making looping samples work with dp / rapture

Author
gamblegold
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2006/08/26 21:18:35 (permalink)

making looping samples work with dp / rapture

i searched the forums and can't find anything that directly answers my questions, to wit:

i have been importing some .wav files into dp to make some 'drone' sounds for a project. many of the files i grab (native to db) seem to loop endlessly. others, that i grab from outside the program, play once and stop. i'm trying to figure out how to make the ones that stop play endlessly while the key is pressed, like the native ones.

i have sonar4pe and tried working with the loop constructor but it doesn't make any sense to me and nothing i've tried (so far) enlightens me as to how to accomplish this.

can someone provide or point me to where information exists on how to do this? is there a simple (free? low-cost?) editor that i can use just to plug in a couple of 'flags' if that's all they need?

anyone?

tia!

11 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/08/26 22:02:28 (permalink)
    can someone provide or point me to where information exists on how to do this?
    The sfz format: The Basics
    is there a simple (free? low-cost?) editor that i can use just to plug in a couple of 'flags' if that's all they need?
    Notepad in WinXP. Any .wav file that's under 3000 individual samples in length with be treated as an oscillator (looping waveform). Anything over that with play through once as a sample. If you want to force the longer sample to loop, you can create a simple .sfz file like this:

sample=name of target sample.wav
    oscillator=on

Save it with an .sfz file extension (manually) in Notepad, and place it next to where your targeted sample file is. Then load the .sfz file (in place of the sample) in the Load Multisamples slot on the synth. There are several other options and routes to take, but this is a basic and safe one. Note that forcing some samples as oscillators might produce unexpected results in an audible sense. You might try truncating extra-long .wavs to under 3000 samples in an audio editor like Sound Forge, Audition, or even Audacity, and they'll become oscillators automatically (without resorting to an .sfz file).
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/08/27 02:42:20 (permalink)
    You could also use a wave editor to set loop points in the wave file itself, which will may well be the best way to go with longer waves...Dimension should then read the loops when you import the wave into an oscillator (if I am remembering this correctly). I tend to use Zero-X's Seamless Looper, which will search for potential loop points and allow you to audition them quickly, until you find one that works well...it's rare for it not to find at least one good set of loop points.
    Syntech
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/08/27 10:34:49 (permalink)
    If you are trying to import longer samples (not wavetables) you could set the loop-points from within an audioeditor.
    I'm using SoundForge (not the cheapest one), but most audio edtors should have something like this:
    Menu -> Special -> Edit Sample -> Sustaining -> Infinite Loop

edit the loop points, save the wave and then create a .sfz file with this information:

<region>
    sample=your_sample.wav
    loop_mode=loop_continous

You can also set the loopmode/points from within a .sfz file like this (if you know the loop points in the sample):

<region>
    sample=your_sample.wav
    loop_mode=loop_continous
    loop_start=xxx // loopstart in samples (not in time)
    loop_end=xxx // loopend in samples (not in time)

These examples will map the same sample across the whole keyboard though. If you are using more then one sample, you should create a <region> for each sample and use the

lokey=
    hikey=
    pitch_keycenter=

within that region. Check out the sfz format on rgc:audio homepage as b rock mentioned above.
    post edited by Syntech - 2006/08/27 10:52:15
    gamblegold
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/08/27 16:18:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

can someone provide or point me to where information exists on how to do this?The sfz format: The Basics

thanks - this is/will be extremely useful.

Any .wav file that's under 3000 individual samples in length with be treated as an oscillator (looping waveform).

here you lose me. forgive my ignorance but, to me, a wavfile is the sample (this is largely due to being normally a 'synth' guy and not one to have spent alot of time messing about with samples until lately).

so, when you say '3000 individual samples' and i am looking at a wav file which, for all that i can tell, contains 10.5 seconds of sounds, what constitutes a 'sample' of one (1) verses 3000? in other words, if a sample doesn't loop it must therefore be over 3000 (there would be no other reason)?

thanks!
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/08/27 16:40:09 (permalink)
    If you view the wave file in a audio editor you can display your files as samples not time. This is a important tool to have makeing sample sets. In soundforge it a snap to change to/from time/samples

This might seems hard at first but you ace this and much is opened for your sound sculpting.

Sonar 5- Vegas 6, Pentagon, Z3ta+ ,SFZ+ ,Fm7, Tassman3, Vocator, SoundForge 6, Vsampler 3, Project 5-2, Dimension Pro, Rapture and 2 kick ass DawBox machines:)+)
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/08/27 16:53:08 (permalink)
    a wavfile is the sample
    Larry's got you covered while I was typing a mathematical approach. Yeah, there's got to be a better way to describe this. True, it's a sample, as in it was 'sampled" from an audio source, and that's one definition of the word in common use. It's also a unit of measure, as used in an equation such as 'sample rate'. If you have a file that's 10.5 seconds long, and your sample rate is set to 44.1K, you'd have 10.5 seconds X 44,100 samples per second, for a total length of 463,050. And that result would be in 'individual samples'.

Conversely, if you have the same sample rate in your file, but you're looking for 3000 samples' worth of that, you'd end up with a file that's about 68 milliseconds long. (Damn, where's the calculator? Someone check me back.)
    lawapa
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/08/28 20:48:33 (permalink)
    Tom is right as always. Math can get you there but remember, A good audio editor has tools for your sampling work that are way more indispencible. And if you intend to further you reach into this area you will need the tools. It can really take both Rapture and Dpro into a personal space where not only the great content included comes into play but your imagination. Rene and Cake have made this possible with a lot of thought. And believe me when I say it works very well. It's is there waiting for you whenever your ready.
    jonkuzma
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/09/04 20:21:52 (permalink)
    Hi. I am new to this also. What is notebook? I am on a mac. Don;t know if that matters.But are what is being said here to do with a very short sounding sample? Thanks..Also will audacity create a file that can loop? or does it have to be made into a sfz file thing? JON
    jonkuzma
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/09/05 05:36:03 (permalink)
    Hi. I am interested in understanding the sample aspect of rapture. Am I correct in assuming that the sample has to be,for lack of a better way of saying it. A very short file so it can be then seen and used as an oscillator in rapture? I am using a mac so I still don't know what notepad is. I downloaded a free "notepad" item from the finale site. It seems to be just a music notation tool that then plays back what you sribed into the staf.I am also trying to find a soundfont item for mac that will allow me to create the sfz file type.I use AU so VST won't work.I am totally lost here so I am very much grateful for anyones help and advice. JON
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/09/05 05:58:35 (permalink)
    Notepad is a Windows text file editor.

SFZ files are simply text files with the .sfz suffix that contain pointers to samples and paramaters on how to use/play them. You can use whatever text editor a Mac comes with to create them.

There's a link above to the documentation on the sfz file format, as well as the examples above. You can make an oscillator out of a longer file, provided you make a sfz file to go with it

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    lawapa
    RE: making looping samples work with dp / rapture 2006/09/05 20:21:17 (permalink)
    And you can set the loop point directly from notepad within the sfz file itself. It's looping in the blind but I've done that. Why? I have soundforge and loop ok using that but I just wanted to see what SFZ would do in the blind. Not bad.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1