• Hardware
  • Decent USB Microphones for recording Guitar and Vocals (p.2)
2018/11/14 11:12:18
msmcleod
I've got the Behringer C1, and wouldn't recommend it. It claims to be a large diaphragm, but in actual fact it's an electret condenser. The Samson C1 is a better choice at this price range.

A lot of the cheap mics are pretty hit & miss. Sometimes you get a good one, but more often than not you get a dud.

Personally though, I'd look at the Rode NT1A (for a bright top end) or Rode NT1 (flatter response), or if they're not within your budget maybe the AKG P120.

In saying that, don't write off a good dynamic mic. On Peter Gabriel's 4th album, he recorded all of his vocals on a Shure SM57. For my own vocals, I still find I get best results from a Shure SM58 (though I suspect a SM7B would be even better).

As a general rule, I'd say you should be looking to pay no less than €100 - €120. Anything lower than that could be a gamble, unless it's a reputable brand.

2018/11/14 11:34:27
burgerproduction
Thank you very much for your help.
What do you think of the Audio Technica AT2020? It usually retails at just under €100
2018/11/14 12:38:42
msmcleod
burgerproduction
Thank you very much for your help.
What do you think of the Audio Technica AT2020? It usually retails at just under €100

The reviews look pretty good.

To be honest, try and see if there's a local music shop that will let you try some mics out first, and take notes about what you like / don't like. Even try out some mics way out of your price range so you've got a good idea of what is out there, and what sound suits you best.

Failing that, you could try hiring some to try them out with your own rig.

After trying some out, I'd take a look at the frequency responses for mics you're considering at http://recordinghacks.com/microphones , and compare it to a mic you already have and/or one you liked when trying it out. Whilst this isn't a perfect way of comparing mics, it will at least give you some idea as to what type of mic you're getting - i.e. is the top end emphasised, does it have a high-mid presence boost etc.

2018/11/14 14:11:04
Jim Roseberry
I'd highly recommend going to a local music store and trying out several large diaphragm condenser mics.
That way... you can compare side-by-side... and know what you're getting.

"Classic" mics (C414, SM57, RE20, MD421, SM7b, etc) are easier to buy "unseen" because they're so well known.
"Classics" are classic for a reason... they're proven performers.
2018/11/15 09:42:58
burgerproduction
msmcleod
In saying that, don't write off a good dynamic mic. ... I still find I get best results from a Shure SM58 (though I suspect a SM7B would be even better).

I totally agree. In fact I've just dug out an old AKG D770 that I bought years ago as a gigging mic/back up mic, and I have to say I'm enjoying it for vocals.  It's pretty balanced and distortion free, and you can do pretty much anything you want with the sound post production. I'd never really given it a chance before...
I'd still like a large diaphram mic though for those intimate husky tracks.
2018/12/11 14:18:12
burgerproduction
A little update to an old thread.
In a fit of folly, I bought the Behringer C1, because it only cost €26, and I have to say, I'm quite favourably impressed with the quality for the price. It's quiet - I didn't realize till I started using it just how noisy my old Nova had been getting. I was editing my tracks around the noise level of the mic. The C1 is very 'bright' but I find that favours my vocals, so I'm sure I'll find a place for it somewhere in my music.

On a stranger note: I had been waiting for an AT2020 mic to go on offer as I'd heard favourable things from people about Audio Technica and negative things about Rodes NT1. I wasn't able to try any mics out (our local store only stocks Samson mic and they don't let you test them...huh!) so I decided that if I was an AT2020 going cheap, I'd take the plunge. It came up on Amazon Warehouse deals for €60. That's cheap I though for something that retails at €100 usually, so I decided to get it on an impulse and send it back if it was too damaged.

Well! This morning a battered AT2020 box was delivered by Amazon ( I was ready to refuse the package. Looked like it had been sat on by an elephant ) opened the box and found....the AT2020 USB+ instead.  That's €60 for a €150 mic....ok, so the usb lead was missing (I've got a ton of them) but all the rest was there, and I can't hook it up to me Edirol or preamp...but €60 was pretty good right? Then I started reading the internet posts about incompatibility with Windows 10.  Low sound / high noise....discontinued...oh ****! I thought. I've been had.
Got home, plugged it in, loaded up Bandlab....works a treat.  If I want to monitor while recording, I have to use the mic headphone out, but if I'm happy to record without hearing my voice over the mix (such as I am) I can use WASAPI drivers (no ASIO unfortunately).  At this point, I'm going to test drive this sucker for the next week and decide if I need to send it back or not, but for now I'd say I lucked out.  €60, I repeat.

Edit: I contacted Amazon to complain about the missing cable and stand...they gave me back nearly 20 bucks....So, that's an AT2020 USB+ for under 50 euro.  You can't complain about that.

Now, hopefully I can pick up a Behringer B2 for cheap after Christmas....I want it just for the metal box.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account