• Computers
  • HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>Win 10 Pro: Phase 1 Initialization Failed SOLVED but curious?
2018/11/21 15:49:58
stratman70
so I am logged in with my laptop trying to fix my daw. Got the above message.
repair my laptop and system restore bothfail without even trying.
I used Gpart disk to boot and investigate. I am testing memory now.
Evo samsung 850 os drive smart test gpart says no issues. 
Any ideas I can try? Never ever ran into this error before. thanks guys
2018/11/21 16:10:29
stratman70
sfc /scannow trying it in safe mode now. repair just does not work so far

couldn't get sfc pAST 37% BEFORE. IN SAFE MODE IT IS UP TO 80% ALREADY-SORRY ABOUT CAPS, NOT USED TO MY LAPTOP
2018/11/21 16:18:24
stratman70
well, safe mode sfc with win 10 pro disk in dvd drive completed ,  but now pc boots fine?
I did not see it access the win 10 disk for any files but it boots. Guess I will run all sorts of test. Something happened and I need to fnd out what. or not?
2018/11/21 22:20:13
abacab
I understand that sfc will restore missing or corrupted Windows system files.  https://support.microsoft...ng-or-corrupted-system

How you got there, I cannot guess.  Just be happy that it got fixed! 
2018/11/21 22:22:46
abacab
Windows keeps a cached copy of protected system files in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache that it can restore from if necessary.

2018/11/22 01:49:25
stratman70
I must have just missed it be cause that has to be what happened. I tried sfc  first, stuck art 37% 2X.
But I did not have the W10 pro dvd loaded. 
Then in Safe mode, using sfc in admin prompt with the win 10 dvd in it went to 100% and all was well.

I know I shouldn't care why. but I kind of like to know if it was something I did. I guess I will never know.
when I first got the dreaded message and went into the continuous reboot loop I tried the Gpart usb drive I made. 
It is an amazing tool. When I looked at the physical drives they checked out as fine. That immediately gave me hope.
Because I had thought that the new (well new to me) Samsung Evo 850  ssd OS drive had died.
Also did a virus scan with Gpart ...just a great tool.....

Oh well, So I will never know......................I have backups, images, etc, in multitude but couldn't be sure what it was. 
2018/11/22 05:16:08
abacab
I know.  Windows can occasionally do some weird sh*t. 

Good reason to do image backups.

For example, just last weekend I opened regedit to check something, and got a blue screen crash before regedit even opened.  Then Windows 10 attempted to go into recovery mode, but couldn't complete that.  Couldn't boot, and kept getting an error.

So I booted from the Windows 10 recovery USB, and loaded the last restore point.  That worked and I was booting again, but just to be safe I restored a full system image that I had made the day before.

All is well that ends well, I suppose.  But I am still scratching my head on that one, LOL! 
2018/11/22 11:17:33
fireberd
Things can happen whether self inflicted inadvertently, hardware glitch, software glitch.  The reason there are recovery options (including full drive disc image backups) - not for IF they are ever needed but for WHEN they are needed.  
2018/11/24 02:25:45
tecknot
I had the same problem some time ago.  After several attempts at fixing and finding the source, I just restored a backup via Acronis.  That was also a pain because my last backup was corrupted and tried in vain to fix that.  So I had to use the next available version and lost a few things as it goes.

Kind regards,

tecknot
2018/11/24 15:53:42
abacab
I take full scheduled images every day and every week, retaining 2 copies of each.  I take the daily and weekly images on different external drives in case of physical loss or failure.  The weeklies are physically locked up separate from the computer.

If I needed to restore my system, and my most recent image is corrupted, hopefully I will only need to go back to two days prior to recover my computer.  If that file is also no good, and I have to use the other backup drive, I might lose up to a week.

My primary backup software is Macrium Reflect, but about once a month I also make a full image with the native Windows image tool. 

The Windows image file can always be restored by booting with the Windows system repair thumb drive.  That is a contingency plan just in case Macrium ever developed a corruption issue and all my Macrium backups were bad, or for some reason the Macrium recovery environment was unbootable.  That hasn't happened to me yet, but got that base covered too! 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account