• Computers
  • Has Anyone Tried / Tested A Gigabyte Motherboard With Built-In Creative Audio? (p.2)
2018/11/12 14:03:18
TheMaartian
At one time, I disabled my motherboard Realtek audio via the BIOS, and ran with just my Tascam audio interface.

I regretted that decision almost daily, so I reenabled the MB audio chip.

Why?

There a very few true multi-client ASIO drivers out there. Where I ran into the most trouble was with training videos. When the training video was playing, it took exclusive use of the Tascam, so I couldn't have my DAW loaded to work along with the training video.

So, are the Creative drivers better than the Realtek drivers on the latest Win10?
2018/11/12 17:23:49
Jim Roseberry
Control Panel>Sound
  • Select the desired Default Playback Device
  • Go to it's Properties>Advanced and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".
2018/11/13 02:22:58
abacab
I have disabled my onboard Realtek HD audio in my BIOS and use only my external audio interface through my monitors for all audio, both Windows and ASIO.  No issues here.

I agree with Jim Roseberry's advice, and I would also suggest using the same sampling rate for the Windows audio and your DAW projects if you choose to use only one sound system and want to be able to stream training videos and use your DAW at the same time.  It seems that some interfaces, including mine, can only run only one sampling rate at a time and cannot switch back and forth on the fly.
2018/11/13 14:06:26
TheMaartian
Jim Roseberry
Control Panel>Sound
  • Go to it's Properties>Advanced and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Confused. What does this have to do with the lack of multi-client support? This seems likely to make things worse.
2018/11/13 15:26:50
kitekrazy1
 This many not apply to this thread but so often I see people building a great system only to go budget on an audio device.
 I still use onboard audio for non DAW stuff.  I've never had issues having a audio device and onboard sound. 

2018/11/13 18:25:28
abacab
TheMaartian
Jim Roseberry
Control Panel>Sound

Confused. What does this have to do with the lack of multi-client support? This seems likely to make things worse.

Training videos (via YouTube, or your web browser) use Windows audio, regardless of the interface you are using.  They do not access ASIO, even if your interface supports that.  So multi-client ASIO is not needed to run a web browser and a DAW concurrently.

If you are using more than one DAW or music app that is configured to use ASIO, only one of them can access ASIO at a time.

I use the settings above on my Windows audio, and have no conflicts whatsoever between my ASIO DAW and my web browser audio.
2018/11/14 02:49:07
husker
I might be missing something, but why not use both?  That is what I do - dedicated audio interface for Daw use, and the built-in sound attached to another set of speakers for all other audio.

Is only having one set of monitors/speakers  the reason to use a dedicated audio interface for everything? 
2018/11/14 04:21:40
abacab
husker

Is only having one set of monitors/speakers  the reason to use a dedicated audio interface for everything? 

Yes, reduces clutter on the workstation.  But both methods work just fine. 
2018/11/14 09:36:20
msmcleod
I put both my on board Realtek output and my Focusrite 18i20 output through a Mackie Big Knob passive.

That way I can swap between them easily.

It does mean that I can't listen to both at the same time, but I don't find this an issue. Even if I'm listening to a tutorial video on the realtek, I'll usually pause it if I need to try anything out in the DAW.
2018/11/14 13:49:52
Jim Roseberry
TheMaartian

How would this setting make things "worse"?   
Multi-client ASIO has zero to do with this setting.
This is a Windows Sound setting that keeps an individual application from having exclusive control over the audio interface.
It's recommended by many audio interface manufacturers including Presonus.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account