2018/12/05 16:40:16
jude77
Hey Guys:

It's time to get new headphones.  I'd prefer to keep it under $300, but you know . . . .  Tell me what you prefer (and if you have the time, why you like them).

Thanks!
2018/12/05 17:52:05
sven450
I just went through this.  I am coming from some oldish Audio Technica m40s. I also have the venerable Sony MDR 7506. I just purchased some Beyerdynamic 880 pros.  DAMN.  What a difference.  Not only is the quality of the sound better (much more low end without being hyped along with beautifully clear mids and highs), but the semi open design/frequency response really opened up my mixes.  Big soundstage, and everything is in its place perfectly. Much less "in your face" if that makes sense.  To top it all off, the build quality is amazing. They are very sturdy and very comfortable.  Doing some quick A - B comparisons, I couldn't believe I lasted as long as I did with the ATs.  They were all midrange by comparison.

The one small detriment to the 880s is that they have a bit of a spike at around 7K.  I didn't seem overt to me.  However, I use Sonarworks for monitor/room correction, and Sonarworks has a ton of premade profiles for popular headphones as well.  The 880 was in there, so I kicked it on and their profile brings down the 7K to match the rest of the otherwise flat profile.

Happy shopping.  Hope this helps.
2018/12/05 18:28:36
batsbrew
save up more dough.
then get something.

that price range isn't quite high enough to get into a really good set.

you didn't specify if you are using the headphones for tracking,
or for mixing.

big difference.

also, didn't specify if you like open back or closed back......

big difference.

knowing those things, then folks could give you a good reference.

there are some good selections in the 300-500$ range,
i like the Sennheiser HD 650's
2018/12/05 19:24:24
davdud101
Good advice from batsbrew. 
OP, do gird yourself for a barrage of comments saying to never mix with headphones 

I went on Massdrop and got the Hifiman HE-4XX for $170. Great sounding planar-magnetic, open-back cans. I don't do a lot of polish-work these days, more of demos and gumming around in the studio on bass guitar and various synths, so for stuff like that, I have no issue using a pair of good cans rather than bothering everyone in my house with the monitors. Sound-wise, very balanced, just good, even bass, treble, and mids all the way through, of course EQ'able to taste.
The build quality is also great in my opinion, very solid and on the heavy side, something that's very important to me when buying gear like this, not much skimping on material quality.

I also just love giant headphones! 

Not necessarily condoning them for mixing use, but I do like me some headphones/IEMs.
2018/12/05 20:20:20
Wayfarer
Unless you're in a situation where you absolutely have to do everything in the headphones, then I don't think accuracy is really that important. Nothing will sound the same as your studio monitors anyway, and you'll still find yourself doing all kinds of test recordings to see how things sound over actual monitors. I've got an expensive set of AKG K240DF cans that I absolutely hate. Too much high-end, not enough lows. I think they cost around $300 25-years ago. I've also got some cheaper AKG K240 Studio Monitor phones, which sound much better but still aren't accurate and also have brittle highs. The best cans I ever had was a $35 set of Radio Shacks. I imagine they were made by Koss. Honestly, they sounded great, were lightweight, and were comfortable. They were quite good enough for tracking. Wish I still had them.

Bill
2018/12/05 20:30:23
jude77
batsbrew
or for mixing.

Batsbrew: good questions there.  I would use them mostly for tracking, almost never for mixing.  I'm guessing for tracking you'd want closed back?
2018/12/05 22:32:38
batsbrew
jude77
batsbrew
or for mixing.

Batsbrew: good questions there.  I would use them mostly for tracking, almost never for mixing.  I'm guessing for tracking you'd want closed back?

yep, closed back for tracking.

tracking headphones, don't really matter as much, you will never do detailed editing with those anyway...

i use akg ear buds for tracking. simple, sound full range, totally quiet in the room.

i've used the Grado Prestige Series SR80i, and really liked those.
also, some higher end Ultrasones.

https://www.wirerealm.com...closed-back-headphones
https://www.gearank.com/g...closed-back-headphones
2018/12/07 16:56:18
jude77
Thanks BB!
2018/12/07 17:47:14
TheMaartian
sven450
I just went through this.  I am coming from some oldish Audio Technica m40s. I also have the venerable Sony MDR 7506. I just purchased some Beyerdynamic 880 pros.  DAMN.  What a difference.  Not only is the quality of the sound better (much more low end without being hyped along with beautifully clear mids and highs), but the semi open design/frequency response really opened up my mixes.  Big soundstage, and everything is in its place perfectly. Much less "in your face" if that makes sense.  To top it all off, the build quality is amazing. They are very sturdy and very comfortable.  Doing some quick A - B comparisons, I couldn't believe I lasted as long as I did with the ATs.  They were all midrange by comparison.

The one small detriment to the 880s is that they have a bit of a spike at around 7K.  I didn't seem overt to me.  However, I use Sonarworks for monitor/room correction, and Sonarworks has a ton of premade profiles for popular headphones as well.  The 880 was in there, so I kicked it on and their profile brings down the 7K to match the rest of the otherwise flat profile.

Happy shopping.  Hope this helps.

+1 for the 880 Pro cans. Love mine.

I have some less expensive Sennheiser HD280 cans if I need closed back, or to use with my phone. My 880s are 250 ohms, too much for little phone amps.

Good to know about the peak at 7K.
2018/12/07 19:24:09
thornton
Akg k240 sounds great I use them all the timr. No briddle high end(unless it's in the music being mixed) no ear fatigue sound natural to me. Great low end response. My suggestion is to go to your local zmusic store play your mix and your favorite artist to hear what you like. All ears are different.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account