• Computers
  • Has Anyone Tried / Tested A Gigabyte Motherboard With Built-In Creative Audio?
2018/11/09 03:11:19
jimfogle
I'm in the research phase of figuring out what components I'd like to use if I ever have the opportunity to build, or have built for me, a new computer system.  My "dream cpu" would be use an 8th or 9th generation Intel I7 cpu, 16 GB of DDR4, Slot M2 or SSD main drive, 1 or 2 TB secondary drive, 500W or more power supply in a mid size tower capable of protecting an ATX or EATX size motherboard.

I prefer Gigabyte motherboards and Creative over Realtek.  Any thoughts about a motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 9?  https://www.gigabyte.com/...70X-Gaming-9-rev-10#kf
2018/11/10 01:46:58
abacab
I'd go for a cheap Focusrite USB audio interface, or even splurge on a bottom of the line Behringer, before considering using an on-board PC audio chip. Especially considering you are looking at an i7, 16GB DDR4 RAM, SSD, etc.

Why compromise on your audio output???

But that's just my opinion...
2018/11/10 03:11:37
msmcleod
abacab
I'd go for a cheap Focusrite USB audio interface, or even splurge on a bottom of the line Behringer, before considering using an on-board PC audio chip. Especially considering you are looking at an i7, 16GB DDR4 RAM, SSD, etc.

Why compromise on your audio output???

But that's just my opinion...

+1 to this.

I would add however, for line level signals the Behringer interfaces are absolutely fine.

If you're going to be using a mic though, I'd consider the Focusrite. The Behringer Mic Pre's, whilst clean, sound really harsh IMHO.

2018/11/10 11:46:04
fireberd
I agree with the others, PC sound devices, regardless of brand, are poor compared to a separate recording interface unit.  Both in Signal to noise, latency, input levels (PC sound cards require high input levels, nearly line level).  They do not have XLR inputs and do not have phantom power if needed.   

PC sound is designed for consumer uses, not recording. 

2018/11/10 21:01:30
abacab
Just to add that a pro audio interface is important even if you are NOT recording external instruments or microphones.  The sound quality of dedicated DACs https://en.wikipedia.org/...al-to-analog_converter will always deliver superior audio to your monitors, even if you are working completely "in the box" with virtual instruments.
2018/11/11 03:38:46
jimfogle
I will be working mostly in the box.  What little I do record I use an external digital recorder and then import the audio wave files into my computer.  I have a USB powered audio interface should I decide to use the computer for recording.

My understanding is Burr-Brown is well known as manufacturing pretty good DACs.  The motherboard I'm looking at also has sockets so the DACs and headphone op-amps can be easily replaced as well as jump jacks to set a variety of headphone amplifier bias levels.  The audio section has ground plane isolation from the rest of the motherboard as well as a separate audio section power supply connection.

abacab, I'm not sure what you mean by the term "dedicated DAC".  By definition, any DAC is dedicated to converting digital data into an analog waveform.  Can you elaborate, please?
2018/11/11 03:38:46
jimfogle
I will be working mostly in the box.  What little I do record I use an external digital recorder and then import the audio wave files into my computer.  I have a USB powered audio interface should I decide to use the computer for recording.

My understanding is Burr-Brown is well known as manufacturing pretty good DACs.  The motherboard I'm looking at also has sockets so the DACs and headphone op-amps can be easily replaced as well as jump jacks to set a variety of headphone amplifier bias levels.  The audio section has ground plane isolation from the rest of the motherboard as well as a separate audio section power supply connection.

abacab, I'm not sure what you mean by the term "dedicated DAC".  By definition, any DAC is dedicated to converting digital data into an analog waveform.  Can you elaborate, please?
2018/11/11 04:56:06
abacab
I was only using the term "dedicated" in the context of high end audio output from the PC.  Sure, the consumer grade DACs supplied on motherboards are fine for games or watching videos, but they are built to a cost point that amounts to pennies in the overall build cost of the motherboard.  They are not intended for audiophiles or pro audio users.

It seems reasonable to me to spend at least as much, or more, on an audio interface as I would invest in a motherboard.  I am a hobbyist, and I work mostly in the box myself these days, having retired most of my external  hardware to the storage closet.  I bought an external audio interface over 10 years ago, and it still works fine.  I consider that one of the best computer investments I have made, and it has served me over the life of 3 computers. 

In addition, if you work with virtual instruments, the lower latency of the factory ASIO drivers used with pro audio interfaces should give you a more realistic experience while playing them.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
2018/11/12 02:37:18
jimfogle
abacab,

Thank you specifically, and firebird and msmcleod for your response(s).  I try not to ask for advice too much in this forum but highly value the advice provided when I do ask.

My background is as a technical support engineer for a company that makes computer based point of sale (pos) systems so I'm pretty familiar with the components of a computer and the need at times to use external parts because there are some jobs better handled outside "the box".  However, I've not kept up with pc component changes as I once did so I'm playing catch up.

Again, your advice is valued and I thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.
2018/11/12 13:37:51
Jim Roseberry
Onboard audio has gotten better over the years... but it's nowhere near the level of a dedicated audio interface.
It's hard to get the noise floor super low (better than about -100dB)... when the converters are in-the-box.
Then there's the ASIO driver... and the audio interface's safety-buffer.
You can run the Presonus Quantum at 96k with 1ms total round-trip latency... and it's rock-solid.
Onboard audio will use a large safety-buffer (much higher round-trip latency), doesn't have balanced I/O, will have much higher noise-floor, and the performance (especially as smaller buffer sizes) won't be on-par with a dedicated audio interface. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account