• SONAR
  • T-Racks Leslie plugin not working with my controller's ModWheel (p.2)
2019/01/01 17:10:24
Musikman
Ok, I've been at it for awhile this morning, gonna take a break for lunch and get back here a little later one when I have more time. I tried your suggestion and it did disable the rotary effect in DP, the ModWheel doesn't do anything now, so that's good at least. But it's still not triggering the rotary in the Leslie FX plugin. I added another MIDI track and selected my controller as Input Omni and the Leslie as Output as you suggested, but to no avail. I didn't add the second Event filter to the added MIDI track, don't know what settings to use for the filter, so I couldn't try that fully.

If it helps any, in my Plugin Mgr I only have the Leslie in the VST3 Intrument, and VST Audio Effect categories, no VST2 anywhere for it. I may uninstall it and when re-installing I'll see if there even is an option to install as VST2. I'm guessing there won't be though, because on the installation I had all boxes checked, so maybe there was no VST2, but before doing that I'll check to see if there is a VST2 dll file anywhere, I haven't checked that and if it's in the scan path. So two things to check when I come back.

If you're not familiar with T-Racks, it's basically 95% audio FX processors, not instruments. You can use each or any individually, or chain them. So I'm pretty sure Sonar is seeing the Leslie as an Audio effect, not an instrument, even though in Properties I have changed it from "Configure as Tempo-based FX" to "Configure as Synth". Ck back w you later. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.
2019/01/01 17:42:44
chris.r
I think there's a setting in preferences for disabling VST2 version if you have VST3 of the same plugin installed. You may want to uncheck it.
2019/01/01 18:11:50
scook
Musikman
So I'm pretty sure Sonar is seeing the Leslie as an Audio effect, not an instrument, even though in Properties I have changed it from "Configure as Tempo-based FX" to "Configure as Synth". Ck back w you later. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Restore the original properties and use the drop down in msg #2 image #2 to Enable MIDI Input.

Since only the VST3 plug-in is shown in the plug-in manager VST3 migration is not an issue. May also want to check in preferences in the plug-in to see if their is setup involved to use MIDI to control the fast/slow rotation.

I have got to believe the IKM specs for the plug-in are correct and the plug-in ships both VST2 and VST3 formats. Make sure the VST2 is not in the excluded list.
2019/01/01 20:40:57
scook
Are you sure the plug-in can use MIDI data directly? I could not find the documentation on the IKM site. If it does not and most FX plug-ins do not then there are two ways to use a controller manipulate the plug-in in SONAR, ACT and remote control.
2019/01/01 23:10:55
Musikman
I'm not sure it can tbh. The user "puranon" on the IKM forum (https://cgi.ikmultimedia....;t=15178&start=45) seems sure that it can't be done, and that IKM devs will need to send out a fix for that. He said "This was reported on release. No way to control the Slow/Fast Leslie speed switch. I saw it explained on this forum within days."   He also said "VST3 MIDI control doesn't work. VST2 does" He suggested I delete the VST3 dll file from the system, which I guess would be the same as re-installing the software and omitting the VST3 version.

scook
Are you sure the plug-in can use MIDI data directly? I could not find the documentation on the IKM site. If it does not and most FX plug-ins do not then there are two ways to use a controller manipulate the plug-in in SONAR, ACT and remote control.

I'm not really sure, and I couldn't find any info either. Pretty sure the guy in that YT video I posted a link to did it using ACT. He mentioned he was using a control surface (not sure if that is the same as midi controller)  and at around 17:00 into the video he pulls down a  menu for ACT, when I looked in my Sonar menu I didn't have that option, unless he was using an older (or newer) version of Sonar.  . You would have to watch and listen what he says. Anyhow, I tried the ACT and didn't seem to do anything. In the videos I've seen, you click the ACT/learn button, then click the function on the plugin you want it to learn, then move the knob/wheel on your controller, then click ACT button again. A window is then supposed to pop up confirming, but I never got the confirmation window to pop up. So either I didn't do it correctly or it doesn't work with this plugin. I tried it a few times, nothing. As for the "remote control" I don't really know how that is done, never did it before. 
I can't imagine during development that they missed something as obvious as this though.  I will try what you suggested though and lyk later on. 
2019/01/02 04:09:52
Musikman
scook
Restore the original properties and use the drop down in msg #2 image #2 to Enable MIDI Input.
Since only the VST3 plug-in is shown in the plug-in manager VST3 migration is not an issue. May also want to check in preferences in the plug-in to see if their is setup involved to use MIDI to control the fast/slow rotation.

I have got to believe the IKM specs for the plug-in are correct and the plug-in ships both VST2 and VST3 formats. Make sure the VST2 is not in the excluded list.

I tried going back to original properties as you suggested, and in the drop down selected Enable Midi Input, but that didn't seem to change anything. The original properties boxes that are checked are as follows: Enable As Plugin, Config as Tempo-Based Effect, Enable Delay Compensation, Enable Mono Processing, Max Used Inputs = 2.

I unchecked “Hide Related VST2 Plugins” in the VST settings. Then I noticed there were two instances of the Leslie now in the list, figured one had to be VST2. So, in a separate project file, I loaded the VST2 Leslie, added the Event Filter to DP like before, selected Enable Midi Input in the Leslie plugin, and got the exact same result as I did using the VST3 plugin.

In the Plugin itself, there is a gear icon and it does bring up a popup window for Midi Settings, but the only settings in there are: Speed Control Change = 1, and Brake Control Change = 64. Next to both of them is a “Latch” button. I think I tried using that too, but didn't change anything. Don't know if this is helpful in any way, but that's all I can find for midi settings within the plugin.

I'm wondering.....if I have disabled the controllers for DP using the Event Filter, and my ModWheel is now filtered out from DP, then why is my Pitch Bend wheel still working? Does that confirm that the Leslie just doesn't accept a controller for the Rotary Switch, but it's accepting all other controllers?

The thing that bothers me is that guy in the YT video was using Sonar as well, and he seemed to have it working properly. I would like to know how he got it working, he said using ACT, but as I said before, it didn't work for me, but I may have not been doing it correctly, and I can't see the same option in Sonar's main menu dropdown list that he used. I'll go back tomorrow and revisit that video, maybe I can pull something off it that I didn't see before.

Well that's all I have for the moment. I'll get some sleep and check back tomorrow. Hopefully by then IKM may have an answer to my support ticket as well.
2019/01/02 16:15:56
chris.r
Speed Control is what you want = 1 (CC#1 modulation wheel)
Brake is for starting/stopping the whole rotary engine, Latch is yet another way of switching the leslie, better leave it off for now

If VST2 don't work then there's something missing in MIDI routing in Sonar... if you disable the Event Filter mfx do you see the leslie working in IKM plugin?

I'm pretty sure you can make it work also with ACT, I've done that before with another Leslie plugin, so there's the other way left for case.
2019/01/02 16:44:12
scook
Musikman
I'm wondering.....if I have disabled the controllers for DP using the Event Filter, and my ModWheel is now filtered out from DP, then why is my Pitch Bend wheel still working? Does that confirm that the Leslie just doesn't accept a controller for the Rotary Switch, but it's accepting all other controllers?
In the Plugin itself, there is a gear icon and it does bring up a popup window for Midi Settings, but the only settings in there are: Speed Control Change = 1, and Brake Control Change = 64. Next to both of them is a “Latch” button. I think I tried using that too, but didn't change anything. Don't know if this is helpful in any way, but that's all I can find for midi settings within the plugin.

The pitch wheel is not a separate from the CC events. From the info provided it seems the mod wheel controls the speed and sustain pedal toggles spinning.

Leave the plug-in properties alone. They are fine at their defaults.

It is all about the MIDI routing. Make sure the input echo is enabled. Just like when playing a synth, no input echo no sound. Maybe try something simple like putting the plug-in on an audio track with an audio clip in it and see if you can get it working there. Forget about DP for the moment. Just concentrate on setting up the leslie plug-in.
2019/01/02 21:48:02
Musikman
Just tried all that, doesn't work on a separate track with just audio and no DP, doesn't work with sustain pedal or modwheel, doesn't work with VST2 or VST3, doesn't work when I disable the Event Filter, nothing spinning at all unless I click that rotary switch with the mouse, then it works.

I've read the manual about using ACT, but I may be doing something wrong because I tried it several times. I clicked on the ACT button on the Leslie Plugin, then clicked on the rotary switch, then moved my ModWheel, then clicked again on the ACT button, nothing happened. I thought that was the correct way to do it according to the documentation I read on it.  I believe it may work with ACT because the guy in the YT video I had posted here earlier mentions using ACT and his worked with Sonar.  If it's not too much trouble, can someone please give me an accurate step-by-step on how to proceed using ACT, then I'll try it again and maybe I can get it that way. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I still have yet to hear back from IKM Support, it could be they need to bug fix this, unless maybe we can get it going with ACT. I am still baffled why they didn't factor this in when they created the plugin in the first place. Any keyboard/organ player is going to want to use his/her left hand to control the rotary speakers, it's just common sense! My friend has a real B3 organ, and the rotary switch is mounted on the left side and controlled with the left hand, always been that way. What did IKM expect us to do, play left handed and control the rotary with our right hand using the mouse??? Makes no sense at all, and Hammond themselves played a part in the design!
2019/01/02 22:43:49
scook
To test if the problem lies in the plug-in, try a plug-in known to work.

For example, TH3 has MIDI learn. Here is an easy test:
Drop it into an audio FX bin,
"Enable MIDI Input" in the VST3 drop down above the TH3 UI,
Add a MIDI track w/ input set to your controller, output to TH3, enable input echo
Drag a component from the right in TH3 into the TH3 workspace, I used the "Cry Maybe" pedal
right-click on the component and select "learn Global MIDI"
move the mod wheel back and forth on the controller
click OK on the TH3 MIDI learn dialog
the TH3 component should now react to the mod wheel.

To clear the setup in TH3:
click MIDI at the top of the TH3 UI
scroll down to the component (the Cry Mayby" is called Wah on this screen)
click CLEAR
click the X in the upper right of the MIDI options to close
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account