• Computers
  • Windows 10 activation bug - make sure you backup!
2018/11/09 10:19:57
msmcleod
Yesterday I fell foul of this bug:

https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-activation-bug-523696.shtml

Windows suddenly said it was not activated, and I actually had a Windows 10 Home license with Windows 10 Pro installed.

All I had done, was add a "K" drive mapping, so that my Kontakt library path could be the same between my desktop and laptop. However, it looks like Windows interpreted this as a major hardware change and deactivated my system... then the bug stopped me from re-activating, with the nonsense message about Windows 10 Home.

Luckily my previous backup was on Nov 4th, so I re-imaged my drive and got it working again.

The post above doesn't mention major hardware changes as being the cause of this bug, so I guess it's possible that this could happen for other reasons. It does say that it is happening to a lot of people though. I was waiting on the phone to Microsoft for around 20 mins, before eventually deciding to give up and re-image my drive.

So, if you've got a way of backing up an image of your drives - now's the time to do it!

2018/11/11 16:54:36
stratman70
That's interesting...Know what my first thought was? Microsoft did this "by design" so they could root out the pirated $9.99 thru $49.99 copies of windows 10 that have been sold around the world. 
I know that's not it, but slick idea.

I do have recent images also....But I also have a legal $199.00 version of Win 10 Pro direct from Microsoft...

Thanks for posting that article..................
2018/11/11 18:16:03
fireberd
There is a post on the tenforums.com about a Microsoft problem with some activations.
See if this applies to you.
https://www.tenforums.com...kenly-deactivated.html
2018/11/12 13:24:50
Jim Roseberry
Recently bumped into this...
Just reentered the product key... and Win10 Pro activated just fine.
2018/11/12 15:52:43
msmcleod
Jim Roseberry

Unfortunately mine was an upgrade from Win 7 Pro, so it's using a digital license rather than a product key.

I'm just glad I had a recent image of my hard disk I could restore.
2018/11/12 17:20:48
Jim Roseberry
+1
Backup Image File is important... (protection against many different issues)
2018/11/13 15:31:34
kitekrazy1
Jim Roseberry

This is what is confusing about W10.  Those of us from the free upgrades have a product ID. Is this the same?
2018/11/13 18:14:35
abacab
Windows 10 Product ID and Product Key

https://answers.microsoft...4e40-a7d7-d8402ad194ea

The above thread applies if you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, or bought a new system with Windows pre-installed.

If you buy a new copy of Windows, you should receive a product key to activate it with.
2018/11/14 14:03:11
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, The copy I had to "reactivate" a few days back was an upgrade to Win10 from Win8.1.
It was a clean install... but the install key from Win8.1 *is* the install key for Win10.
In this particular case, there was no change in hardware, the "Windows is not activated" notification just popped-up.
I re-entered the product key and Win10 activated without issue.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account