• Computers
  • what is the word on optane memory
2018/11/16 21:02:37
HighAndDry
optane memory.  Does it really work?
2018/11/16 22:45:10
slartabartfast
It is essentially a high speed cache for your boot drive. The idea is to transfer data to the memory and access it from there instead of from your spinning hard drive. An SSD will not benefit much, since it is already fast access storage, and only the boot partition will benefit at all in a multipartition/drive system, and it will not work on a RAID volume.  So like any caching technology performance depends on what you are doing with the cache data. Boots. reads and searches are likely to benefit the most, writes not so much. The performance benefit can be dramatic for some activities, where the data is already resident in the cache, so using it to speed bootup is likely to be impressive. If your only concern is to speed up your boot process, it is cheaper than an SSD. It may require you to clean install your OS and UEFI/BIOS if it is not already present when you installed/initialized these, and of course it only works with compatible MB and Cpu.
2018/11/17 00:46:09
HighAndDry
Ok thanks a lot.  So it will be of little benefit for audio performance?
2018/11/17 19:43:55
slartabartfast
The best way to improve audio performance is to find out if you have performance that is too slow. Does your system stutter or crash with the load you will reasonably demand? If not, then nothing will improve performance in any useful degree. If it does, then you need to try to track down where the problem lies. If it is with overloading the processor, then nothing that speeds up disk access is likely to help. If it is a problem writing to a dedicated audio data drive, then you are probably better off replacing that drive with something faster. If you are using a single partition on a single drive for everything, then cache memory might help, or it might be better to add another drive.
2018/11/17 21:09:25
DaGeek
I have Optane memory that came with my motherboard. When first launched, Optane only worked with the boot drive but that is not true anymore with the latest software and will now work with data drives and even SSD. It will speed up a hard drive dramatically with speeds egual to or greater than a SSD. My first module went belly up and had it replaced under warranty and has been solid ever since. It can be a pain to configure at first though. I use it on my samples drive.  
2018/11/18 00:27:45
slartabartfast
DaGeek's info is more current than me. But to be clear, you are still going to have to choose a single drive for the optane module to cache. This would be a big deal if you already have an SSD as your boot drive, and want to use a larger spinner as a secondary drive to get better performance.
2018/11/19 16:08:53
Jim Roseberry
In general, caching is more beneficial when using many small files.
Using large/contiguous files (audio/video), caching is of much less benefit.
2018/11/19 16:10:44
Jim Roseberry
Ever wonder what Apple's "Fusion" drive is...
It's a Seagate conventional HD... with a small Optane cache.

2018/11/19 16:12:28
Jim Roseberry
If you need speed, best to get it at the source (the drive itself - not cache).

2018/11/19 21:16:39
HighAndDry
Jim Roseberry
If you need speed, best to get it at the source (the drive itself - not cache).

If I am understanding this, It isn't actually replacing ram per se, but hard drive access ?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account