mastering tips

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: mastering tips 2006/08/29 22:00:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: yep
To recap what jack said: ideally, your main input and output meters should never hit the "clip" light (0dB), which is slightly different from "in the red," since sonar's meters turn red at -6, if I'm not mistaken, as a kind of early warning. At the inputs and outputs, any information above 0dB will be simply chopped off (clipped) and will sound nasty.

that is what i meant to say... =) the red bit is ok on the meters, but the peak dB number stays yellow (over -6dB) until it clips, at least in sonar 3. i typically put a multiband on the master bus to limit the peaks but set so there's no compression or gain. so basically a hard limiter which keeps things below clipping. once i've got the tracks sounding the way i like then i play with the multiband to find that spot between hot signal and over-compressed.

- jack the ex-cynic
chrismar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: mastering tips 2006/10/25 13:50:46 (permalink)
1. There are a lot of solutions for mastering but ultimately your music is in the hands of the engineer so you need to know what to expect.
2. Listen carefully to some of their finished product.
3. Realize that no matter what you want you can't add tonality to a particular frequency that no longer exists.
4. And you can't pull clean sound out of saturated or overly compressed tracks.
5. SO if you want great mastering leave some overhead and create dynamic mixes.
6. Most mastering is a product of multiple sessions so make sure you budget possible additional time.
7. Just like everything in life, there's no way to compare if you don't have an alternative.
8. It is a wise investment to take one of your best tunes and have it mastered by two or three different engineers at different labs. You will be amazed at the difference. And you will know which sound you like enough to commit to.

Be prepared.

Chris Mar
Junski
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1570
RE: mastering tips 2006/11/27 04:48:15 (permalink)
Anybody here mastering w/ separations? - http://www.johnvestman.com/separations.htm

A sort of summary found @ -http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=480862#480862

Any advantages on "Home mastering"?

Junski
post edited by Junski - 2006/11/28 16:13:39

SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: mastering tips 2007/04/17 11:27:40 (permalink)
Alright there YEP - I'd wandered across here from the Guitar Tracks Forum - gotta say I am now experimenting with some of your tips; they really are making a BIG difference to the sound; awesome was the right word!

Cheers
atreal1_1
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: mastering tips 2007/04/18 01:25:49 (permalink)
I have a question for anyone really. If I know that Im NOT planning on sending my final mix out to a Mastering Engineer, why soundnt one simply record with the signal as hot as possible? Like instead of recording some acoustic guitar and leaving plenty of room, why wouldnt you just make it come in at say -3 db, then just mix it down later? Wouldnt that make it much easier to achieve a final output level thats much closer to commercial volumes? thx
gnie
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
RE: mastering tips 2007/04/18 02:00:46 (permalink)
It isn't necessary.
There's a great deal of relevant material in the forum archives.
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: mastering tips 2007/04/18 20:07:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: atreal1_1

I have a question for anyone really. If I know that Im NOT planning on sending my final mix out to a Mastering Engineer, why soundnt one simply record with the signal as hot as possible? Like instead of recording some acoustic guitar and leaving plenty of room, why wouldnt you just make it come in at say -3 db, then just mix it down later? Wouldnt that make it much easier to achieve a final output level thats much closer to commercial volumes? thx

Whether to record loud or to leave extra headroom is a decision that depends on the recording meidium, not on whether you are going to hire a mastering engineer. With 24 bit recording destined for 16-bit medium, there is no advantage to recording with the levels hot, unless you count not having to raise a fader "much easier," but that doesn't even make sense unless it's just a one-track recording.

You can of course record at whatever level you want, but the practical advantages of recording with headroom are significant. And moreover, if you are making a typical multitrack recording, then individual tracks that are at -3dB are apt to be too loud and to clip the main outs when you mix them together, if you want to use that kind of logic.

Finally, if you read this thread, you will see that "closer to commercial volumes" is not necesarily desireable, especially as the output from a bedroom studio.

Cheers.
atreal1_1
RE: mastering tips 2007/04/18 20:59:25 (permalink)
yep,

I heard that there is a "no fader above 0" rule (I hope that doesnt sound uninformed). Was that something that was only really relevant in analog world??? I do see that there is many things that prevent me from getting to commercial volumes, but I figured that was a good way of getting most of the way there easily. Finally, what are some of the significant advantages of recording with headroom. I've been doing this stuff only a year and a half now, I have TONS to learn, and everyone here is really helpful and informative, and for that I THANK YOU ALL !!!!
yep
RE: mastering tips 2007/04/18 22:08:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: atreal1_1

yep,

I heard that there is a "no fader above 0" rule (I hope that doesnt sound uninformed). Was that something that was only really relevant in analog world???

Yeah, that's basically an analog thing. With 24 bit digital the issues of noise increase/resolution loss are basically insignificant.

Finally, what are some of the significant advantages of recording with headroom. I've been doing this stuff only a year and a half now, I have TONS to learn, and everyone here is really helpful and informative, and for that I THANK YOU ALL !!!!

Primarily that you can just record and not worry about managing your levels.

If you spend half an hour trying to record a vocal or acoustic instrument track with the peak levels coming in at say -3 you can get an idea of how frustrating it is. It is almost impossible to push the record levels that close to zero without occasional clipping from signal over 0dB, or without having the level drop down quieter than you meant it to be. Musicians just don't perform that way.

This basically forces the recordist who is trying to record hot, consistent levels to use a limiter or compressor on the incoming audio to bring up the level while avoiding digital overs. Using a compressor/limiter at the tracking stage is fine except that it can be helpful to save compression/limiting decisions for the mixing stage for a whole bunch of technical and aesthetic reasons.

With 24 bit digital you can basically throw all those rules out the window and save all the time and frustration of trying to tweak your record levels, and all the second-guessing of compressor settings, and all the frustrations from getting that one perfect take and realizing it's clipped and so on.

You just set the levels low enough to allow plenty of headroom so there's no clipping and hit record. It's a much easier, more creative, and more spontaneous way to work, and it avoids all the potential pitfalls from improperly-set compressors and so on. It's the way recording should be, IMO, just common sense.

Cheers.
atreal1_1
RE: mastering tips 2007/04/18 22:36:32 (permalink)
Yep, as always, well written, informative, enjoyable! thanks for ALL the advice.
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
RE: mastering tips 2008/03/05 19:15:29 (permalink)
Hello - I have been reading your post on Mastering at home with HS 6XL and it is about time I've found an article that promotes the idea that well mixed songs can then be "mastered" with the processes you suggest. Since I am a relative rooky I have a few "dumb" questions to clarify a few terms for me that you used. Forgive my ignorance:

Digital overs -

RMS level (83 dB SPL) - I've seen RMS before but not sure what it stands for and how would I check that my monitors are at or near this ? Mine are Edirol MA -15 D's)

One other quick question - WIth a recent keyboard purchase - an M-AUdio Oxygen 8 I got a disc for Abelton Live 6-Lite. Not to appear as a trader on this forum - but wondering if you have any opinion of it versus Sonar...

Thanks
yep
RE: mastering tips 2008/03/05 19:48:45 (permalink)
1. Check back in the thread for some more detail, but "RMS" is a common averaging method for sound level, or any alternating signal. The most important thing to understand is that the instantaneous "peak" level of a sound is almost completely meaningless in terms of judging how "loud" a sound is, and we need to distinguish between these instant peaks and some kind of "average" loudness or signal level.

For example, when a player plucks an acoustic guitar string, the initial snap from the pick attack might be several times louder than the resonating "body" of the note. It is not that initial attack that we perceive to be the "volume" or "loudness" of the guitar, but the average level of the note or chord. RMS averaged level comes closer to measuring the loudness we actually hear. The technical details of how the averaging works and why we need special averaging methods for alternating signal are a topic for another thread.

2. Ableton Live is a great program, but completely different than Sonar. Sonar is a full-blown recording-studio-in-a-box, but Live is a more specific tool designed to create real-time compositions on the fly by manipulating and triggering loops. Many people use both-- live to sequence and generate loop-based music or backing tracks, and Sonar to actually record and mix the output from Live and other sources. FWIW, cakewalk makes a very good program called Project5 that is similar to Live in many respects.

Cheers.
Philip
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: mastering tips 2008/03/05 23:03:57 (permalink)
Completely Off Topic:

Interesting how this 'holy' mastering discourse actually resurrected on the 3rd year.

With inexplicable attention to detail, purity of technique, and compassionate simplicity for even the least discriminating of music nerds (me) ... I durst not ask any more questions (yet).

I'm almost persuaded to leave my comfort-'Zone3 for another painful reality check ...

... and toss this into the 'holiest of holy' stacks for repeated ponderings(s).

Man, I'm glad God made musical geniuses and saviors for us struggling musical aspirates!
post edited by Philip - 2008/03/05 23:17:00

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: mastering tips 2008/03/06 14:38:40 (permalink)
Hey, here's an oldie but a goodie that's come back to us from the time machine...

Yep, have you come to any new conclusions since you wrote this monograph in 2005, that you'd like to share?

--kwgm
kjs00333
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: mastering tips 2008/03/10 09:31:30 (permalink)
I get my mixes to sound as good as possible and then run a plugin called "Ozone3" from Izotope. Works great and my sound on many different players sound professional.
Philip
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: mastering tips 2008/03/10 11:26:12 (permalink)
Kyle, for many of us (on this forum), Ozone3 works fine (albeit, not as well as a mastering engineer) and is an excellent learning tool for EQ, Reverb, Compression, harmonic excitation, dynamic freq enhancements, and stereo widths of various freqs.

Even after months of Ozone3 myself, the preset "Mix-Master" (with minor tinkering) has brought several of my mixes the right punch at the right frequencies. I'm pretty sure mastering engineers have Ozone3 in their arsenal of magic.

It would be interesting to know more of what Yep may have to say on this.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
yep
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/23 10:59:21 (permalink)
In response to a PM:

Hi Yep

I recently tried your home mastering techniques with very good results indeed. Thanks for that - worked a treat, and, for once, got an album that was consistent in RMS levels and track spacing etc.

One question I have is, when I'm at the stage of adjusting the OVERALL level of the album (Stage 2 I think!), this only seems to work for me using the TRIM control - is this okay?? I couldn't seem to raise the *meters* any other way.....kinda confused me, but TRIM worked!!
Any suggestions on that?...
I think this might be more of a "how to work Sonar" than a mastering question, but here goes...

First off, in the digital realm, all gain is created equal, so technically, it doesn't matter which knob or fader you use to adjust level (note that this is not true in analog, but that's a separate topic). The main thing to be careful of is to make sure you know where all of your processors and potential clip points are. Even though the "trim" level works exactly the same as the master fader, it also comes before any eq, compression, etc, and changing the trim level may affect the response of downstream processors. A lot of this is adjustable in sonar and other DAWs, and the particulars of gain-staging and signal routing in any particular program are a little outside the scope of this thread. But the principle still holds-- with digital, gain is gain, and it doesn't really matter where it comes from or when it happens, as long as you're keeping track of your processing downstream.

That said, the working practices developed over decades of multitrack audio work quite well, and in practice, the technical facts are often less relevant than the real-world usability of a system. Mix engineers have developed a standard practice of using gain knobs labeled "trim" or "gain" to control the channel input level so that a healthy, useable signal strength is being fed to the processors that will react and respond in predictable ways to favorite presets or settings. Then, the engineer typically uses the level fader to alter the mixed signal strength without changing the "sound" of the processed track. Most people find this methodology much easier to keep track of, but whatever works.

If you follow my write-up above exactly, it is a non-issue. You are mixing individual songs without much regard for the overall level, then you are dropping the completed stereo mixdowns into a new project as separate clips of audio within a single track in your DAW, then you are using track automation to adjust levels throughout the album. But again, you can use whatever tools work.
Kyle, for many of us (on this forum), Ozone3 works fine (albeit, not as well as a mastering engineer) and is an excellent learning tool for EQ, Reverb, Compression, harmonic excitation, dynamic freq enhancements, and stereo widths of various freqs.

Even after months of Ozone3 myself, the preset "Mix-Master" (with minor tinkering) has brought several of my mixes the right punch at the right frequencies. I'm pretty sure mastering engineers have Ozone3 in their arsenal of magic.

It would be interesting to know more of what Yep may have to say on this.

Well, the whole idea is to do whatever works to make the product sound subjectively better. The objective is easy to understand. The difficult aspects have to do with the ways in which we fool ourselves due to a lot of factors, but primarily the loudness effect coupled with very short auditory memory. This is how a beginner can spend a whole weekend "improving" a track just to have it come out sounding noisier, weaker, and more distorted than when they started:

Every time you add a little bit of level, the track sounds a little better. And everything adds level. So if you add a little reverb, the signal gets a little hotter, and sounds better, but maybe a little less distinct due to reverb masking. So you turn up the highs a little to add clarity, which makes it a little hotter, it sounds a little better, but could use a little more bass to balance the increased highs, so you add a little bass, which makes the signal a little hotter, and it sounds a little better, but now it's clipping, so you turn down the track level a few dB. Now the track is sounding a little weak, so you turn up the mids to get more presence. The track is also starting to sound a little dull, partly because you just turned it down, partly from all the phase distortion from all these eq boosts, partly because your ears are getting burned out from listening to clipped audio on headphones for two hours, and so on. So you turn up the treble again, and then the bass again, for the same reasons as before, and it starts clipping again. When you turn it down, it sounds like crap, so you turn to the compressor/limiter for help. When you come back to listen the next day with fresh ears, you've got a flat-topped square wave with massive phase distortion that hurts the ears to listen to. The solution? Buy more plugins (or preamps, or whatever), which will ultimately be used to add more of more to the sound that is already overloaded.

Whatever you use, whatever you do, make sure to do your before and after A/B evaluations at the same apparent loudness, so that you are compensating for the illusory benefit that comes from simply goosing the level a few dB (which all processors do). This is the single biggest step to "golden ears," and the best hype-deflater ever made. There are a lot of ways to do it, but the main thing is to make sure you do it. The understanding is worth a hundred gigabytes of presets and plugins.

Cheers.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/23 11:46:30 (permalink)
great thread!

FWIW--

i don't know crap, but i try hard.

and i've found that, in the attempts to mix my tunes, to prepare for mastering them, a lot of times if i paint myself into a corner (as described by YEP above), i simply wipe the slate clean, take all my automation and throw it in the garbage, bring all the individual track faders down from where i was, to about -1db less, and start over.

LOL

sometimes, the simplest way to cut to the chase, is to start clean.

that one fix, i just described, has improved my earlier mixes quite a bit.

and using gentle cuts, more than boosts, as far as EQ goes....... seems to work a lot better, makes for cleaner sounding tracks.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bonster
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/23 16:21:50 (permalink)
Thanks YEP, as usual your explanantions are clear and easy to understand. Many thanks :-)

Bob Wijntjes - Auckland, New Zealand

http://www.catch22.org.nz

Sonar 6PE, UA-1000, Rode K2, Sampletank 2XL, EZDrummer, P4 3.0GHz ASUS, Dual 19" LCDs
jacktheexcynic
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/23 20:47:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: yep
Whatever you use, whatever you do, make sure to do your before and after A/B evaluations at the same apparent loudness, so that you are compensating for the illusory benefit that comes from simply goosing the level a few dB (which all processors do). This is the single biggest step to "golden ears," and the best hype-deflater ever made. There are a lot of ways to do it, but the main thing is to make sure you do it. The understanding is worth a hundred gigabytes of presets and plugins.

probably the single best piece of advice on this forum, right here.

- jack the ex-cynic
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/26 15:59:05 (permalink)
Every time you add a little bit of level, the track sounds a little better. And everything adds level. So if you add a little reverb, the signal gets a little hotter, and sounds better, but maybe a little less distinct due to reverb masking. So you turn up the highs a little to add clarity, which makes it a little hotter, it sounds a little better, but could use a little more bass to balance the increased highs, so you add a little bass, which makes the signal a little hotter, and it sounds a little better, but now it's clipping, so you turn down the track level a few dB. Now the track is sounding a little weak, so you turn up the mids to get more presence. The track is also starting to sound a little dull, partly because you just turned it down, partly from all the phase distortion from all these eq boosts, partly because your ears are getting burned out from listening to clipped audio on headphones for two hours, and so on. So you turn up the treble again, and then the bass again, for the same reasons as before, and it starts clipping again. When you turn it down, it sounds like crap, so you turn to the compressor/limiter for help. When you come back to listen the next day with fresh ears, you've got a flat-topped square wave with massive phase distortion that hurts the ears to listen to. The solution? Buy more plugins (or preamps, or whatever), which will ultimately be used to add more of more to the sound that is already overloaded.

sooo true...ouch. I"ve spent weeks turning fairly good recordings to ^%$#. Not only, but every little futtle and nudge of those boosts ruins the rest of the mix too. All those individual sounds are painfully dependant on each other in that sonic community of "the song".

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/26 16:24:25 (permalink)
and i've found that, in the attempts to mix my tunes, to prepare for mastering them, a lot of times if i paint myself into a corner (as described by YEP above), i simply wipe the slate clean, take all my automation and throw it in the garbage, bring all the individual track faders down from where i was, to about -1db less, and start over.

I do this all the time. Even if I don't think I've necessarilly gotten into a corner, I'll start over. And I mean really over, removing all plugs and forcing myself to re-address the whole thing from scratch, and re-evaluate where a different plug might be better or a different way to approach it. It's really time consuming, but I've learned a lot that way. I'll usually do a Save As of the old one, just in case, so that if I don't feel like I went in the right direction I can go back to there, but generally it's always better.

And I definitely have experienced the creaping degredation thing, lots of times. And it does often have a lot to do with f/x busses. You don't realize how much the reverb (say) on a guitar track is contributing to the tone of that track and you sepnd all this time teaking it, then later you think, hmm... that's a little too much/little reverb and you crank it back/up, and then an hour later you realize that the guitar part doesn't sound right anymore and you can't figure out why because you never touched the processing on that track. I went through that SO many times at first. Or you decide that the delay bus is a little too sharp when you are tweaking track X, but forget that you have already tweaked all the other tracks that use the delay and that delay sharpness is now part of their tone, so you change it to make track X sound better, and don't realize until later that now everything else sounds a lot duller.

It also happens a lot because we know we should take a break every 30 minutes or so, but don't do it and just veg out and tweak away for hours as our ears start clamping down on the high frequency content and we aren't really hearing it right anymore, then then next day we hear this horrendously strident mix that we spent so much time on and now have to re-do.

And, on that front, create a junk track and import a song that is of similar desired production to what you are doing. Always keep it around as a sanity check and listen to it often and flip back and forth between your mix and it. It really can help to keep you grounded, both during the mixing and mastering. Actually, now that I have a decent source/monitor management system, I should get a standalone CD player for that purpose in there.
post edited by droddey - 2008/06/26 16:47:55

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
jacktheexcynic
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/26 18:24:46 (permalink)
ugh man you just described my mixing experience. in the last couple months or so i've been able to work out of those ruts to great success. when i get something where i like it, i do a save as before i hear that one little issue that will suck me into the spiral of mixing a decent project into oblivion...

- jack the ex-cynic
HotCoollMusicGirl
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 991
RE: mastering tips 2008/06/26 19:26:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: droddey

Or you decide that the delay bus is a little too sharp when you are tweaking track X, but forget that you have already tweaked all the other tracks that use the delay and that delay sharpness is now part of their tone, so you change it to make track X sound better, and don't realize until later that now everything else sounds a lot duller.

Which is just one more practical reason why it should be possible to get a list of all the controls feeding a bus. Maybe a right click option on the bus header, or on the trim control.... something that would open a "Feeding This Bus..." menu-type display... maybe with the ability to click and go to the control itself.

I can even imagine having a context-sensitive dialog open that would aggregate all of the controls feeding the bus, regardless of their source, and let you adjust them from that centralized location. That might be asking a lot. But at a minimum a list of a bus's inputting controls would be helpful.
post edited by HotCoollMusicGirl - 2008/06/26 19:49:24
JD1813
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 813
RE: mastering tips 2009/10/20 11:10:40 (permalink)
I second the tips on assembling these great posts into a book, and I've got a great 3-ring binder going right now.  Yep your thread here has helped me gain a better understanding of the separate functions of the Mix from the Mastering steps.  I don't know when a musician knows he's ready for that Mastering step, but I do know I'm not only NOT there, but most likely never will be - it all comes down to what the end-goals are of the musician.  
I'm sure that there are many of us who are creative composer types, and NOT engineer types.  Heck I don't even want to be a Mixer - but I see it as a necessary evil because that step is too hard to farm out to someone, when it can result in various stages of re-creation of portions or entire tracks needing to be redone that weren't so obvious at the outset. 
I'm aware now at this point, that the composing/writing is one step; being a "tracker", learning the techniques of recording the basic tracks into the sequencer is a 2nd step.  Learning the Mixing task is quite another huge 3rd step all by itself.  If I can get that far at all, I know I won't be wanting to make the kind of investment in gear AND in more time, to try to do my own mastering.   I am in between recording songs right now, and halted further recording when I began to finally get some understanding of the critical concepts of EQ, Reverb, and Compression.  I've found some great video tutorials on YouTube, such as this 7-part series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCi6cLmgiNQ    and others.  
Like everything else in audio, the more you learn, the more questions come up.  On and on it goes.  But literally overnight, when I learned the basics of frequencies and how various instruments & voices step on each other without adjusting EQ, I was able to make some initial adjustments and hear an immediate improvement.  Knowing that's the right direction only makes me want to learn more.  Still, my goal isn't to obtain the best and most golden ears in the world - I'm looking for a sound recording that I can be as happy listening to (and friends & family can listen to) that does the song's creation justice.  Then I want to move on to recording more songs and do likewise to bringing them into a good mix.  I doubt I'll ever be a good "Mixing Engineer" and for sure won't become a Mastering Engineer, but hopefully I can learn and apply some basic principles from the whole range of skills to improve my recordings - I think one has to keep in mind that as long as we're in the category called "home recording musicians", that enviroment and budget limitation alone, is going to cause SOME degree of built-in difficulty.  Or to put it in Clint Eastwood terms,  "A man's got to know his limitations..."          Many thanks again for such wonderful, in-depth and thoughtful posts on such complicated topics!!!   

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
RE: mastering tips 2009/10/21 02:17:59 (permalink)
Great vids those John, thanks for posting.

Why didn't I think of Youtube!

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
Alexstarr
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
Re: RE: mastering tips 2009/10/22 14:12:27 (permalink)
good stuff. definitely worthy of a bump up.

Alec

Renaissance 6-string electric (prototype) (1980), Gibson Dove (1967), Mackie 1202VLZ, Rubicon R5a, POD XT, M-Audio Radium 61 key, Roland Juno-D, Sonar 8PE, GTP3, Profire 610

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=325403
yep
RE: mastering tips 2009/11/17 22:40:23 (permalink)
batsbrew

great thread!

FWIW--

i don't know crap, but i try hard.

LOL

sometimes, the simplest way to cut to the chase, is to start clean.

that one fix, i just described, has improved my earlier mixes quite a bit.

and using gentle cuts, more than boosts, as far as EQ goes....... seems to work a lot better, makes for cleaner sounding tracks.

This is a bit off the mastering tips topic, but yeah, that's great advice. I would spin it a bit larger and say: don't get married to all your little tweaks. Anything you did before will be easy to do again, and besides, you can always save the project as a new revision.

Cheers.
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: mastering tips 2009/11/18 08:29:02 (permalink)
don't worry....

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
RE: mastering tips 2009/11/18 10:45:02 (permalink)
mmmmmmm

zero transfats.

lol

YEP-

you know, since i've written that, i've even gotten more aggressive with LOWERING my overall track levels, and really concentrating on trying to not boost when i want to hear something...

i still automate quite a bit, but don't even bother with it until i've finished mixing and tweaking eq and effects and whatnot...

back to mastering---

when taking a premastered stereo file, and balancing for eq, and looking for the final volume level whilst mastering:

is it better to look for GAIN at the compressor;
the limiter;
or a combination of both;
or favor one over the other?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1