• Software
  • Microsoft Edge is dead! Hoorah!
2018/12/04 22:42:33
TheMaartian
I read an article on the German online tech site Chip.de about MS killing Edge, or more specifically, its rendering engine EdgeHTML. It's replacement (could be named Edge) will be based on the Chromium open-source project, just like Chrome, Opera and a couple of others (not Firefox...yet). It could very likely ship with the Win10 1903 update in April.

Edge never got above 5% usage share. According to the metrics firm, Edge was often used only once. To download Chrome or Firefox. 
2018/12/04 23:03:20
Glyn Barnes
I am one of the 5%, Edge is my favourite browser, I will use Firefox for the odd compatability issue. I uninstall Chrome if some malware or the grandkids install it on any of my computers. I just don't like it, like I don't like onions.
2018/12/04 23:30:52
ØSkald
Glyn Barnes
I am one of the 5%, Edge is my favourite browser, I will use Firefox for the odd compatability issue. I uninstall Chrome if some malware or the grandkids install it on any of my computers. I just don't like it, like I don't like onions.

I am one of the 5% too. Even use it on my Android phone.
2018/12/04 23:46:16
kitekrazy1
I sure some still use IE.  I'm not a fan of the feature less browers.   I still like my menus which Chrome ditched.  With the newer Firefox so many great extensions like DownThemAll no longer work and there is no replacement. Roboform doesn't work as well in Firefox.  I guess if you miss the old Firefox extensions then you can use Seamonkey.
2018/12/05 03:02:20
Magic Russ
Most of my IE/edge usage is at work, because a lot of places I have worked have dictated support of MS browsers.  When I do development projects at home, I usually don't bother to change Visual Studio's browser option so I guess I use edge there too.
2018/12/05 06:42:32
mettelus
TheMaartian
Edge was often used only once. To download Chrome or Firefox. 

I was one of those users (and cannot remember the experience enough to even talk about it)
2018/12/05 10:24:16
pwalpwal
i've been using edge for netflix (my usual browser is waterfox) maybe i should install the netflix app (win10) as it won't play in wf without drm enabled...
2018/12/05 11:12:32
burgerproduction
I use Edge on my Windows phone (yes, I still have a windows phone) and on my laptop (Win10).  Some sites only really work well with Edge while some work better with Chrome.
I agree with Glyn Barnes, I find Chrome acts up - it's like bloatware. On older systems it renders internet browsing as enjoyable as the early days of dial-up services. I uninstall all add-ons & extensions as they make life hell.
One thing that is really annoying now is that, because I live in Europe, every time I open a US site I have to accept cookies and terms and conditions (which I never read) leading to tons of spam and what not. Something to do with the new European internet law.
2018/12/05 13:22:38
pwalpwal

2018/12/05 16:06:12
bitflipper
Microsoft has a browser? Gosh, I learn something new every day.

I migrated from IE to Firefox long ago, but eventually moved to Chrome during a particularly bad time for Firefox when a series of bad releases had made it next to impossible to use. It's much better now, and I still use it when I want to bring up a second browser on a different screen.

There was also a great download manager for FF that I used to use for big downloads, until FF broke it. I should check if it works again, because it was very helpful for multi-gigabyte sample library downloads (faster, and could resume failed downloads).

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account