• Software
  • Microsoft Edge is dead! Hoorah! (p.3)
2018/12/12 13:52:24
pwalpwal
msmcleod
dubdisciple
I do find it unsettling that it is pushing chrome closer to monopoly. Never cared for edge but monopolies are never good.

I tend to agree, but companies should at least support the current standards, instead of constantly re-inventing their own.

Anyone who has done any web development curses Microsoft on a daily basis for having to constantly find workarounds for their browsers because they behave differently to Firefox/Chrome.

use firefox ffs -it's up to date on all the latest gubbins, is generally standards compliant (more than the other browsers) and it 's open source, so you can literally go and have a look at the code to see what it's doing... all the others are scraping your data (chrome was recently caught logging people into everything it could, without permission!)

2018/12/13 17:06:43
bitflipper
msmcleod
...companies should at least support the current standards, instead of constantly re-inventing their own.

Anyone who has done any web development curses Microsoft on a daily basis for having to constantly find workarounds for their browsers because they behave differently to Firefox/Chrome.

That applies to anyone who has done any kind of development in the Microsoft universe.

My software integrates with Word and Excel, and my code is littered with "if this version, do it this way, else do it another way" switches. I can't run every version of Office ever released on my testbeds, so those code branches are often put there in response to users encountering unforeseen problems.

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
None, they just change the standard to "dark".
2018/12/13 17:15:13
pwalpwal
bitflipper

so true... back in the mid-90s ms had no interest whatsoever in the internet, it was netscape navigator that ruled the roost

the deliberate non-compliance is, i think, a misjudged business strategy
2018/12/13 17:16:49
TheMaartian
pwalpwal
bitflipper

so true... back in the mid-90s ms had no interest whatsoever in the internet, it was netscape navigator that ruled the roost

the deliberate non-compliance is, i think, a misjudged business strategy

Anyone remember IBM's PS/2? I had one. Never bought a second.
2018/12/14 06:55:36
Grem
pwalpwal

[it was netscape navigator that ruled the roost

I forgot about Navigator!!
2018/12/14 08:41:39
elsongs
MS should name their new browser, "Bono."  

I actually use Edge on my DAW PC (using it right now, I just don't want a lot of extra non-music software on this computer), however, I use Chrome on my Mac laptop and Android phone and on my PC at work.

2018/12/14 15:23:10
Soundwise
pwalpwal
use firefox ffs -it's up to date on all the latest gubbins, is generally standards compliant (more than the other browsers) and it 's open source, so you can literally go and have a look at the code to see what it's doing... all the others are scraping your data (chrome was recently caught logging people into everything it could, without permission!) 

I agree! FF is fast and stable, it renders pages properly (unlike the crome based browsers, which inherit the same problem with the text rendering, for example).
2018/12/16 01:05:08
abacab
Grem
pwalpwal

[it was netscape navigator that ruled the roost

I forgot about Navigator!!

If you still have a warm spot for Navigator, take a look at SeaMonkey! The appearance is definitely a throwback.  I used Netscape Navigator as my go-to back in the days!

The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkey all-in-one internet application suite (see below). Such a software suite was previously made popular by Netscape and Mozilla, and the SeaMonkey project continues to develop and deliver high-quality updates to this concept. Containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client with an included web feed reader, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users.

Under the hood, SeaMonkey uses much of the same Mozilla source code which powers such successful siblings as Firefox and Thunderbird. Legal backing is provided by the Mozilla Foundation.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

2018/12/16 08:43:37
Grem
Thanks abacab, will check that out. I am back to using FF.
2018/12/16 18:07:11
TheMaartian
I just tried FF. Every site I visited was just a blank screen. Checked the web. Nothing helped. Uninstalled.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account