making a bass sound good and punchy

Author
bennym
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2007/01/29 23:24:36 (permalink)

making a bass sound good and punchy

i saw the other post about simulating a bass and had a similar question. i have recently acquired a cheap bass(probably a big part of my problem) and am looking for an inexpensive means to make it sound descent thru gtp3. i have tried running it through my focusrite trackmaster pre and adding compression, also tried running it through my pod whilst monkeying around with different settings, and tried different eq settings, but all still sounds thin, crappy, and well...cheap! is there a simple remedy/inexpensive gear to make it sound descent without investing a bunch in bass gear? the 6-string is my thing, and i only bought the bass to finish my tunes. if anybody has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated. also, anyone used the behringer bass v amp? i would be willing to invest in that if it would make it sound markedly better. thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Replies Related Threads

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: making a bass sound good and punchy 2007/01/30 01:11:10 (permalink)
    It would probably be helpful if you posted a clip. Its hard to say what's wrong with something you can't hear.
    lunarossa
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: making a bass sound good and punchy 2007/01/30 08:19:55 (permalink)
    Hey bennym:
    I also wanted bass to finish my tunes, and although I used to be a bass player, don't have one anymore. I used my guitar and followed the tips onsimulating bass by lowering the pitch an octave in the track settings. It owrks, but didn't sound great.
    Now I know I lot of people on here don't like Amplitube, but I simply tried the pre-set bass settings that come with it, fiddled a bit, and I got what I wanted no problem. You can get thick and muddy, or thinner and punchy, just tweak it some>
    nozhayr
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: making a bass sound good and punchy 2007/02/03 12:08:07 (permalink)
    My personal philosophy is that if you want a great sound, you have to start with a great sample. It's difficult to take a sub-standard tone and "fix" it with electronic means. I've not tried Amplitube, so Luna may be on to something there. For me, the "octave down" guitar sounded to obvious. I recall having an old Hondo bass about a billion years ago, that no matter what I did, it sounded like a piano. Instead of manipulating your current tone electronically, maybe try hot-rodding your bass with a hefty aftermarket bridge and sweet pickups? Might even be a cool project that churns out a retro-fitted bass tone from Hell. Ok, I'm just commenting and as usual am no help whatsoever.
    My $.02
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: making a bass sound good and punchy 2007/02/04 00:22:03 (permalink)

and yes upgrade to a better pickup,
    post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/02/04 04:52:09
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: making a bass sound good and punchy 2007/02/18 22:45:03 (permalink)
    All the tips you'll ever need.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=102911

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1