• SONAR
  • Midi Interface with Splat or Bandlab Sonar and Win 10...?
2018/12/17 04:31:59
Teds_Studio
It's been a while since I've had a chance to do much music stuff.  But I'm wanting to get back at it and do some new stuff.  I know that most folks are getting away from the hardware midi synths and going mostly with virtual synths these days...at least I'm assuming they are.  But I'm kind of old school and have several pieces of MIDI equipment including my old MOTU MTP AV USB interface.  I tried using it the other day...and I downloaded the latest driver from MOTU website for what they say will work with Win 10.  But I keep getting a blue screen and saying my PC has encountered a problem and will restart....rebooting itself.  If I don't try playing back a track that uses the MIDI interface....I have no problems.  This interface worked great for years...all the way thru Win 7.  Has anyone got the MOTU drivers to work on Win 10?  I would hate to think that all my MIDI stuff is obsolete to the point of not being able to work at all with SPlat.  Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Edited to add:
I have since built a new DAW  (two years ago) and need to update my Signature.  New system has an i7 processor and 32G ram and of course Win 10 Pro.

Signature has been edited :) .
2018/12/17 17:24:05
Jesse G
Make sure the MOTU is not being connected to a USB 3.0 port.  That happened to me with my MOTU Micro Lite Midi interface. I built a new PC and silly me added mostly all USB 3.0 ports in the back of the darn thing.  I plugged my Moto MIcro lite in the back and got a BSOD. It happened three times and then I read the manual for the Mirco Lite and it mentioned USB 2.0.

Stay away from the blue port.

2018/12/17 23:39:08
BRainbow
I totally agree.  Those MOTU units still work great even with drivers which are several years old, but USB 3 is no good for them.  The only issue I get when they are on USB 2 port is occasionally having to unplug then replug them.  Very rarely I have to reinstall the drivers.  I don't uninstall first, I just reinstall to remind my computer that the interface is connected.  Otherwise, they work fine.
2018/12/19 00:24:51
Teds_Studio
Thanks guys...!  I didn't even think of that.  New and improved is not always bigger and better :) .  Will try that first thing tomorrow.
2018/12/19 08:28:26
JoseC.
My ancient MOTU Midiexpress XT is working fine here in the latest Windows 10. It is connected to a USB 2.0 port. I bought the computer this year and most ports are 3.0, but I never connected to one of those, so I have never found problems with it.
2018/12/27 16:36:52
Teds_Studio
Well I did check my USB ports...and the MOTU was plugged into a 2.0 port already.  I am still having issues with the interface.  I did try using different ports but it didn't change anything.  It hasn't been doing the blue screen shut down as often...but the midi does stop playing for a couple of seconds...then acts like it has to "catch up" by playing several notes very fast then starts playing normal again.  It keeps doing this quite regular.  I have tried changing the MIDI buffer settings...and trying about everything I can think of but haven't found the culprit yet.  All of this same stuff worked fine for many years...but now is giving me fits.  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
2018/12/29 16:39:25
stonehedge
Did you check to see that the usb root hub is unchecked for "let windows turn off this device to save power" in power management tab of it's properties? Just a thought.
2019/01/02 01:33:54
Teds_Studio
Thanks...will check that tomorrow.  I've been pulling my hair out (not literally, don't have any to spare) trying to get this system working properly with MIDI.  It worked for decades before.
2019/01/02 05:04:33
Euthymia
Ay caramba, for all the time you've put in trying to get that poor old thing not to blue screen your system, maybe check out the price of a brand new MIDI interface with updated drivers.

I like to squeeze the last bits of usefulness out of old hardware as much as the next geek (check sig for proof), but at some point, cost:benefit says that a Midiman UNO goes for around $30.

If it served you for decades, you got your money's worth out of it.

Off the top of my head as a tech, I'd say that it's probably just too slow to keep up with that rocket sled you have it plugged into. It's tripping over its own feet. If there is some way to give it some more buffering on the system side, that might be the answer, but that might also induce latency.
2019/01/02 10:37:34
chuckebaby
I have to agree with this guy ^^^
That thing served you well over the years. The MTP Timepiece came out in 1996. Just let that sink in for a second.

I have plenty of gear (rack gear, controllers, DAW controllers, exc) But I wouldn't try to plug anything via USB into my Windows 10 DAW that was built in the 90's. Not even a keyboard.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account