• SONAR
  • Another BandLab revived brand, Harmony
2018/12/08 12:02:54
Euthymia
I had been wondering what BandLab had in mind for Harmony, another brand they have acquired.

I'm a longtime fan of the old Harmony guitars. Whoever Meng and co. got to design these guitars (and that amp), I flat out think these axes are sex on wheels.

(and for you "how is this company going to survive" people, this might go some way toward answering your questions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hSB_dOR_U
2018/12/08 19:27:04
Brian Walton
I sincerely hope this is successful for them.

As for answering questions about "how is this company going to survive"  The last place I'd want to invest money in is an electric guitar manufacturing business (and I'm a guitar player).  Hopefully the market for such things is better than it is in the USA.  

https://qz.com/1013293/rock-and-roll-is-dead-sales-of-fender-and-gibson-electric-guitars-prove-it/

Again, I really hope this generates profit...just pointing out what I thought was fairly common knowledge.
2018/12/08 20:10:25
Toddskins
I LOVE guitar, especially electric, but I gave it my best several years ago and it's just not my instrument.  Too difficult.  I'm a pianist at heart, and synthesist, too.

So much to comment on regarding that very cool video.

1) Does Jeremy have a twin brother there?  And they both work for BandLab?
2) Was the Harmony amp being played through at the end (with the white front) surrounded by blue (or black) leather/vinyl?  'Looked blue to me, and how gorgeous!
3) Who is the interviewer that played the guitar?

That equipment looks very, very nice.
2018/12/09 10:06:21
Euthymia
Brian Walton
As for answering questions about "how is this company going to survive"  The last place I'd want to invest money in is an electric guitar manufacturing business (and I'm a guitar player).  Hopefully the market for such things is better than it is in the USA.  

https://qz.com/1013293/rock-and-roll-is-dead-sales-of-fender-and-gibson-electric-guitars-prove-it/

Again, I really hope this generates profit...just pointing out what I thought was fairly common knowledge.

At the end of the article, they posted a rebuttal by the CEO of Fender:

"Fender CEO Andy Mooney told Quartz via email that Fender currently has under $100 million in debt, less than half the amount it had in 2012. 'Sales of fretted instruments are in great shape and Fender’s electric guitar and amp revenues have been steadily rising for several years.'"

And I would not look to Gibson for indication of the health of the electric guitar industry as a whole. I think the guy who was running the place was, frankly, incompetent.
2018/12/09 10:51:37
kennywtelejazz
Those look like Very Nice Guitars .

I can certainly see myself playing them

I can be reached at ...............

Kenny
2018/12/10 15:53:07
Brian Walton
Euthymia
Brian Walton

At the end of the article, they posted a rebuttal by the CEO of Fender:

"Fender CEO Andy Mooney told Quartz via email that Fender currently has under $100 million in debt, less than half the amount it had in 2012. 'Sales of fretted instruments are in great shape and Fender’s electric guitar and amp revenues have been steadily rising for several years.'"

And I would not look to Gibson for indication of the health of the electric guitar industry as a whole. I think the guy who was running the place was, frankly, incompetent.

Agree that Gibson isn't the benchmark for a properly run business.  However, Fender's argument of we are less worse off than we were isn't a strong selling point to me.  

I'd think you would be hard pressed to find a mid-high volume electric guitar maker that is doing "really well" in the current USA market.  Can't speak to other markets.  
2018/12/10 22:02:02
Steev
WOW, this is just TOO COOL! And another reason to LOVE Bandlab!
2018/12/10 22:43:02
TheSteven
Cool guitars!
2018/12/12 01:09:09
Euthymia
I remember guitars being pronounced dead in the '80's when synths were all the rage. Haircut 100 and A Flock of Seagulls had supposedly laid them to rest.

And of course, there's the famous story about the record company executive who passed on The Beatles because he thought guitar bands were passe.

So I'm inclined to roll my eyes each time guitar music or rock music or whatever is pronounced dead, and kick back and wait for the next Beatles or Ramones or Sex Pistols or Nirvana or Green Day or Oasis or whoever are the next ones who are going to pick up axes and connect with disaffected youth. And yes, I know that my list ends decades ago, but I'm 57, okay? The newer guitar bands I like aren't aimed at disaffected youth. Wooden Shjips and Mugstar aren't teen sensations.

As long as we produce pissed-off young people, electric guitars and the music played with them are unlikely to become entirely obsolete.
2018/12/12 01:32:25
Jesse G
I never actually realized that BandLab was so big of a company.

I own a Mono Bass case and never new that they had acquired the Mono brand
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account