bootable "rescue disc" media (USB flash drive is fastest) in case its needed.  

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account