mastering techniques

Author
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
2011/02/08 11:45:59 (permalink)

mastering techniques

im ready to mixdown and now thinking ahead to mastering,i plan on exporting my tracks in stereo so i can use them to open a new project to master it with...is this normal procedure?..i also plan on setting up some effects such as channel strip,boost 11 in the fx bin on the master track..has anyone else here had good results with mastering on x1 and if so please elaborate.
thank you for your insight
post edited by chuckebaby - 2011/02/08 11:48:00

9 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/08 13:17:31 (permalink)
    SONAR - all of them - provide a fine mastering platform.  A lot of stuff is not as easy as on a dedicated stereo editor (say, Sound Forge, which I use), but you can work around SONAR's limitations.  It is easier to make cuts and edits w/ a stereo editor, rather than bouncing, and stuff like that.  Audio wise, SONAR is fine.

How I do it is to export my mix as a 24 bit "mix" and add that to the SONAR project.  Now I have a numbered mix attached to the project and I don't touch that.  What I do is make a copy of it and put it in another folder - masters or some name like that.  Now open a new SONAR project and bring that file into it and you can start to work.

I haven't used the mastering effects in SONAR to master.  I got Voxengo's elephant limiter and Curve EQ before Cake came out with those and have no real reason to change.  You can pick up Voxengo's stuff cheap and it is really good.  If not, I'm sure Cake's mastering stuff will work well.  I'd use the Eq and Multiband comp, not boost 11 or the ProChannel.   Alright, probably the ProChannel EQ, which I love, and maybe the SSL bus comp but I haven't tried that for mastering.  Boost 11 doesn't work for me, esp. since I have Elephant.

Mastering is like mixing, in that there are rules and tricks, but it is basically coming up w/ your own variations of tried and true techniques.  You could use both the ProChannel and the Multiband.  On vox and masters it is quite common to use a fast time on the compressor to shape the sound and level down transients while following it with a slower compressor to fill out the sound and raise the overall volume.  Nowdays, I use an analog compressor combined with hardware dsp.  Another thing, don't try to make your song sound as loud as the latest commercial CD.  Those guys have more experience, better tools and perfect rooms.  Even then, getting a -.1 dB average level sounds, well, bad.  Strained.  Undynamic.  And some other words that would break the TOS.  Try for something more natural sounding -1 dB or lower.  Your stuff will sound better and no one will notice the volumen difference.

Keeping that in mind, experiment, and realize it will take some time to grab the basics of mastering w/o butchering your wonderful mix.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/08 13:41:37 (permalink)
    at,great ideas bro,thank you for the insight,i like alot of your ideas and will be taken into colaboration with what i will try and acheve
    agape
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/08 14:52:32 (permalink)
    One thing I like to do is to mix certain instruments together in a wav file, export them and then use these to create my mastered track in a new project.

For instance I will work on the mix until I feel it is ready to be mastered. Then I will export all the guitar tracks. Say perhaps the bass and drums together, vocals together and so on. This gives me the option of applying more compression and low end to the drums, more highend to the vocals or whatever is needed for a particular song. I will often apply a limiter to each individual track so that the peaks in that particular zone can be tamed rather than it effecting the enitre track. Another thing I do is then apply an effect like channel tools to say the guitars or keyboards or backing vocals to clear up some room in the middle of the mix for the lead vocals. After that I then take a mixed down stereo track and add a few final touches to it and check to make sure it is loud enough.

In other words I get my mix close, then narrow down the number of tracks I am working with, mix those with mastering in mind and then apply anything that is still needed in that final step. Hope that helps!
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/08 16:33:53 (permalink)
    Agape,

you can do much of that in SONAR during mixing - use buses (guitars/drums/backing vocals etc) to route your "stems." Then, in addition to your track comps and eqs, you can add another in the fx bin of the bus.  Does much of what you are talking about without the extra step.  Many people work this way.

Coming up with the bus mixes or stems (as they are called) is another way to mix.  If you like it better, fine.  Lots remixers get these so they can re-arrange the song and mix.  Makes it easy to restructure the song, drop out whole instruments and add your own.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    agape
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/08 22:13:55 (permalink)
    Yeah, I have been doing that lately but sometimes it is just easier to start fresh. Sometimes I have 40 or 50 tracks going so it is eaiser to break it all down to just 4-5 tracks and keep it cleaner.
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/09 03:09:07 (permalink)
    Some good tools, tips and techniques here. I want to add something that may be slightly controversial.

(ideally) You shouldn't really master in the same room that you mixed in.

Any judgement errors in your mix, due to variabilities in your room acoustics, will be amplified when you start throwing frequency fx about.

It doesn't make it impossible, just harder.

Child
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/09 04:30:31 (permalink)
    The latest Computer Music Magazine has a nice article about recording and editing acoustic recordings. There's a nice description of 4-stage compressing of a track, the how and why.
    Never tried it that way yet, but I surely will.
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2011/02/09 04:51:13

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/09 08:01:15 (permalink)
    I use a minimalist approach to mixing and mastering (sweetening and polishing).

First off, I use as few tracks in the project as possible. many times only 5 to 8 tracks average. My 2 newest tunes have 5 tracks each with one master bus. I insert various FX...EQ, reverb, compression,  directly into the individual track FX bin. I often pop Ozone into the master bus...sometime after most of the tracking is done.......usually that's all that goes in there. On occasion, I use guitar busses and vocal busses but only if I have more than one of those sort of tracks.

I end up mixing and "mastering" right in the project. I find that quite often, when I place Ozone into the master, depending on the settings, I need to go back and tweeze some of the levels in the tracks. If I was working outside of the project, with a stereo mix, I'd have to go back and rework the project, then export, then polish..... by keeping it all in one place, my workflow is smoother.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/09 08:03:43

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    peterdell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:mastering techniques 2011/02/09 08:51:11 (permalink)
    So all the body have to one inside to have master of the one thing.  So I have to all the time to make repair to electronic device. So starting to make electronic device to not proper way repair it. So after to make master of the electronic to make starting device it.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1